Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Nothing is more annoying than driving down the interstate and having people pass me in their Hummers going 85 mph. By slowing our freeways down to 55 or 60 mph - and enforcing it, we could save more barrels of oil per day than we would get from drilling ANWR. Its a small sacrifice that could really help in the long run. I know powerful engines and fast driving is part of American culture and people don't want to give that up, but sometimes we need to come together as a country and sacrifice for the common good. To enforce this new speed limit, the government should hire thousands of policemen, providing both jobs and revenue. This is an idea that could really work but nobody wants to suggest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Nothing is more annoying than driving down the interstate and having people pass me in their Hummers going 85 mph. By slowing our freeways down to 55 or 60 mph - and enforcing it, we could save more barrels of oil per day than we would get from drilling ANWR. Its a small sacrifice that could really help in the long run. I know powerful engines and fast driving is part of American culture and people don't want to give that up, but sometimes we need to come together as a country and sacrifice for the common good. To enforce this new speed limit, the government should hire thousands of policemen, providing both jobs and revenue. This is an idea that could really work but nobody wants to suggest it.
*****Please don't take my response personally but what you are saying is a violation of everyone RIGHTS ,Violate the constitution, PLEASE get EDUCATED on what your rights are before you give them away because i have no problem fighting for them. Take the time to reaserch these sites ,North American Super Highway, North American Security Agreement. There you will see what our government is planning to do to us because people just want the easy way out . And last if you feel soooo... un /safe traveling the highway then DON"T DO IT , stay home or walk to where you need to go. ( I don't think you will like that ), as i don't like your asking the government to take more control of my life . they have toooo.... much now! How will you feel having a Canadan Police man arrest you , Yes from "Canada" an arrest an American citizen ? or for that matter a Mexican Police man from "Mexico"? well if you keep asking that day will come !!!! and as you volentered you will pay for it from both ends.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
While I agree with you that folks need to slow down, I don't think any new law will truly bring it about. On my local two lane back country roads, people speed all the time, passing me as I go the actual speed limit. And yes, the interstates are a nightmare, especially when you're competing for the road with big rigs. We would need more police than we have to just catch speeders. Nice thought, though.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I don't see this happening & I'd rather have more cops around actually fighting real crime than trapping speeders & handing out tickets.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't see this happening & I'd rather have more cops around actually fighting real crime than trapping speeders & handing out tickets.
I agree but think of the revenue the town loses. I think every road should add 10 mph to the limit and then anyone doing over the limit gets a ticket if caught. So the 25mph zones are now 35mph zones and if you get caught doing 36mph you automatically get a ticket.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I have noticed a lot more cops looking for speeders on our local roads, it can add up to a lot of extra income for financially strapped towns....and which town isn't these days?

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 AM

101 posts, read 329,838 times
I don't think people will slow down. I don't think many people will agree to a speed limit, especially here in California or places where it takes awhile to get from point A to point B. In the past, truck drivers were against the speed limits and from what I recall, they drove much faster. This is about the late 60s early 70s. Some people just feel the need to go fast at long distances.

I still agree that some people need to really slow down, and in addition, stop weaving through at least semi-busy traffic. Can't people realize that it won't save THAT much time? Stay in one lane, people @#$

Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbeatishot View Post
I don't think people will slow down. I don't think many people will agree to a speed limit, especially here in California or places where it takes awhile to get from point A to point B. In the past, truck drivers were against the speed limits and from what I recall, they drove much faster. This is about the late 60s early 70s. Some people just feel the need to go fast at long distances.

I still agree that some people need to really slow down, and in addition, stop weaving through at least semi-busy traffic. Can't people realize that it won't save THAT much time? Stay in one lane, people @#$
The braking that goes with aggressive driving guzzles TONS of gas. This isn't that much of a sacrifice. It says a lot about our culture that we are unwilling to make it.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I typically drive about about 10mph over on highways. Guess what? If someone wants to pass me so what I let them. What annoys me is the left foot on the brake drivers going 5 mph under the speed limit in the hammer lane. Get out of the way or get off the road if you can't handle the speed or the traffic. Whimpering or crying because some folks are speeding and your not is childish.
For your info on mpg my Toyota Solara actually gets better miles at 65 to 70 than it does at 55.yes I clocked it both ways.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Yes, we need a national speed limit to make all roads 55mph. This includes in front of your house too........

Now, if we're talking about interstate... NO. It's already 55 (around here) and the traffic stinks. People don't want to even drive that. They'd rather be going 45 as is.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 06-30-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies