Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
That's interesting. What a lot of people fail to realize is that AMERICA is not what you see when you wander the streets of New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or even Houston. AMERICA is what you see when you wander the parking lot at Talladega. That's why Obama loses this year. The parking lot at Talladega is voting against him, even if they have never voted before.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's interesting. What a lot of people fail to realize is that AMERICA is not what you see when you wander the streets of New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or even Houston. AMERICA is what you see when you wander the parking lot at Talladega. That's why Obama loses this year. The parking lot at Talladega is voting against him, even if they have never voted before.
Are you f'ing serious?

How is New York City not American?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Are you f'ing serious?

I am f'ing serious. If you read my post again you will see that I never said New York is not American. What I said equates to "You see New York, Chicago, LA, etc. when you wander the streets of the same. You see AMERICA when you wander the parking lot at a NASCAR race." Subtlety is a virtue.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
There may be some truth to your point about some members of the "elite" being out of touch with middle-America, but I think some members of the working class would not have appreciated you blasting the music either.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I grew up in "real America" with the country music and lifted trucks. It makes me more thankful that there's a "fake America" out there in New England! It's not real America's fault that they're out of touch with the rest of the world, bless their hearts!

It's not that it's cool or elitist to hate country music or NASCAR- they're just both BAD forms of entertainment to me. Most country music and NASCAR fans would turn up their noses at my underground hip hop music and rugby and soccer games.

Is rudeness now a virtue in "real America"? Because turning up ANY music and flipping off ANYONE is what we in fake America call rude and childish.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
If country music is white and rap is black, I will choose country anyday. Except the rockabilly. Too noisy.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Are you f'ing serious?

I think what he means is that NYC isn't typical of most places in America, and many the attitudes and political views of NYers aren't typical of the attitudes of many Americans. BTW...I'm a native NYer, and I know NY very, very well, although I no longer live there.

As to the OP's original question...yes...I think many people in my old stomping grounds of NY and New England think that people in the south in general are ignorant slobs (as evidenced by their like of country music and NASCAR) and they do feel superior. What they don't realize is that the south is not the same place as they picture from films like "Mississippi Burning" or "Deliverance." Many of the liberals who feel this way have never even been to the south or other so-called red states.

EDIT to fix typo

Last edited by neil0311; 08-07-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I am f'ing serious. If you read my post again you will see that I never said New York is not American. What I said equates to "You see New York, Chicago, LA, etc. when you wander the streets of the same. You see AMERICA when you wander the parking lot at a NASCAR race." Subtlety is a virtue.
Well explain to me how the melting pot of New York City is unamerican? And NASCAR is.

Have you ever even visited NYC?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Well explain to me how the melting pot of New York City is unamerican? And NASCAR is.

Have you ever even visited NYC?
I lived in Battery Park for two years after college. Read over my post again and point out where I said "NYC is un-American".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies