Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Blind faith in the Bush administration and its one-time rubber-stamp Republican Congress? Not hardly. It seems that you have taken up residence on an even more remote bizarro-planet at this point. The fact is that you've done little more than whine and cavil over a period of rather many posts now. You have raised no questions demanding of answers. None at all.
As if the Bush administration were the be all and end all of the government's limited ability to deal with -- well, rational reality, after so many Democrat regimes, whose rubber-stamps were calloused with age. Really. You are the one reduced to whining -- and it seems comically rooted in contemporary (and transitory) phenomena.

Quote:
Others are free to believe what they will. But if those beliefs are held up as justification for social thought and/or action, and are, upon investigation, shown to be absurd and ridiculous, then they deserve to be called absurd and ridiculous. If you don't like your ideas being labeled absurd and ridiculous, then come up with a few that aren't. And knowing the actual facts behind your examples wouldn't hurt either.
Oh, you mean like "endowed by their Creator" and all that jazz? Investigate that for a while, touchin on the all-so-actual facts of the men who gave their lives for such absurd and ridiculous expressions of metaphysical faith...

Quote:
Rationality is as light as a feather. It is no more difficult to carry around than being left- or right-handed. It is fable and superstition that will weigh you down. That is like trying to move around with your hands tied behind your back. How awkward and ungainly one becomes in that...
There is nothing fabulous or superstitious in the notion that there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your feather-light burden...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,646,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As if the Bush administration were the be all and end all of the government's limited ability to deal with -- well, rational reality, after so many Democrat regimes, whose rubber-stamps were calloused with age. Really. You are the one reduced to whining -- and it seems comically rooted in contemporary (and transitory) phenomena.

Oh, you mean like "endowed by their Creator" and all that jazz? Investigate that for a while, touchin on the all-so-actual facts of the men who gave their lives for such absurd and ridiculous expressions of metaphysical faith...

There is nothing fabulous or superstitious in the notion that there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your feather-light burden...
I think liberals should just carry a picture of St Jude in thier wallets

Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,073,393 times
The truth is that the whole world is insane except you and me and I'm worried about you.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,731,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The truth is that the whole world is insane except you and me and I'm worried about you.
What do you mean by We, Kimmo Sabe ?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
I think everyone should listen to the first movement of the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5...

YouTube - Shostakovich 5th - Tilson Thomas/SFS - 1st Mvmt (I)

Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Dont worry about me, worry about America.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,347,041 times
Quote:
I think everyone should listen to the first movement of the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5...

YouTube - Shostakovich 5th - Tilson Thomas/SFS - 1st Mvmt (I)
I'm not familiar with that piece, but I do love classical music.

Violin, piano, and guitar are my three most favorite instruments.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No one would consider the Bible a history book, simply because it includes some historical events. The Civil War occurred but does that make the epic tv show "North and South" a documentary or the book "Gone With The Wind" a text book? To believe that Jesus existed and the events occurred as described in the Bible takes a substantial amount of blind faith.
Your comparisons are ludicrous.

The Bible is an accurate account of historical events, and cannot be compared to fictional stories based on historical events.

Quoting from, A Ready Defense by Josh McDowell, Chapter 8, Archaeological Evidence For the Reliability of The Old Testament

Note: Josh McDowell was an ubeliever and Bible skeptic, untill challenged by some of his Christian college friends. He set out to disprove the Bible as an accurate historical account. What he discovered changed his mind.

Quote:

William F. Albright , known for his reputation as one of the great archaeologists, states: "There can be no doubt that archaeology has confirmed the substantial historicity of the Old Testament tradition".

Albright adds:

"The excessive skepticism shown toward the Bible by important histoical schools of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, certain pahses of which still appear periodically, has been progressively discredited. Discovery after discovery has established the accuracy of innumerable details, and has brought increased recognition to the value of the Bible as a source of history"

McDowell has done more exhaustive study in this area than anyone else I know of. Of course, there is much, much more than merely that short paragraph. McDowell sites many other sources as well, with quotes and references.

It is simply not possible to claim with any credibility that the Bible is not an accurate historical account.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It is simply not possible to claim with any credibility that the Bible is not an accurate historical account.
Sure you can, on the other hand, to prove it is accurate, you would have to disregard the laws of physics, as well as genetic science.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
There is no reference anywhere in the Bible to Christ creating the earth in six days, which was the original absurd contention which I addressed.

Successfully.
Just stumbled on your reply, above, to my earlier post. My response is:

And what is Genesis?

Also, may I ask you to read John 1:1

I thought you were a Christian? Perhaps I was wrong. This is pretty basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies