Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the confederate flag?
I'm from the North and it is a symbol of hate and racism 54 21.77%
I'm from the North and it is a symbol of southern pride and heritage 57 22.98%
I'm from the South and it is a symbol of hate and racism 30 12.10%
I'm from the South and it is a symbol of our pride and heritage 53 21.37%
I'm from neither the North or the South and it is a symbol of hate and racism 26 10.48%
I'm from neither the North or the South and it is a symbol of southern pride and heritage 28 11.29%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
You know what I think. I think if somebody wants to display the confederate flag on their property and they are not shoving it into a black person's face, they should have every right to do it.

They do have the right. That's one of the odd things about American history, that the symbols of a rebellion dedicated to slavery are protected by the ideals of those who suppressed the rebellion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
They do have the right. That's one of the odd things about American history, that the symbols of a rebellion dedicated to slavery are protected by the ideals of those who suppressed the rebellion.
C'mon, IT...how many times does this "rebellion" and "treason" thing you keep bringing up have to be refuted by the very words of those who might even have wanted to make the charge stick?

Chief Justice Salmon Chase to Edwin Stanton:

"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution, secession is not rebellion...His (Jefferson Davis') capture was a mistake. His trial will be a greater one. We cannot convict him of treason. Secession is settled, let it stay settled."

With that said though, I gotta grudingly and respectfully admit you do a good job of making your case, even if (IMHO) it spins history and words.

But there is nothing odd about it. For instance, (in addition to the totally refuted "treason" charge) the seeming implication that the ideals of those who fought for the Confederacy are at odds with First Amendment rights. Southern men largely wrote the Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights. And when the Southern states formed their own nation, all of this was strongly expressed in its own Constitution.

I could just as easily toss out something like, and it would have the inexact same relevance, as: The First Amendment still exists because a disproportionate number of Southern men/women have always protected it; including the right some to feel superior and disdain us and the way we feel about our history and heritage.

Almost finished, but I always thought this resolution said a lot. In support of the Confederate Battle Flag by the decendants of those who fought against it...

SUVCW Battle Flag Resolution

Finally, here is a link which covers just about all that can be said on this topic. I had some extremely heated arguments on it, but also came to respect, very much, some on the opposite side of this question.

The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I personally could care less. If we aren't talking about a hate group using it as a racist symbol and/or threatening people with it, than whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Interesting juxtaposition of symbolisms:

NuSouth Clothiers

Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
C'mon, IT...how many times does this "rebellion" and "treason" thing you keep bringing up have to be refuted by the very words of those who might even have wanted to make the charge stick?
I wrote a big thing and posted but decided to delete, we've had this fight enough over the meaning of treason and rebellion enough.

I'm sure you're aware that in the south prior to the Civil War many people had their First Ammendment rights trampled on by local government when they spoke against slavery.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-11-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
My gut reaction is that it represents racism and hate, but I do know that there are proud southerners who display their confederate flags due to their pride in their heritage and their birthplace and that it has nothing to due, in their minds, with racism.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
My gut reaction is that it represents racism and hate, but I do know that there are proud southerners who display their confederate flags due to their pride in their heritage and their birthplace and that it has nothing to due, in their minds, with racism.

True enough and to some people it's simply a symbol of a rebellious nature and attitude, kind of a way of giving the finger to bourgeois society.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware that in the south prior to the Civil War many people had their First Ammendment rights trampled on by local government when they spoke against slavery.
Sorry, but that is NOT a good example to make your case!

For one thing, public opinion which might silence minority opinion in a given locale is NOT a violation of First Amendment rights in the same way as official decree or martial law. I could turn your case back into saying that Southern sympathizers in certain lower parts of the Midwest had their "rights" trampled on" when they were run out of town or whatever...

Point being that failure and/or fear to speak up because one might get beat up or shunned is NOT the same as having such speech subject to official arrest. And that is exactly what happened under the Lincoln administration.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-11-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
True enough and to some people it's simply a symbol of a rebellious nature and attitude

Kinda like the American colonists at the Boston Tea Party? Or Patrick Henry when he said "If this be treason, make the most of it"?

General Robert E. Lee once said: "All that the South has ever desired was that the Union--as established by our forefathers--should be preserved, and that the government--as originally organized--should be administered in purity and truth."

I don't bring that up in a sense of "one-up"...but rather to give a side to it that so many non-Southerners never hear. Just as they don't the ugly history of slavery in the North.

I honestly DO think I speak for many Southerners in saying all we really want is tolerance to work both ways.... .

Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry, but that is NOT a good example to make your case!

For one thing, public opinion which might silence minority opinion in a given locale is NOT a violation of First Amendment rights in the same way as official decree or martial law. I could turn your case back into saying that Southern sympathizers in certain lower parts of the Midwest had their "rights" trampled on" when they were run out of town or whatever...

I said local government not public opinion. Note that many southern postmasters refused to send abolitionist newspapers through the mails too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies