Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 07:50 AM

31,083 posts, read 22,107,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We've had a lot of threads about crime rates in various cities, so look at those instead if you want.

That said, I don't recall people crying about the FBI data being wrong when it was way up in 2020 and again in 2021.

It's worse today than it was in 2019.
Hmmmm 2019
Except deaths due to Fentanyl. Up 600%

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/28/12208...d%20Prevention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 07:51 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Naturally politicians are going to try and minimize their shortcomings and that alone is nothing new or surprising.
However crime is clearly on the rise in many urban areas almost all run by Democrats for decades, yet they are all saying the same thing, that crime is down.

I was watching this video where a man was killed on the subway, and in the report it said 11 days prior someone was killed on the subway and multiple people were shot.
Yet the head of the transit department said crime was down if February compared to last year. Aside from the fact the month is not over, how many killings/shooting occurred last February, as it had to be at least 3 if the guy was telling the truth.
I know NYC is a cesspool of crime, drugs, and degradation, but I didn't think multiple people get killed every month riding the subway.

One of the guys in the report said he lived in NY back when the crack epidemic was occurring, and things are worse today than ever. So how are these politicians bamboozling the people in these cities to not believe their own eyes and ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf4nUN1aMk
How? They're likely suffering from--or enjoying the effects of--Leftie Delusional Disorder, plus they lie as easily as you breathe.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
So, let's recap.

-Massive changes to policing and prosecution in 2020 and 2021, these were widely touted in cities by mayors, prosecutors and also encoded in laws like bail reform in Illinois.
You don't provide anything to back up your claims, so I'm not sure which narrative you swallowed, but the "massive changes" ended up being the opposite of what RW narrative claimed. The constant talk about "defunding" ended up being increased spending on LE and increased number in police. There WERE calls for defunding, but it never materialized.

Is that why crime is down, or are we simply returning to normal? IMO its probably both.

PS Crimes are included in stats regardless of what prosecution decides to do with the case.

A majority of police agencies across the U.S. increased budgets despite 'defund' movement
https://abc11.com/defund-the-police-...fety/12324529/
An analysis of budgets for more than 100 law enforcement agencies across the country uncovered the opposite. Ninety percent of cities and counties increased spending for police between the fiscal years 2018-19 and 2021-22. None of the North Carolina cities the team analyzed reported an increase in law enforcement budgets.

Of the 10% of agencies who did decrease funding, the cuts were small with only eight agencies slashing the budget by more than 2%; a percentage many local government budget experts deem irrelevant.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:05 AM

1,705 posts, read 615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't provide anything to back up your claims, so I'm not sure which narrative you swallowed, but the "massive changes" ended up being the opposite of what RW narrative claimed. The constant talk about "defunding" ended up being increased spending on LE and increased number in police. There WERE calls for defunding, but it never materialized.

Is that why crime is down, or are we simply returning to normal? IMO its probably both.

PS Crimes are included in stats regardless of what prosecution decides to do with the case.

A majority of police agencies across the U.S. increased budgets despite 'defund' movement
https://abc11.com/defund-the-police-...fety/12324529/
An analysis of budgets for more than 100 law enforcement agencies across the country uncovered the opposite. Ninety percent of cities and counties increased spending for police between the fiscal years 2018-19 and 2021-22. None of the North Carolina cities the team analyzed reported an increase in law enforcement budgets.

Of the 10% of agencies who did decrease funding, the cuts were small with only eight agencies slashing the budget by more than 2%; a percentage many local government budget experts deem irrelevant.
It’s not just police funding that curbs crime. It is also prosecuting of criminals and holding them in jail. Criminals are being released at never seen before levels. The left is trying to change the “definition” of a crime. They say “what’s a little theft”, “what’s a little broken into car or home”? More than one democrat mayor was telling residents not to call police on people doing crime. What the hell do you think is going to happen to crime when laws are not enforced?

KISS is the rule of the day. Catch, prosecute and throw criminals in jail. KISS.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:18 AM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't provide anything to back up your claims
You mean other than NYC subway policing and the IL bail reform law.

So you make a false claim and then try to start a whole shift about defund which I never brought up.

Regretting taking you off ignore.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:24 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
It’s not just police funding that curbs crime. It is also prosecuting of criminals and holding them in jail. Criminals are being released at never seen before levels. The left is trying to change the “definition” of a crime. They say “what’s a little theft”, “what’s a little broken into car or home”? More than one democrat mayor was telling residents not to call police on people doing crime. What the hell do you think is going to happen to crime when laws are not enforced?

KISS is the rule of the day. Catch, prosecute and throw criminals in jail. KISS.
What is a felony and what is a misdemeanor is determined by most state legislatures, and the penalties.

IDK about your county or state but a few years ago, lawsuit were filed all over the country regarding keeping poor people in jail for petty crimes because they could not afford bail. The rules got changed.

My town just dropped the charges on 2000 cases because there was not the employees to handle them.

IIRC, my county has spent over 70 million bucks sending inmates to other jails due to lack of space in the county jail. It’s full with 8000+ criminals.The Harris county jail is considered by many in the business to be the largest mental health facility in the state of Texas.

How much do you think the taxpayers are willing to spend on law enforcement. That’s the question.

What’s the cost of apprehending and convicting for a misdemeanor in your county?

Old 02-27-2024, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
It’s not just police funding that curbs crime. It is also prosecuting of criminals and holding them in jail. Criminals are being released at never seen before levels.
That's the narrative, but as I said, the crimes are counted regardless of what prosecution decides to do with the case.

Quote:
You mean other than NYC subway policing and the IL bail reform law.
No, I didn't mean something else. I meant what I said

Quote:
So you make a false claim and then try to start a whole shift about defund which I never brought up.
What false claim? You talk about "massive changes", but made no attempt to explain yourself, so I assume you were referring to the defunding myth. Maybe you meant some other "massive changes". It remains a mystery.

Either way, I provided some info about the defunding myth.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:34 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Leftist DAs are choosing to not press charges and many crimes are going unreported. Instead government resources are pursuing alleged crimes where there is no injured party.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:40 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many petty crime categories were down in 2023 compared to 2022, same with January 2024 compared to January 2023, which had most categories down, some up and the overall crime index down 2.9% according to the NYPD

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/p...ime-statistics
If a flash mob ransacks a store, that is at least 1000 crimes committed in one instance. Just because the store owner doesn't press charges does not mean the crime did not occur. Every shoplifter that walks out without paying is a crime that is going unreported. Crime is UP nationwide.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:51 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
If a flash mob ransacks a store, that is at least 1000 crimes committed in one instance. Just because the store owner doesn't press charges does not mean the crime did not occur. Every shoplifter that walks out without paying is a crime that is going unreported. Crime is UP nationwide.
Does a store owner have a duty to secure their own property? An armed employee hitting a panic button and locking the door simultaneously notifying law enforcement would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies