Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 05:37 AM

57,329 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Is it the Jews or what’s happening now under Ben Netanyahu? There’s a difference
Seems the protests are more about the humanitarian disaster created by Israel with our help. We are supplying Israel with bombs and Gaza with food, insane world.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:21 AM

2,824 posts, read 2,290,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Across college campuses, radical leftist are protesting, and scaring American-Jewish students.

Do the squad, & pro-Hamas protesters here see American Jews as enemies?

There seems to be a universal hatred of Jews of all kinds. Anti-semitism against all Jews, not just Israeli's.

Can anyone confirm?
I think there are sometimes false accusations of anti-semitism toward people on the left who are critical of Israeli policies. But there is undeniably antisemitism on the left.

I think there are a couple anti-semitism issues on the far left,
1) there are genuine anti-semites that hate Jews and by proxy hate Israel- I actually tend to think this is more common on the right rather than the left. But, it does exist on the left, such Louis Farrakhan.
2) there are people that hate Israel and that spills into anti-semitism and hating all Jews by proxy- you tend to see that with some more radical elements of Muslm immigrant communities.
3) you have people that oppose Israel as a white colonialist project. This tends to be pretty common on the academic left. They don't necessarily dislike Jews as a group, some are even Jews themselves. But they are pretty willing to make common cause with anti-semites or excuse away genuine left wing anti-semitism as a justifiable reaction of the oppressed. It's sort of like the left wing equivalent of conservatives who aren't necessarily racist, but are happy to court them. These are the kinds of people who protest Jewish orgs that support Israel or dismiss Jews grievances as the complaints of privileged whites.

The third group tends to overlap with those who oppose the concept of Isreal as a Jewish state. I struggle with how to place that group on the anti-semitism spectrum. There is a theoretical case for opposing all ethno-religious states as a matter of principle. But, given the realities of Middle eastern politics and deeply entrenched antisemitism that would condemn millions of Jews to at best to a highly precarious 2nd class status if not outright slaughter. So it may not necessarily be anti-sematic in theory, it would certainly enable it.

So there are a couple different paths that all get you to roughly the same place. Either hating Jews or helping people who seek to harm Jews.

Last edited by jpdivola; 04-19-2024 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-19-2024, 07:42 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think this is particular to the left. There are certainly more and more leftists who are Anti-Semitic, and I'm quick to condemn them. On the flip side, the far-right is known for Anti-Semitism as well. The far-right falls more along the line of "Protocols of the Elders Of Zion" type of Anti-Semitism. Radical far-leftist Anti-Semitism is more related to the dislike of Israel.

Anti-Semitism is coming from both the radical left and the far right.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...59129221111081
Maybe some of the new to the party people on the left just have a beef over Israel but there has been an anti-jewish element on the left for quite a while that has had nothing to do with Israel.

It's the nation of Islam and their leader Louis Farrakhan. They are no longer openly greeted like they once were in some political circles but they're still around on the "down low".

Obviously hate groups are on the far right as well but those aren't denied or excused.

But otherwise, you can find people of all races, religions etc. that are just disgruntled cranks that develop a beef over whatever.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:03 AM

25,784 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Leftists hate anyone who doesn't share their evil, destructive world views.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:10 AM

7,386 posts, read 3,542,914 times
I have some liberal young half Jewish family members who never walked into a Temple, but when it was politically convenient proclaimed themselves as Jewish. Being Jewish made them a marginalized group. Being Jewish and LGBT made them extra special. Now, absolute silence.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:30 AM

18,473 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I have some liberal young half Jewish family members who never walked into a Temple, but when it was politically convenient proclaimed themselves as Jewish. Being Jewish made them a marginalized group. Being Jewish and LGBT made them extra special. Now, absolute silence.
When has it been “politically convenient” for them?

In my lifetime, I can’t remember ever getting the “marginalized group” benefit from being Jewish.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:52 AM

31,083 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
When has it been “politically convenient” for them?

In my lifetime, I can’t remember ever getting the “marginalized group” benefit from being Jewish.
It's just minority group status, no real benefit. My son does this as a goof sometimes. The "no benefit" may only apply to white, maybe middle Eastern Jewish people. I'm sure black Jewish people still get black marginalized group status?

Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,143,595 times
Radical leftists hate almost everything, including themselves. Possible exceptions include derangement, authoritarianism, and chaos in the service of the aforementioned.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:31 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Thing is, it's mostly your very wealthy Jewish Americans that own most of the media and donated considerably to democrat causes. So you have to wonder what kind of game they are playing. But these also might be the same type that had no problem at crucifying Jesus at the cross.
Glad you brought this up because it is absolutely fascinating to me how Jews are so deeply tied to a party that hates them and wants them exterminated. Fascinating, maybe someone can shed some light on this that is much closer to the topic?

Old 04-19-2024, 10:48 AM

13,783 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Across college campuses, radical leftist are protesting, and scaring American-Jewish students.

Do the squad, & pro-Hamas protesters here see American Jews as enemies?

There seems to be a universal hatred of Jews of all kinds. Anti-semitism against all Jews, not just Israeli's.

Can anyone confirm?
Last year I asked my brother whose daughter (raised Jewish) attends Harvard law school about the protests against Israel.

He said the protests were confined to one area of the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies