Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 03:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
interesting you say liberals are unrealistic when you don't seem to grasp the faintest idea that not everyone can be rich.

is someone who works at mcdonalds rich? is someone who cleans hotel rooms rich? are you blaming them for not being rich? is your plumber rich? how about the cable guy?

if they were to educate themselves in the pursuit of higher paying employment, who would fill those lower paying positions? a ghost?

so everyone can live in some mcmansion and make six figure incomes in this current economic system??

you are such a comedian.

We weren't talking about being ultra rich versus poor. Just middle class which means you work for a living, buy some things, don't depend on government handouts. Most people can be and are middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Really is that why so many rich people end up commiting suicide when they lose it all?
So depending on which part of their rich/poor cycle you catch them in or when they die..hopefully while they are still rich defines them as the rich chosers or the poor choosers.
What a lot of B/S we have in this you choose to be poor theory.
You don't choose to be poor per se, you choose the lifestyles - having children before you can afford them, failing to study and work hard, wasting money, partying too much, using drugs.

I believe you can choose to be rich if you crave money so much and will do anything at all to have it. Look at Madonna for example. Not much of a voice, not beautiful, not studious. She started out a joke, stupid stage acts, shallow voice but she wanted fame and fortunate and was willing to do anything it took and now she's extremely rich.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
"We all know that poverty is a choice".............bwhahahahahahah!

ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL! OMG! Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day! LMAO! OMG!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
well, first of all, no one in this country is really poor. they are just whining cry babies. you want poor, go to pakistan. when I say poor, I am referring to who democrats love to point to. the poverty stricken during katrina. you know, those lovely people. people who live in low income neighborhoods. I am referring to those people who claim that they can't afford medical care, but have the internet and a cell phone. I am referring to those who say they can't afford gas, but have a $300 per month car payment. I am referring to the parasites of society who contribute nothing, but look for handouts everywhere. when I see a reply like yours, I am truly reminded of how off in their own world most liberals are.
I would suggest that you take a nice little stroll through Overtown in Miami Florida.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Some don't choose to be poor. I have a bachelor of science in flight operations, plus an additional 3 years of flight training and every civilian flight certificate one can attain. I'm am a gainfully employed airline pilot. Yet, I'm on public assistance and can barely keep my head above water. They have sliced and diced our wages and benefits in this industry rather than raise ticket prices to where they should be. Therefore, my family pays the price. Plus, they are going to furlough several hundred of us later this fall. I didn't plan this, it was imposed upon me. I wasn't supposed to happen this way, it just happened. Some people try to make the responsible and smart decisions and choices, and still get screwed. Your view is too simplistic and black and white. Life, on the other hand, has a lot of gray areas.

May I suggest the view of the OP is far beyond simplistic? It is either the view of someone enormously naive or someone who just may have a very low IQ, in that case he can't help himself.

Or maybe it is just a troll post by a kid who thinks he's just tooooo hot.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.
Could the above words be the words of an enormously spoiled child who really doesn't know better, or a fool?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
I have a feeling you are more interested in heated conversation as opposed to really discussing poverty and it's causes. Your post is generalizing to the level of absurdity.
A-M-E-N.

Somebody is playing games on the Internet. His parents should cut off his access for awhile so he can gain experiential knowledge of deprivation.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
I take it you have never been to a poor neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
"We all know that poverty is a choice".............bwhahahahahahah!

ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL! OMG! Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day! LMAO! OMG!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We weren't talking about being ultra rich versus poor. Just middle class which means you work for a living, buy some things, don't depend on government handouts. Most people can be and are middle class.
can someone live on minimum wage without any help at all?

can they pay for medical insurance if the employer or the state doesn't provide it?

can they actually purchase a decent car, afford gas and pay insurance?

can they afford an apartment, food and clothing?

all this after taxes, is it possible? the current miminum wage is 6.55 per hour.

they will be barely skating by if they can afford half on the list. so no, not everyone can be middle-class.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
um, who besides a child makes minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
can someone live on minimum wage without any help at all?

can they pay for medical insurance if the employer or the state doesn't provide it?

can they actually purchase a decent car, afford gas and pay insurance?

can they afford an apartment, food and clothing?

all this after taxes, is it possible? the current miminum wage is 6.55 per hour.

they will be barely skating by if they can afford most on that list. so no, not everyone can be middle-class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies