Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what being a liberal elitist has anything to do w/whether they like country music & nascar or not. Baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I try everything, and actually don't like the vast majority of those things called "american." I would rather have Lebanese food that bbq. I don't watch the NFL. hmmmm. I don't watch network television or keep up with pop culture.
Looks like you're a liberal elitist then! Better eat some fried pork rinds wrapped in hotdog casing, then battered and covered in syrup, or the terrorists win!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Never cared for watching cars drive around in endless loops. the girls were by and large not too good looking in the crowd either.

Country music has started to grow on me a little, on the other hand. In small doses. I like the songs about family. Call me a little sissy, I don' mind.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I like middle eastern food best, and hockey. depending on your definition of punk rock. punk rock died years ago.
The terrorists are winning, one falafel ball at a time!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM

711 posts, read 933,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
I find this thread to be kind of an aberration. For one, America is a homogenous society with more people of all cultures living in the sunbelt states. There are also a flood of foreigners--to what preferences or kind of culture does one place them in your particular categories.

I remind you that before civil rights legislation and other items that irritated the southerners the south was predominately democratic, blue as can be. Auto racing and country music was popular in the blue south as well.

Being rude to irritate others because of what you perceive their preferences to be may be erroneous, and may pass or have unexpected results. First, many areas have 'noise ordinances' which may be enforced and in areas where many residents are armed I'd be careful of finger useage.

As far as Obama-- whether he is mainstream America or not depends entirely of what the individuals idea of exactly what that is--it varies very widely.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:11 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
and with every spoonful of tabouli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The terrorists are winning, one falafel ball at a time!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 PM

no thanks, I prefer food with flavour. what??? flavour?? not flavor??? the terrorists really are winning. I'm spelling foreign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Looks like you're a liberal elitist then! Better eat some fried pork rinds wrapped in hotdog casing, then battered and covered in syrup, or the terrorists win!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM

500 posts, read 910,448 times
Elitist is the new un-american. I like how this guy talks about stereotypes and does it himself. Go tot the midwest and you'll find plenty of people who hate country music, and rap, and metal and every other type of music. Hating music isn't exclusive to the coasts. And people that hate a genre based on it's fans are closed minded simpletons regardless of where they live or what their political affiliation is.

I like alternative country and some traditional country but the **** on mainstream country radio is just horrible. Just like most of the music on mainstream radio

Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM

there is alternative country? do they have names like alice in bull whips and chains, and spur jam? mainstream country is just pop. the radio sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
Elitist is the new un-american. I like how this guy talks about stereotypes and does it himself. Go tot the midwest and you'll find plenty of people who hate country music, and rap, and metal and every other type of music. Hating music isn't exclusive to the coasts. And people that hate a genre based on it's fans are closed minded simpletons regardless of where they live or what their political affiliation is.

I like alternative country and some traditional country but the **** on mainstream country radio is just horrible. Just like most of the music on mainstream radio

Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
You guys are unbelievable. This country is doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies