Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 03:15 PM

9,166 posts, read 4,831,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
A good suggestion but I have found the ignore button really doesn't work well as you still see the quotes.
I have been known to DM people and let them know that no one else is responding to some particular poster, and we would appreciate it if they didn't either. (Of course, that was a long time ago.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2024, 05:47 AM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 11 days ago)

8,179 posts, read 3,636,288 times
Quote:
It's the insincerity that bothers me, particularly in the poster I responded to. It's like "ISRAEL IS COMMITTING GENOCIDE KILLING CHILDREN, TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE", then as a footnote it's like "oh yeah, Hamas maybe did a few bad things too".
Who was it who described 9/11 as "some people did something"? Might be a way of describing the atrocities of Oct 7 as well.

Of course then we can refer to Israel's current campaign in Gaza the same way.

Old 05-31-2024, 07:54 AM

29,623 posts, read 9,841,163 times
You -- no one -- can reasonably, objectively or intelligently throw everyone who is not so entirely or blindly pro-Israeli policy under the bus of "supporting terrorists." That tactic is just too dumb for words...

"Another U.S. government official announced today she has resigned to protest the Biden administration's policy toward Israel.

At least half-a-dozen officials in the State, Defense, Education and Interior departments have done so since the war in Gaza began following Hamas' October 7 attack.

The latest official is Stacy Gilbert leaving the State Department after a 20-year career."

Amna Nawaz -- PBS Newshour

"So, when the report came out on May 10, and I read the conclusion, especially the conclusion on — that Israel was not blocking humanitarian assistance, I decided I would resign, because that was absolutely not the opinion of subject matter experts in the State Department, USAID, the humanitarian community, organizations that are working in Gaza."

-- Stacy Gilbert

No less cagey and shameful is trying to conflate long-standing objection on the part of people like the Ayatollah with people who can consider these very difficult and complicated issues with a bit more objectivity and intelligence. Like people who are even in Netanyahu's own war cabinet!

Just FYI, Benny Gantz in Netanyahu's war cabinet, said that one of its lawmakers filed a motion to dissolve Parliament. In a statement, the party said — quote — "Netanyahu, it's not too late to come to your senses. Either together, we are victorious, or you continue alone with the method of divide and rule."

Old 05-31-2024, 10:37 AM

785 posts, read 344,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Who was it who described 9/11 as "some people did something"? Might be a way of describing the atrocities of Oct 7 as well.

Of course then we can refer to Israel's current campaign in Gaza the same way.
That was Rep. Ilhan Omar, a Hamas sympathizer. She is also (in)famous for raging when the October 7th footage came out showing Hamas atrocities. Almost like she didn't want the world to know...

For your second paragraph let's be careful about getting into the moral equivalencies argument. I don't really see people trivializing the casualties in Gaza, but they put it into context in regards to Israel reacting to what is essentially a declaration of war, with an enemy that is using it's own citizens as human shields. The message has been that Hamas is ultimately responsible for all civilians casualties - both Israeli and Palestinian in Gaza.

Old 05-31-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have been known to DM people and let them know that no one else is responding to some particular poster, and we would appreciate it if they didn't either. (Of course, that was a long time ago.)
Gotcha.

Old 05-31-2024, 04:19 PM

4,773 posts, read 4,481,534 times
And now on a Friday evening ( shabbat shalom) Biden is saying there can be an agreement- if Israel stops fighting then Hamas will release women children and elderly hostages over 6 weeks.
Yeah sounds like a great idea JB. And the courtesy of doing this on a Friday so that Israel is not in a position to even address or discuss.
And again, why no confirmation ( at a Minimum) of proof of life or condition ( hello humane conditions right) of the hostages. I pray they all are alive and well but in my heart I don't think that is the case.

Old 05-31-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
And now on a Friday evening ( shabbat shalom) Biden is saying there can be an agreement- if Israel stops fighting then Hamas will release women children and elderly hostages over 6 weeks.
Yeah sounds like a great idea JB. And the courtesy of doing this on a Friday so that Israel is not in a position to even address or discuss.
And again, why no confirmation ( at a Minimum) of proof of life or condition ( hello humane conditions right) of the hostages. I pray they all are alive and well but in my heart I don't think that is the case.
This should be a total non starter.
D.O.A.

I could see a deal where the IDF would pause for a few hours, as the hostages are released, then resume wiping Hamas and all of their human shields off the face of the earth.

I have already outlined how civilian population could be spared, but we already know the so called Palestinians are not interested in that.

Old 05-31-2024, 07:09 PM

8,193 posts, read 3,749,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You -- no one -- can reasonably, objectively or intelligently throw everyone who is not so entirely or blindly pro-Israeli policy under the bus of "supporting terrorists." That tactic is just too dumb for words...

"Another U.S. government official announced today she has resigned to protest the Biden administration's policy toward Israel.

At least half-a-dozen officials in the State, Defense, Education and Interior departments have done so since the war in Gaza began following Hamas' October 7 attack.

The latest official is Stacy Gilbert leaving the State Department after a 20-year career."

Amna Nawaz -- PBS Newshour

"So, when the report came out on May 10, and I read the conclusion, especially the conclusion on — that Israel was not blocking humanitarian assistance, I decided I would resign, because that was absolutely not the opinion of subject matter experts in the State Department, USAID, the humanitarian community, organizations that are working in Gaza."

-- Stacy Gilbert

No less cagey and shameful is trying to conflate long-standing objection on the part of people like the Ayatollah with people who can consider these very difficult and complicated issues with a bit more objectivity and intelligence. Like people who are even in Netanyahu's own war cabinet!

Just FYI, Benny Gantz in Netanyahu's war cabinet, said that one of its lawmakers filed a motion to dissolve Parliament. In a statement, the party said — quote — "Netanyahu, it's not too late to come to your senses. Either together, we are victorious, or you continue alone with the method of divide and rule."
Remember, you are dealing with completely delusional Anakin/GW types here. Resignations? The resident geniuses here will tell you that all of the current administration is antisemitic, after all they cut the 2000 pound bomb supply (which is the best for urban warfare, right ) and only giving Israel the subpar ... 1500 pound bombs.

Old 06-01-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
This should be a total non starter.
D.O.A.

I could see a deal where the IDF would pause for a few hours, as the hostages are released, then resume wiping Hamas and all of their human shields off the face of the earth.

I have already outlined how civilian population could be spared, but we already know the so called Palestinians are not interested in that.
I think Israel is approaching the "law of diminishing returns" in terms of wiping out Hamas as the last stronghold Rafah is cleared. They have killed about 40% of Hamas militants (yes the percentage doesn't seem like a lot, but that is devastating to any force), eliminated many of the ground leaders, but more importantly it has dismantled the Hamas governing infrastructure of Gaza. What forces remain are holed up in caves, and it's top leadership have long since fled to luxurious safe haven's in Arab countries (and Mossad will take care of them, in time).

Some reports say the deal includes a total withdrawal of IDF forces from Gaza. Israel would never agree to that and the thought of it is horrifying - Hamas would simply build back up and we would repeat this process again in a few years. Likewise Hamas would never give up its remaining hostages, it's about the only card it has left not including keffiyeh clad college idiots.

Old 06-01-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I think Israel is approaching the "law of diminishing returns" in terms of wiping out Hamas as the last stronghold Rafah is cleared. They have killed about 40% of Hamas militants (yes the percentage doesn't seem like a lot, but that is devastating to any force), eliminated many of the ground leaders, but more importantly it has dismantled the Hamas governing infrastructure of Gaza. What forces remain are holed up in caves, and it's top leadership have long since fled to luxurious safe haven's in Arab countries (and Mossad will take care of them, in time).
Unless I hear 40% from the IDF, I will go with what Israel has stated, which is over 60%.

While Battle Damage Assessment criteria for "destroyed" indicates more than 50% casualties, in conventional war, I would hope they are not using that criteria here. This time around, they need to kill anyone who claims to be Hamas, or that looks like they may have been a fighter.

Quote:
Some reports say the deal includes a total withdrawal of IDF forces from Gaza. Israel would never agree to that and the thought of it is horrifying - Hamas would simply build back up and we would repeat this process again in a few years. Likewise Hamas would never give up its remaining hostages, it's about the only card it has left not including keffiyeh clad college idiots.
The MSM was pushing the disinformation that Israel came up with this cease fire idea. Not true. This is a Biden Administration talking point, with Israel's name forged on it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...al/ar-BB1ns9as
Quote:
Israel’s prime minister on Saturday called a permanent cease-fire in Gaza a “nonstarter” until long-standing conditions for the ending the war are met, appearing to undermine a proposal that U.S. President Joe Biden had announced as an Israeli one.

The statement from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office came a day after Biden outlined the plan,...
As for the hostages, if it were me, I would continue to take lives and break things until I got a full account, no matter how much it took, but I know the IDF aren't as ruthless as I am (I have seen true evil and know no other way to eradicate it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies