Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I think that there is a warped view of poverty in this country. we view someone as poor if their children have to wear hand me downs, they can't afford a steak dinner, and they can't afford gourmet coffee. let's face it, there are no real poor people in this country.
Heck, there are HOMELESS people in this country, that can't even afford a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
homeless people are either addicted to drugs, or have mental problems, and would not take help even if it was offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Heck, there are HOMELESS people in this country, that can't even afford a place to live.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Quote:
homeless people are either addicted to drugs, or have mental problems, and would not take help even if it was offered.
You really don't know a damn thing.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
I know that if someone is homeless, there are about a billion ways to get help. be it the state, or be it a church. you are the one being naive and getting all your information on poor people from katrina footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
You really don't know a damn thing.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
I have a family member who lives in a 3000 sq foot home with pool in the back. She lives there with her daughter, her daughter's husband and three grandchildren. She drives a nice car and wears nice clothes and she works on commission in real estate, yet she is....homeless.

Yes...what you said...she has a mental problem.

She loves her car, her clothes and her grandchildren in which she bought $500.00 purses each, for this last years school start up in their wardrobe. I always said she was nuts.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-18-2009 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I've been homeless multiple times, but drugs and mental problems had nothing to do with it. I was employed at the time also. Most of those times I was living with a girlfriend until she decided I needed to leave--she broke up with me--and since I'd been paying her bills, I had no savings. It generally requires three months worth of rent to move into a new place. First, last, and security deposit.

But you would be right about NOT taking help--I don't work that way.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM

wait a second. you were living with someone, the place was in her name, and you were paying the bills? SCREW THAT!!!!!!

Quote:
I've been homeless multiple times, but drugs and mental problems had nothing to do with it. I was employed at the time also. Most of those times I was living with a girlfriend until she decided I needed to leave--she broke up with me--and since I'd been paying her bills, I had no savings. It generally requires three months worth of rent to move into a new place. First, last, and security deposit.

But you would be right about NOT taking help--I don't work that way.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
wait a second. you were living with someone, the place was in her name, and you were paying the bills? SCREW THAT!!!!!!
A real man supports his woman--women should not have to work. And none of mine did.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM

that's not being a real man, that's letting someone take advantage of you. unless she was taking care of kids or something,

Quote:
A real man supports his woman--women should not have to work. And none of mine did.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
that's not being a real man, that's letting someone take advantage of you. unless she was taking care of kids or something,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar

TK, you can't win no matter what you do. Little did you know that doing the 'honorable' thing was you 'being taken advantage of'....you are poor and hopeless...

This is why no one knows what is right to do any more. Confusion by definition...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies