Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 AM

465 posts, read 464,101 times

Advertisements

I have been iving away from the USA for a while now, and it's no simple task. There are lots of hoops to jump through.

You cannot just magically get citizenship in a foreign country. If you are an American, you have an American passport and that's it.

If you want to work in foreign countries you usually have to go through a lot of hoops. Medical checks, criminal checks, colleg transcripts, etc. Of course this is for good paying jobs.

If you want to work a job in a corrupt country making 300 bucks per month, with no official work visa, making visa runs at the border ever few months, that's also a possibility.

Marrying into a country is always a valid option. But obviously this is not for everyone.

Basically it's hard to just settle into a different country. There are these pesky things called visas, passports, clearance. You can't just say "Oh I don't like the US so I'll move to X county and they'll welcome me with open arms."

Of course if you've got a few hundred thousand dollars in the bank you can figure out something. But many of of are not that fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:33 AM

10 posts, read 13,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Has anyone else noticed how many people declare their hatred for America but yet continue to live here? And, you know, I would not care if they hated America and were willing to do something to offer change, but they just complain and try to sell us on the attributes of other, more "socially evolved" countries.

This is really no different than marriages that go bad...if it is that bad, LEAVE and start over where the grass is greener.

Just wondering if others noticed this trend.
Good question. Mainly because of the jobs here.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
It is the only country where they can speak what they think and not be persecuted for voicing their opinion.
What country is that?

You REALLY think there is only one country with freedom of speech??!!!OMG!

And to the other poster who thought this was the only country where women could work, drive and vote....you TOO!

PLEASE do some research...LEARN something about the world...you will be shocked ...

Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 AM

465 posts, read 464,101 times
Most people who want to leave the US do not "hate America" this is just a simplistic and ignorant way of looking at it honestly.

They are just frustrated with the politics. The corruption. The difficult economy. etc.

Most people I know who left America and live in other countries now do love America. They just have a hard time making it in the US and hve better opportunites to prosper abroad. Or they are frustrated with the current political climate there, but they hope for a change and still love their country.

Most people who label others as "America-haters" are just being willfully ignorant and looking at it in a very one-dimensional way.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
I know numerous retired military members who don't want to move back to the US.

Most of them (that I've associated with over the years) don't want to live in the culture; I completely understand.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I have been iving away from the USA for a while now, and it's no simple task. There are lots of hoops to jump through.

You cannot just magically get citizenship in a foreign country. If you are an American, you have an American passport and that's it.

If you want to work in foreign countries you usually have to go through a lot of hoops. Medical checks, criminal checks, colleg transcripts, etc. Of course this is for good paying jobs.

If you want to work a job in a corrupt country making 300 bucks per month, with no official work visa, making visa runs at the border ever few months, that's also a possibility.

Marrying into a country is always a valid option. But obviously this is not for everyone.

Basically it's hard to just settle into a different country. There are these pesky things called visas, passports, clearance. You can't just say "Oh I don't like the US so I'll move to X county and they'll welcome me with open arms."

Of course if you've got a few hundred thousand dollars in the bank you can figure out something. But many of of are not that fortunate.

This is why I haven't left.

Hopefully after my MBA, a few more years of working, and a few more computer skills, I will be more marketable abroad. I vastly preferred the lifestyle I was able to live in Europe and Latin America.

For the record, just because we criticize American culture and want to leave does not mean we hate America. I simply do not want to raise my children in a country with they cannot marry if they fall in love with the same gender, have to worry about being treated badly because they are Jewish (or worse, if they decide to be Atheist or convert to Islam), have a subpar and monolingual education system, unaffordable higher ed, and worries about paying for healthcare.

Latin America might not fit the bill for future children (though it does for me culturally), but parts of Europe certainly do.

BTW- The attitudes many of us "hate" are prevalent on this thread. The US is the *only* place with free speech, the *only* place with jobs, the *best* country in the world. Open your eyes, folks.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetrout View Post
AKA - money. They hate the USA but adore the money and government handouts.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
where else can you complain and whine and nothing will happen to you?
Ehm - in the rest of the first world?

Quote:
Where else can women drive, work, vote, and be equal?
Same answer. Well, except for driving. As far as I know, North Korea and Saudi Arabia are the only countries with restrictions on that.

Be all that as it may, I'd love to see some examples of the OP's America-haters. I'm sure there are people who envision a different America than the OP, but that doesn't mean they hate America. They might share the OP's vision for the country - and so what?

What I'd like to know is when all the Randians are going to follow up on their repeated threats to "go Galt" and retire to a secluded valley somewhere. Or perhaps they did and nobody noticed?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
AKA - money. They hate the USA but adore the money and government handouts.
Seriously? If government handouts are your thing, the US isn't the place for you. Northern Europe is much better in that department.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetrout View Post
What jobs would those be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies