Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
ALL BLACK CHURCHES in the inner cities, as well as MOST suburban black churches with all black congragations preach what is commonly refered to as "The Black Experience" which includes everything from politics, racism, economic conditions and other issues which affect Black Americans. To describe such preaching as "Black Liberation" is totally incorrect, and in my opinion an insult to the Black Church and those blacks who preach and tell the truth and realities of everyday life for Blacks in America, particularly those in the inner cities.
Dude, I'm saying what I've been TOLD, and asking if it's true. I have made deliberate efforts to avoid insulting anyone, here.

I do have to wonder about "ALL BLACK CHURCHES", because that sounds a little bit monolithic and seems like hyperbole. Seriously--ALL black churches? Every one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Dude, I'm saying what I've been TOLD, and asking if it's true. I have made deliberate efforts to avoid insulting anyone, here.

I do have to wonder about "ALL BLACK CHURCHES", because that sounds a little bit monolithic and seems like hyperbole. Seriously--ALL black churches? Every one?
Please do not mis-quote me and read the remainder of the sentence...

And yes, EVERY SINGLE ONE that I have attended.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Okay, because I see a difference between "all black churches" and "every single one that I have attended". I'm not trying to split hairs, but there's a difference. No misquoting intended.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Years ago I attended an all black church because I was invited by a lady where I worked at. I ended up joining that church and even was baptized there. They never treated me differently than anyone else and, as a matter of fact, they made me feel that I was truly loved. Never once did I ever hear the preacher teach a message of hate or say anything negative against white people. He taught what was in the Bible and about Jesus and love. I am sure that he did not remember that I was out there all the time and still he never said anything negative about anything or anyone. It was one of the best churches I ever attended.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That does sound kind of offensive. He's referring to some of the people in church as "us" and some as "them".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Are you assuming that the "them" is white people? I'm curious why you would jump to that conclusion.
I would interpret that statement as "us" being the members of the congregation and community, and "them" would refer to the cops or the schools system or the government in general. For example, "we" (community) can't depend on "them" (city school system) to make sure that our kids can read and will be able to graduate from high school, we need to make sure that we take that responsibility ourselves.
Whenever I have heard a statement like that, it's usually in that context.
That's exactly how he meant it. He was saying that "we" need to start holding ourselves accountable for our actions and get control of our households and stop depending on "them" (being the police) to raise our children. I don't see how that's racist or offensive but hey, everybody hears things differently.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Everyone is missing the point. The fact that black america has to congregate in their "own" church away from white people just goes to show how little progress has been made in Black America. Their are very few "white" churches and the ones that do exist do so because they are in areas with very little black people. You can find all-black churches in areas of high diversity with lots of other races. Racism in this country will never go away because black america doesn't want it to. It's the sad truth.
My church has members of all races. We're predominantly black because of our denomination just like other denominations are primarily white. Is it racist that there a churches in my area where the whole congregation is Hispanic? Or Asian? Aren’t they all American? Or is that acceptable because they speak a different language?
I’ve been to some non-denominational churches and those seem to be the ones that are the most diverse.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Growing up, I went to a Lutheran church (this was the 70s-80s). It was all white with very few young people and an aging congregation (i.e., little old ladies with blue hair). I hated services, the pastor was boring and the sermons didn't hold my interest (I was a teen). The songs were the old standards accompanied by the organist. If the pastor wasn't talking, you could hear a pin drop. A couple of times a year, our sister church in Washington, D.C. would have their choir attend our service and sing. What a difference in atmosphere! You would hear Amens! and Allalujahs! and the pastor would even be more animated and sound more interesting because he had feedback and approval from the visiting choir. The songs were upbeat and lively. You could also be entertained just by watching the blue haired old ladies' reactions to the visitors.

One of the funny things about all this, when I look back at it, is that I grew up in one of the most diverse areas back then (probably 50/50 white/black). I really never thought about the fact that our church was all white but I see now that it was a dying congregation and possibly because of the lack of diversity within the church. Now, when I drive by that church, I see signs for services in spanish and korean and I highly doubt any of the congregation I knew is still around.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
I have attended a Baptist church all my life and I can not say that our pastor teaches or preaches hat eof white people or black liberation theology or whatever, but as others have stated we do hear about what affects us and our community specifically, such as single parent homes, violence, education, and children obeying parents. We know that we as blacks can and have to do better for ourselves and by going to church and hearing the word from someone people look up to in the community can help many face their realities. If some one is dealing with financial problems, they know that in church they can hear that turning it over to God can take some of the worry off of our shoulders.

If people would listen to black gospel, they speak on issues facing the black community and people as a whole.

I think it goes back to slavery and how they clutched to religion to help them seek a higher being that could help them out of their situation.

Its not about hating white people. Its about ourselves and how we can help our brothers and sisters get to a place where we can all live the American Dream.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Years ago I attended an all black church because I was invited by a lady where I worked at. I ended up joining that church and even was baptized there. They never treated me differently than anyone else and, as a matter of fact, they made me feel that I was truly loved. Never once did I ever hear the preacher teach a message of hate or say anything negative against white people. He taught what was in the Bible and about Jesus and love. I am sure that he did not remember that I was out there all the time and still he never said anything negative about anything or anyone. It was one of the best churches I ever attended.
That is awesome, in the best sense of the word.

I do agree that churches can and must address the actual needs of their membership and communities, with the gospel. Christ made sure to meet people's physical AND spiritual needs and continues to do so today.

Our congregation is not perfect (none is) but we have begun a financial-counseling ministry, not for any specific race but for anyone who needs help learning how to manage money, how to find jobs, and how to avoid bankruptcy. I imagine that because our town has a majority black population, we may have more black people using this ministry, and that's fine; how appropriate--or helpful--would it be if only whites signed up?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Are you assuming that the "them" is white people? I'm curious why you would jump to that conclusion.
I would interpret that statement as "us" being the members of the congregation and community, and "them" would refer to the cops or the schools system or the government in general. For example, "we" (community) can't depend on "them" (city school system) to make sure that our kids can read and will be able to graduate from high school, we need to make sure that we take that responsibility ourselves.
Whenever I have heard a statement like that, it's usually in that context.
He didn't say "us". I said "us". He said "Black people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies