Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,012,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
suggest you go to a poor neighborhood and look around. no book can teach you what you could learn by taking a stroll through a nice public housing project.

I work in poor neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,851,764 times
society is trying to teach us that we are entitled to more than those things though, and that we need more to survive. now we are told we must have cable, internet, phones, cars, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are other options you know. You really only need 3 things, food including water, shelter, and clothing. You can find shelter in a cardboard box that someone has discarded, you can find clothing at the Salvation Army and rescue missions and you can find food behind the fast food places that they throw out -- still warm and wrapped, just because they made too much.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,498,408 times
Because with democrats in office americans know they will get all of the welfare programs, etc

Old 05-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
what do you do there? clean up the cigarette butts, lottery tickets, and beer bottles? don't suppose any of those things could have something to do with poverty do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

I work in poor neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
why do so many people choose to be poor?
Unbelievable how anyone would believe that people "choose" to be poor.
Too ridiculous for words!
Many do. In just about every country, it's the poor having the most babies, and having babies at very young ages like 13 years of age. In just about every country, finishing school, getting job skills, marrying and having a job before you begin to pop out babies will get you ahead and then all it takes is limiting family size to the number you can support.

It's a choice to drop out of school, it's a choice to not study, it's a choice to have sex at 11 or 12 years of age, it's a choice to fail to support the children you sire. It's a choice to have children out of wedlock and expect society to take care of them.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 AM

You are in the wrong century.

Such thinking wenr out of vogue, except for the fringe, circa 1890.

In the USA.

Note: response to "Thefinalsay"

Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
society is trying to teach us that we are entitled to more than those things though, and that we need more to survive. now we are told we must have cable, internet, phones, cars, ect.
I know -- but just in case someone thinks they have to opt for "the final solution", there are other ways. Plus begging on the street corner isn't as bad as living off the government handouts. It's at least honest. The way I look at it, the beggars sit out in the cold, or the heat and are given money but they make the bleeding hearts feel very good about themselves. So I could see begging too.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 AM

who are you talking to? you didn't quote anyone in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You are in the wrong century.

Such thinking wenr out of vogue, except for the fringe, circa 1890.

In the USA.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
who are you talking to? you didn't quote anyone in this post.
Response was to you, sir or madam.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 AM

this is why private charity and family work better than government programs. there is no face to government programs. you just get a check, or direct deposit. if you actually had to go and ask someone for help, you would feel the shame associated with it, and you would not want to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know -- but just in case someone thinks they have to opt for "the final solution", there are other ways. Plus begging on the street corner isn't as bad as living off the government handouts. It's at least honest. The way I look at it, the beggars sit out in the cold, or the heat and are given money but they make the bleeding hearts feel very good about themselves. So I could see begging too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies