Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:50 AM

21,172 posts, read 19,774,934 times

Advertisements

If the IQ tests are written by liberal Ivy League professors, maybe this is a good thing.

"Six swimmers are competing in the women's 200 yard freestyle, how many testicles does the winner have?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:55 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It's all about what the kids are learning, or not learning in school. I recently saw one of those man on the street interviews where the guy spoke with college aged kids. He asked them what ocean was at the edge of the Eastern side of the USA. One said the Pacific, another said that she wasn't good at geography... there were only a few that knew it was the Atlantic but they all could name the Kerdashians and were excited to do so like they just earned a gold star.

It's shocking what so many simply do not know or even care to learn and the scary part is that these people Vote. I'm sure the Democrat party is happy that the average IQ is dropping because that will mean more easily manipulated Voters for them.
Correct. Income is correlated with education, and the lower one's income, the more likely one is to vote Dem.

Here's a source for that, but also... if anyone wants to confirm independently that this is true, just look at all the federal election exit polls for the last several decades:

Economic Demographics of Democrats

Old Today, 06:57 AM

4,415 posts, read 1,713,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Kids are getting all their information from online sources. The fact they don't get it from books is immaterial.
It’s actually NOT immaterial, especially when most of the online sources are youtube, tik-tok, instagram. There isn’t a whole lot of reasoning or deduction going on with those sources.

Quote:
It's absolutely ludicrous to even suggest that California doesn't have IQ tests in multiple languages and IQ testers fluent in the language of the person being tested. That's what we do.
Again, the results of these studies are not based on IQ tests, but on 4th grade and 8th grade state testing, which is done in English. As for IQ tests in different languages, we definitely have then in Spanish. We also have them in a few other languages, but dont always have someone who can actually administer them in that language. I once had to administer an IQ test to someone who's first language was Russian. Even if I could find an IQ test in Russian (I couldn’t), I still wouldn’t have been able to administer it, since I dont speak Russian, and am not familiar with Russian culture.

Legally, In California, I can’t even give an IQ test to an African American.

Old Today, 07:06 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,909,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
IQ is falling, along with the standard of living. At the same time, things are becoming more challenging as the price of everything keeps rising and wages stagnate. And somehow, through it all, Americans still find a way to get even fatter with each passing year. Nothing about any of this paints a very bright picture of the future for America. I just hope the rest of the world doesn't adopt all of our bad traits and habits... Fat, dumb, poor and angry is no way to go through life.
When it comes to basic critical thinking skills, it seems like a majority of US dwellers have been electronically lobotomized. The nearly ubiquitous use of electronic devices, including TV, seems to have contributed to short attention spans and lack of cognitive deliberation. I don’t see a lot of critical thinking going on in the public. I think the MassMedia (FOX News, CNN, MSNBC) is also to blame for the dumbing down of our populace.

Old Today, 07:17 AM

23,589 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Falling IQ demonstrated at Columbia U and NYC!

Likely the higher IQs reside in prisons.

Bet if someone could research IQs in any given university /college compared to a few prisons, It would be interesting. Though many obtuse losers in prison, many used their wits and intelligence until they slipped up. Obtuse losers also enrolled in Columbia as seen on TV.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

9,923 posts, read 4,678,883 times
Probably testing a bunch of students that are not learning the basics of math. & science. Nor are they exposed to things like shop where their minds have to figure out how to build or fix something.

Give cup cake minds cup cakes that's what they will produce.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

27,689 posts, read 16,178,066 times
Calculators were forbidden when I schooled. Now they're a requirement. 3rd world immigration probably has affected the numbers. Any further speculation could lead to cancelation.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

11,592 posts, read 6,072,690 times
Immigration makes sense to me as a cause for America's declining national IQ. It certainly was true about height. The USA used to be one of the tallest nations in the world on average. After decades of immigration primarily from Mexico, we are now 47th for men and 58th for women.

It also makes sense from the point of view of immigration policies.

When we were a young nation, we screened immigrants and they probably were above average IQ in order to navigate the entire process to immigrate to America. Today, all you need is the drive to crash the border. It doesn't take a genius to walk across or pay a coyote.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
This particular study used online IQ tests, which I find questionable, but researchers in other countries using other populations and other testing methods are finding the same results. And they all propose the same causes, which is technology. Full battery IQ tests measure several skill areas, including memory and crystallized knowledge, both of which would be affected by technology. One example would be phone numbers, which is a memory function. When I was a kid, I had a ton of phone numbers memorized. I can still recite my grandma’s phone number, even though she died in 2004. I couldn’t tell you my mothers number though… or the phone number of any of my other family members, because technology remembers them for me, and dials them for me. The same type of thing is happening with crystallized knowledge. Kids arent reading as much as they used to, they arent having to research through encyclopedias like they used to. They arent even watching TV like they used to, and it is all likely affecting IQ scores around the world.

As for CA, your quoted article attempts to explain it…

The state by state study didnt actually used IQ tests, but estimated IQs by using reading and math tests. Non-English speakers would therefore bring those estimated IQs down.
1. high birth rates of the poor (who tend to have lower IQs)

2. lack of reading among children and encouragement to do so parents

3. lack of quiet time for introspection and thinking

4. children not engaging in activities which encourage building problem solving skills

5. families promote athletic activities of children over academics

6. technology has made children "lazy" in not researching things of interest

7. importation of illegal immigrants who are illiterate in their own language and over lower IQ

8. "dumbing down" of elementary and high school educations. When I went to high school in the 70s, I was lower income. However, at my high school, Greek and Latin were offered, calculus and differential equations, chemistry and physics, as well as advanced english comp. My high school was harder than my Big Ten college for the first two years until I reached graduate level courses.

ALL of my kids are voracious readers. All were offered several D1 athletic scholarships, but we emphasized academics over athletics. My wife and I read at least one book a week and and always tried to instill curiosity about the world in our kids as well as critical thinking encouraged by problem solving and math.

At work, I was shocked about how little my nurses encouraged their kids to read. In response, I would buy their kids books which the parents could read to them and rewarded participation with financial incentives.

Unfortunately, our nation is becoming a nation of imbeciles. You can see it in the lack of critical thinking and the embracement of liberalism, which promotes tribalism and dependence on emotion and blind loyalty, rather than critical thinking and logic. It is like a plague of stupidity which has infected the nation.

Additionally: Someone above pointed out "fixing things" to encourage problem solving. I agree 100%. When my kids were young, we would make, from scratch, rudimentary telephones, phonographs, crystal radios, cameras, a refrigerator, ect so they could UNDERSTAND how things worked and apply those skills in analyzing other mechanical devices, rather than just accepting that "they worked".

Old Today, 07:33 AM

10,507 posts, read 4,066,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Yeah, a handful of geniuses is not going to compensate for millions of sub-80 IQ "migrants" pouring into the state.

Technology is the problem? lol Sure, that's it.

Once again, Idiocracy is proven to be a documentary.

The interactive map tells it all.
Doesn't help that the schools aren't pushing the kids to be the best that they can be. If anything, they seem to punish the smart ones to make the dumb ones feel better about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies