Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:36 AM

7,458 posts, read 3,879,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Human intelligence scores are dropping across the US for the first time, research suggests, and experts warn technology could be to blame.

Since 1905, there's been a 30-point increase based on scores in logic, vocabulary, spatial reasoning and visual and mathematical problem-solving skills.

But there are signs that IQ may have dipped, according to a study last year. It found the average IQ score in the US fell from 100 to 98 last year - the first time rates have fallen since we began tracking them.

Now, separate data shows there is a gap of about eight points between states, with New Hampshire ranking first with an average IQ of 103.2.
Dr Dombrowski was surprised that California - home to countless geniuses and entrepreneurs - scored relatively low for IQ.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...states-us.html
Yeah, a handful of geniuses is not going to compensate for millions of sub-80 IQ "migrants" pouring into the state.

Technology is the problem? lol Sure, that's it.

Once again, Idiocracy is proven to be a documentary.

The interactive map tells it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:18 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Yeah Idiocracy was funny but scary as Hell because of its accuracy. A worldwide phenomenon is that the dumbest cultures have the highest birth rate and the most intelligent the lowest.

I will say that I've lived most of my life in 4 states (Louisiana, Texas, Washington, Arizona) and it was obvious that Louisiana IQ average was low, Washington was high, and Arizona and Texas mid pack....I think those IQ measurements are pretty accurate.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; Today at 06:34 AM..

Old Today, 06:24 AM

29,853 posts, read 24,953,870 times
IQ is falling, along with the standard of living. At the same time, things are becoming more challenging as the price of everything keeps rising and wages stagnate. And somehow, through it all, Americans still find a way to get even fatter with each passing year. Nothing about any of this paints a very bright picture of the future for America. I just hope the rest of the world doesn't adopt all of our bad traits and habits... Fat, dumb, poor and angry is no way to go through life.

Old Today, 06:28 AM

4,415 posts, read 1,713,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Yeah, a handful of geniuses is not going to compensate for millions of sub-80 IQ "migrants" pouring into the state.

Technology is the problem? lol Sure, that's it.

Once again, Idiocracy is proven to be a documentary.

The interactive map tells it all.
This particular study used online IQ tests, which I find questionable, but researchers in other countries using other populations and other testing methods are finding the same results. And they all propose the same causes, which is technology. Full battery IQ tests measure several skill areas, including memory and crystallized knowledge, both of which would be affected by technology. One example would be phone numbers, which is a memory function. When I was a kid, I had a ton of phone numbers memorized. I can still recite my grandma’s phone number, even though she died in 2004. I couldn’t tell you my mothers number though… or the phone number of any of my other family members, because technology remembers them for me, and dials them for me. The same type of thing is happening with crystallized knowledge. Kids arent reading as much as they used to, they arent having to research through encyclopedias like they used to. They arent even watching TV like they used to, and it is all likely affecting IQ scores around the world.

As for CA, your quoted article attempts to explain it…

Quote:
He compared it to the early 1900s, when people made incorrect assertions that the English were intellectually superior than Italians - simply because they scored higher on IQ tests.

But it was only because the Italians weren't fluent in English.

'That might be the case in California, which is really diverse [and has lots of non-English speakers],' Dombrowski said, 'but it's really difficult to disentangle.'
The state by state study didnt actually used IQ tests, but estimated IQs by using reading and math tests. Non-English speakers would therefore bring those estimated IQs down.

Last edited by stone26; Today at 06:40 AM..

Old Today, 06:32 AM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times
There is no way this is due to technology. My guess, migrants or the busted educational system. I have learned more by watching you tube videos than I learned in school.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is no way this is due to technology. My guess, migrants or the busted educational system. I have learned more by watching you tube videos than I learned in school.
We are getting migrants from Asia which have a high IQ but far more migrants from other areas that have a low average IQ so the US net is a drop, it's just math.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

9,785 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah Idiocracy was funny but scary as Hell because of its accuracy. A worldwide phenomenon is that the dumbest cultures have the highest birth rate and the most intelligent the lowest.

Yep. I've been saying the same thing for a long time. Which is why I fully support broke people who will be worthless parents getting abortions. America doesn't need another surge in crime. Read all about it in the book 'Freakonomics'.

Old Today, 06:47 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yep. I've been saying the same thing for a long time. Which is why I fully support broke people who will be worthless parents getting abortions. America doesn't need another surge in crime. Read all about it in the book 'Freakonomics'.
Poor women are the LEAST likely to abort. Abortions aren't free (Planned Parenthood charges an average of $600 to prescribe the abortion pill, a surgical abortion is twice or more as much), and poor women don't have an extra couple of hundred dollars to pay for one.

Abortion Rates by Income Level, Unplanned Pregnancies

Poverty Level: 8.6%
100%-200%: 7.8%
200%-300%: 16.2%
300%-400%: 8.0%
Over 400%: 31.9%

Source: Brookings Institution (left-wing think tank). Figure 4 on page 7: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content..._pregnancy.pdf

Old Today, 06:47 AM

7,458 posts, read 3,879,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
This particular study used online IQ tests, which I find questionable, but researchers in other countries using other populations and other testing methods are finding the same results. And they all propose the same causes, which is technology. Full battery IQ tests measure several skill areas, including memory and crystallized knowledge, both of which would be affected by technology. One example would be phone numbers, which is a memory function. When I was a kid, I had a ton of phone numbers memorized. I can still recite my grandma’s phone number, even though she died in 2004. I couldn’t tell you my mothers number though… or the phone number of any of my other family members, because technology remembers them for me, and dials them for me. The same type of thing is happening with crystallized knowledge. Kids arent reading as much as they used to, they arent having to research through encyclopedias like they used to. They arent even watching TV like they used to, and it is all likely affecting IQ scores around the world.
Kids are getting all their information from online sources. The fact they don't get it from books is immaterial.

Quote:
As for CA, your quoted article attempts to explain it…

The state by state study didnt actually used IQ tests, but estimated IQs by using reading and math tests. Non-English speakers would therefore bring those estimated IQs down.
It's absolutely ludicrous to even suggest that California doesn't have IQ tests in multiple languages and IQ testers fluent in the language of the person being tested. That's what we do.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

24,539 posts, read 17,284,948 times
It's all about what the kids are learning, or not learning in school. I recently saw one of those man on the street interviews where the guy spoke with college aged kids. He asked them what ocean was at the edge of the Eastern side of the USA. One said the Pacific, another said that she wasn't good at geography... there were only a few that knew it was the Atlantic but they all could name the Kerdashians and were excited to do so like they just earned a gold star.

It's shocking what so many simply do not know or even care to learn and the scary part is that these people Vote. I'm sure the Democrat party is happy that the average IQ is dropping because that will mean more easily manipulated Voters for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies