Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I disagree. I know some country folks who can't stand driving in the city because they say they don't have the patience. And in the city one must have a lot of patience for traffic jams, etc. I see more people in the city who will let a car in from a side entrance during a traffic jam than I do country. This is just my expeerience however. Maybe others have a different one. What I'm saying is that you have to have a tougher driving "constitution" in the city. If not, it will eat you up.
I know,it's a shame what the city will do to people huh?

When country people say they don't have the patience,they mean they don't have the patience to deal with the city driving,not that they don't have patience in general. Heck I know when I drive in the city I know I want to get the heck out as soon as possible!

As far as the city people 'letting cars in',they don't have a choice...there's usually gridlock anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I know,it's a shame what the city will do to people huh?

When country people say they don't have the patience,they mean they don't have the patience to deal with the city driving,not that they don't have patience in general. Heck I know when I drive in the city I know I want to get the heck out as soon as possible!

As far as the city people 'letting cars in',they don't have a choice...there's usually gridlock anyway
we all have patience for some things and not others. I do. Most people do. I live in the south where at least around here people always seem to be in a hurry when driving. This applies to the rural areas as well as cities. Sometimes I think it is show off, but there are people who will run you over on the country 2 lanes. I also know where they are from as I look at what dealler they bought there car from. It is easy to tell around here. Come on now, I don't see a great deal of patience out in the rural areas. So many are anxious to get to "town", either they work there or shop there.

City drivers are resigned to expecting crazy driving and traffic jams, not all are patient, but you at least have to be mentally prepared. If you aren't you aint gonna make it. Gotta suck it all in, ya see? I have driven about 800,000 miles in the last 9 years, roughly 300 miles a day in city and country. If I didn't have some kind of patience, I never would have made it this long. But I see both kind of mindsets out there. My point is Stuck, I don' t think country drivers are necessarily more patient. And city drivers are not all impatient.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I think this depends upon the city. I've lived in a number of metro areas where I rarely ran into arrogant people. But then in some others? Whoa! Incredibly arrogant people that walk around like they are royalty and "think" they are better than everyone else around them.

But I have to agree with the OP that there are more arrogant types in metro areas than in rural areas or rural suburban communities.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I think this depends upon the city. I've lived in a number of metro areas where I rarely ran into arrogant people. But then in some others? Whoa! Incredibly arrogant people that walk around like they are royalty and "think" they are better than everyone else around them.

But I have to agree with the OP that there are more arrogant types in metro areas than in rural areas or rural suburban communities.
Yeah I see these types who think they are better than the rest and are so entitled. It's sad because they all come off as a JOKE imo. And probably to everyone else who has a normal sense of decency and humility. That is their problem obviously, they can't see themselves. I don't jknow if its a mental problem or upbring, probably a little of both or maybe just one or the other. I don't pay attention to these types. I don't mind telling them to their face "I've gotten nothing for you" . I appreciate the common ordinary humble folks of the world no matter where they come from.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

You're right, it really does depend on the city. I can assure that city people are, as a whole, no better or worse when it comes to arrogance, impatience, and "attitude" than country folks.

Some of the most brazenly arrogant people who have ever walked the earth live here in my Kentucky community of 10,000. On the other hand, I've met gregarious, good-spirited folks in Chicago's Loop, Downtown Atlanta, and from Houston and Long Island. And...vice versa. Nice folks and jerks exist everywhere.

I also work in retail. Kentucky is considered by most to be "Southern" (I consider it Southern lite.) Anyway, we have plenty of visitors and transplants come in regularly from anywhere from Boston to Dallas, Denver to Atlanta, Detroit to Birmingham, and everywhere in between. The ratio of nice-to-jerk is about equal b/t "yank" and "rebel" customers. Interestingly, though, I have had nothing but great experiences with Detroiters. There have been some people from Alabama and South Carolina that I just wanted to strangle. Coloradoans, on the other hand, are reserved but not unfriendly. Oh, we plenty of our own that are unkind, impatient, and callous.

Are there more arrogant types in metro areas? Yes, b/c there is more general population.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-04-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I live in the south where at least around here people always seem to be in a hurry when driving. This applies to the rural areas as well as cities. Sometimes I think it is show off, but there are people who will run you over on the country 2 lanes.
You don't happen to live in NC or some northern-settled southern area do you? There will generally be a faster pace in those areas.
There was a thread once on here about the slowest drivers,but there's exceptions to the rules in most areas probably.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
I've lived fairly extensively in both city and country. I can say, without a doubt, that this thread is a total generalization and without merit.

First: "rural" and "urban" aren't just rural and urban. In addition to individuals being different all over, there are cultural differences between cities. NYC and Chicago aren't the same. Neither are Atlanta and SF. LA and Dallas. These are all hugely different places with different behaviors and expectations.

The same goes for rural areas. I see massive differences between, say, the lowcountry of SC and the Appalachian mountains. They both have mighty rural spots (and I've lived in rural spots in both areas), but the culture is VERY different. Behavior is very different.

Furthermore, what constitutes "friendly" vs "unfriendly"? People I've met in rural Minnesota, for example, are VERY nice, but also very reserved. They won't scream hello and roll out the red carpet, but will help you out when you're in a jam and never expect any reward more than a simple thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM

^well said. One thing I failed to mention, is that many of these folks in rural areas (if not most) work in towns and cities. They aren't ex city people for the most part, but make a living however in urban areas. So many are in a hurry.

Both kinds live in both areas. I don't notice arrogance in the cities becasue maybe I am used to it an d turn it off. I do get mad at some of the things I see out on the road, but wth, I ain't gonna let it ruin my day.

BTW there are many many drivers who shouldn't even be driving. They just don't have the proper skills and I'm getting off topic so I'll shut up.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
You don't happen to live in NC or some northern-settled southern area do you? There will generally be a faster pace in those areas.
There was a thread once on here about the slowest drivers,but there's exceptions to the rules in most areas probably.
I live in metro Shreveport Bossier city, Louisiana. Most of where I drive is in northern La, southern Arkansas. Not a great deal of newcomers here in this area. Southern Arkansas has better drivers, but they tend to drive below the speed limit. La on the other hand drives 60-65 on 2 lanes and 70-80 or more on interstates. Texxas and Missisissippi drivers are some of the biggest speeders I've ever seen.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM

85 posts, read 199,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And where was this? And I'd suggest dropping the "hicks" word.
upstate NY, East Schodack to be exact

honestly though what about the intolerant, racist, homophobic, unambitious, uneducated , rural people who knock up a girl ASAP out of high school and then move into a trailer or crappy falling apart farm house next to their mom's and then decorate the yard with cars on blocks and piles of scrap metal, what would be the proper term for them?

or how about all the deadbeat rural people who rent places from my GF's family and then welsh on the rent, cut down trees which are not theirs to use for fire wood, drill holes in the walls for their wood stove they didn't get permission to install. Or stack furniture outside in the elements, like its going to usable come spring ?

Yeah, rural people are so independent, and superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies