Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I happened upon a link to Wikipedia's page on Right Wing Authoritarianism:

Right-wing authoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is quite an interesting read, and sheds a lot of light on what is going on in our country and the mental processes of a lot of so-called "conservatives." This mental condition is based on three characteristics: Authoritarian submission (submission to established authorities), authoritarian aggression (general aggressiveness toward "deviants"), and conventionalism (a high degree of adherence to social norms).

Among other factors, RWAs can be identified as people who are ethnocentric, highly nationalistic, say they value freedom but actually work toward undermining the Bill of Rights, support capital punishment, oppose abortion, do not value equality very highly and oppose measures to increase it, and are not likely to rise in the Democratic party, but do so among Republicans.
As a minarchist/voluntarist/libertarian I have no love for authoritarianism of any stripe. I do not want to live under the boot heel of government oppression and I care not whether the boot is the left or right one. However I take a great deal of issue with "do not value equality highly and oppose measures to increase it." That's just a sorry excuse to label anyone who doesn't support endless government spending, womb to the tomb entitlements, and the nanny state a "Nazi." I care only for equality of opportunity but equality of results, which is what you're talking about, is an impossibility and obsession with equality of results leads to left wing authoritarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
As a minarchist/voluntarist/libertarian I have no love for authoritarianism of any stripe. I do not want to live under the boot heel of government oppression and I care not whether the boot is the left or right one. However I take a great deal of issue with "do not value equality highly and oppose measures to increase it." That's just a sorry excuse to label anyone who doesn't support endless government spending, womb to the tomb entitlements, and the nanny state a "Nazi." I care only for equality of opportunity but equality of results, which is what you're talking about, is an impossibility and obsession with equality of results leads to left wing authoritarianism.
Agreed re: "equality of results". But seems to me there still needs to be some moderating factors, otherwise aren't you basically just describing yourself as a "social Darwinist" (aka, "survival of the fittest and devil take the hindmost")? And BTW, if so, isn't that really just saying that the strongest always deserve to be in control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies