Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times

Advertisements

Why is "Air America" failing? Why does conservative talk radio do so well? Is it just bad radio? Are there not enough people on the left to listen to it? I do not have it in my area so I have never listened to it. I heard today that it is just about done. Maybe air america should talk to maybe Rush and ask what makes his show so successfull.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM

172 posts, read 309,369 times
Rush Limbaugh?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM

172 posts, read 309,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I have never listened to it.
Have you heard of the internet? Apparently, you can listen to radio stations on it, regardless of where you are.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I think that there is a certain kind of person who likes to listen to someone rant on talk radio. I am not that kind of person. I just don't need it, it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe there weren't enough of those types of listeners for Air America.
I don't think NPR could necessarily be thought of as a "liberal" radio station, but when I listen to talk radio, it is what I listen to. I think NPR is very popular, and maybe that's all Air America's potential listeners really want.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Why is "Air America" failing?
Up until a few months ago, Air America suffered from extremely poor management. There's a new sheriff in town. Whether or not he can turn the station around remains to be seen.

But I wouldn't underestimate the influence of poor programming choices as well. I'm pretty far left on a lot of big issues, and I'll be the first to admit that a few of Air America's programs represent the worst of liberalism. Kooks like Mike Malloy and the screaming harpy that is Randi Rhodes...sheesh. Al Franken is a smart guy who has great guests, but I have to be honest, his 3-hour show has about 45 minutes of interesting content. His show is sometimes just a snoozer.

Thom Hartmann is the best thing on Air America, and he isn't even an Air America regular. He pulled himself up by his own bootstraps. Air America syndicates his show in many markets, but if Air America goes under, Thom won't.

Stephanie Miller's show is loads of fun, but it is more entertainment than information. Not that that's a bad thing. Just don't go in expecting to be educated in all things politic. Her Tom Cruise updates are hilarious.

Also, I would not underestimate the influence of who owns the radio stations themselves. You look at the owners, and you'll see a lot of individuals and corporations who definitely steer to the right of the political spectrum.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM

I really like Rachel Maddow. I have never listened to her on the radio but I see her on T.V. and I know she is from air america. I am conservative I do not agree with her but she is intelligent. I think if she would pair with a conservative it would make for great radio.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
I really like Rachel Maddow. I have never listened to her on the radio but I see her on T.V. and I know she is from air america. I am conservative I do not agree with her but she is intelligent. I think if she would pair with a conservative it would make for great radio.
I've only listened to her a time or two. I seemed to agree and disagree with her in equal measure, but yes, she does seem like a real smartie.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Up until a few months ago, Air America suffered from extremely poor management. There's a new sheriff in town. Whether or not he can turn the station around remains to be seen.

But I wouldn't underestimate the influence of poor programming choices as well. I'm pretty far left on a lot of big issues, and I'll be the first to admit that a few of Air America's programs represent the worst of liberalism. Kooks like Mike Malloy and the screaming harpy that is Randi Rhodes...sheesh. Al Franken is a smart guy who has great guests, but I have to be honest, his 3-hour show has about 45 minutes of interesting content. His show is sometimes just a snoozer.

Thom Hartmann is the best thing on Air America, and he isn't even an Air America regular. He pulled himself up by his own bootstraps. Air America syndicates his show in many markets, but if Air America goes under, Thom won't.

Stephanie Miller's show is loads of fun, but it is more entertainment than information. Not that that's a bad thing. Just don't go in expecting to be educated in all things politic. Her Tom Cruise updates are hilarious.

Also, I would not underestimate the influence of who owns the radio stations themselves. You look at the owners, and you'll see a lot of individuals and corporations who definitely steer to the right of the political spectrum.
I would agree with this. The left has never taken the radio format as a means to get across their message seriously, and I think it shows in that Air America hasn't found its niche. They always seem to be more caught up in the issue of the day rather than spend their money and effort in establishing a foothold in the media, which IMO is a huge mistake on their part. The right made a concerted effort to basically inundate the airwaves with conservative talk radio, and had very sound and meticulous plans to do it.

It also doesn't help that Air America isn't widely available in comparison to conservative talk radio, either. For example, on any given afternoon where I live, between just two radio stations I could listen to Beck, Savage, Limbaugh, and Hannity (if I wanted that 'claw your own eyes out' experience, that is), but there is no Air America affiliate- and I live within 60 miles of both New York and Philadelphia. I think that ties back into what I said earlier. Once the left takes radio more seriously, stations like Air America will be fine, but only if they start taking more seriously.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 AM

mb919....I would love to have air america work..Yes I am more conservative, but I love talk radio. I would listen to it all.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
Why is "Air America" failing? Why does conservative talk radio do so well? Is it just bad radio? Are there not enough people on the left to listen to it? I do not have it in my area so I have never listened to it. I heard today that it is just about done. Maybe air america should talk to maybe Rush and ask what makes his show so successfull.
Have you ever listened to Rush's show? I do... I'm a huge fan of conservative talk radio and listen to it all the time. His show is great.

Why is liberal radio tanking? Maybe they don't really have enough issues to talk about? Maybe they don't know what they are talking about? Not good enough show hosts that people want to listen to? Maybe it's as we thought all along, liberals can't hear very well. (joking).

Soon enough it will be known as "dead Air America).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies