Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 AM

603 posts, read 1,997,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't mean any offense by this, but I don't think you can understand the benefits until you've experienced being a minority... you may not see any "tangible" evidence (like money & jobs), but white people are treated better for the most part. When was the last time somebody clutched their purse, just because you walked past them? Or how about the comment one of my black friends has gotten - "he's so smart and articulate, considering... well, you know."
Well, actually I have some experience being a minority back in my hometown in eastern WA. It is heavily hispanic, and lots of illegal immigrants. I was in a Mexican restaurant downtown and we (me and my 2 white friends) were being served by the waitress (who was Mexican) and as soon as a group of hispanic men came in the door, she never returned to our table, but laughed and chatted with these men and served them, but somehow forgot we were there. I can go on with several instances like this. There is discrimination against whites, it does exist. We are not treated much better for the most part, it's about perception. Minorities in this country are taught that white people don't like them, this makes them suspicious and see racism in everything. White people are taught that we are racist, even if we don't know it! Seems ridiculous to me. Everyone is equal, it's the few idiots out there that ruin it for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
gizmo, what city in California do you reside in?!
I'm in the town of East Palo Alto, which is about 15 miles north of San Jose... it unfortunately has a horrible reputation, since it was named "Murder Capital of the US" for a few years running. It's improved a bit since then, but still isn't a very safe place to live. As for the demographics, it's currently about 58% Hispanic, 23% Black, and 8% Pacific Islander (Tongan & Samoan, primarily). Here's our city-data page:
http://www.city-data.com/city/East-P...alifornia.html

Old 01-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Well, actually I have some experience being a minority back in my hometown in eastern WA. It is heavily hispanic, and lots of illegal immigrants. I was in a Mexican restaurant downtown and we (me and my 2 white friends) were being served by the waitress (who was Mexican) and as soon as a group of hispanic men came in the door, she never returned to our table, but laughed and chatted with these men and served them, but somehow forgot we were there. I can go on with several instances like this. There is discrimination against whites, it does exist. We are not treated much better for the most part, it's about perception. Minorities in this country are taught that white people don't like them, this makes them suspicious and see racism in everything. White people are taught that we are racist, even if we don't know it! Seems ridiculous to me. Everyone is equal, it's the few idiots out there that ruin it for everyone.
I can't argue with that last statement. I understand that white people can be discriminated against, it's just pretty rare in most towns... and if you go into a town that's heavily dominated by one race, there are bound to be issues of prejudice. But go into any normally "mixed" area, and the white people won't the ones to get dirty looks & mistreatment. Am I making sense? (my mind's a bit loopy, since I didn't sleep last night! )

I also believe that how people are treated has something to do their with attitude... as I said, I've never been discriminated against in my town, despite being one of a tiny percentage. I've never been called "gringo" or anything derogatory, and haven't noticed being treated any differently. Well, I do get treated a bit different, but not in a negative way... like when this guy called me a "white girl who knows how to shake her bootie". That just made me laugh, LOL!

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-11-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,472,163 times
Wow, Gizmo, You really can speak based on experience.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Wow, Gizmo, You really can speak based on experience.
Yeah, I guess so... and I've lived in & traveled to lots of other places, with all different types of people. I like it that way, since ignorance & lack of exposure are often what leads to problems.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,589 times
The million man march maybe as they say civil rights but,Bill O'Rielly had one of their guys on with a video and played it and they were calling for the deaths of all whites and Jews. They are a group in sheeps clothing don't kid yourself. They are just as bad as the Aryan Nation if not worse because, they are being left alone by hiding behind civil rights movement.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,589 times
I forgot the guy I wish I could remember his name was denying that he said it. It was on video. But, maybe a white guy made up the video with him in it.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 PM

603 posts, read 1,997,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I also believe that how people are treated has something to do their with attitude... as I said, I've never been discriminated against in my town, despite being one of a tiny percentage. I've never been called "gringo" or anything derogatory, and haven't noticed being treated any differently. Well, I do get treated a bit different, but not in a negative way... like when this guy called me a "white girl who knows how to shake her bootie". That just made me laugh, LOL!
I also agree that it is your attitude and perception that tend to shape how you view you are treated. Not to disregard what you said about not being discriminated against, but it seems that for some reason white women are much more accepted in minority communities than white men. I don't know why. I've found this to be very true when I'm hanging out with a girl friend of mine who is black (where I get very dirty looks from black men and women). I have known a lot of white girls that have similar experiences as you and date black men exclusively. When I tell them the dirty looks and comments (making fun of me for being white) I get when I try to be around them and a group of black men they don't believe me or say it was just joking. There are a lot of white guys that have had this happen. While this is a little off topic, I think it again shows that we're willing accept this as okay if other races do it to whites and not the other way around. IMO it should be unacceptable in any case.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
I also agree that it is your attitude and perception that tend to shape how you view you are treated. Not to disregard what you said about not being discriminated against, but it seems that for some reason white women are much more accepted in minority communities than white men. I don't know why. I've found this to be very true when I'm hanging out with a girl friend of mine who is black (where I get very dirty looks from black men and women). I have known a lot of white girls that have similar experiences as you and date black men exclusively. When I tell them the dirty looks and comments (making fun of me for being white) I get when I try to be around them and a group of black men they don't believe me or say it was just joking. There are a lot of white guys that have had this happen. While this is a little off topic, I think it again shows that we're willing accept this as okay if other races do it to whites and not the other way around. IMO it should be unacceptable in any case.
You're right, in that women do get treated better overall - at least by men. But we can get pretty catty toward each other, regardless of race! And as a white woman who's dated a few black men, I know there are some women who resent us for that... I've never personally been told this, but have heard it from others. Though even when I lived in Stockton (a very diverse town) and had a black boyfriend, we never received dirty looks or comments. I'm guessing it's because WE didn't care, or send out that "chip on our shoulder" attitude. And for almost 3 years, I dated a man who was 1/2 Mexican & 1/2 Native American (Tlingit)... not once did we get any negative reactions, at least none that were enough to notice. I'm sure it also has something to do with where you live, since we'd probably have issues in other parts of the country. Also, I think men in general are more hostile to each other, because it's just in your nature... no offense, but it's all that testosterone! I mean, how often do women get into fist-fights because someone was "giving them a fightin' look?" LOL

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM

79 posts, read 212,104 times
I think a few of you maybe distorting some of the facts. The Black Panthers were not responsible for the Million Man March. The Nation of Islam, Chicano Pride, or any of these ethnic organizations very rarely commit hate crimes against whites as compared to Skinheads and the KKK.
Never have you heard of any of those ethnic organizations throwing molotovs into David Dukes house, dragging a person out their house late at night and string em up because they are white.
All the members of the original Black Panthers are dead or in jail. There is a copycat or made for tv version of the Black Panther's today and yes I have seen them on Fox News making some very ignorant statements.
But no one ever said kill all white people at the Million Man March that is totally false. The March was about African Americans taking accountability for their own actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies