Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Because they are lazy.

It's really that simple. When you have able bodied individuals with just enough energy to procreate, get food and watch tv, it boils down to being too lazy to participate in society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,491 times

Someone has never had to work a day in their life. Funny how people create situations for the rest of us and then complain about it.

Never been poor till now. I sure as HELL didn't CHOOSE this. It was forced upon me as well as millions of others. Soak it up.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
As a person whose parents were pretty lax about everything from chores (none), Cleaning my room (the maid), and indulged my "sick" days so often that I stayed home 1 day for every 9 I went to school (private schools are like that, as long as you keep paying them)... that when I grew up, I had a real hard time adjusting to working 40 hrs a week.

If I had been in a house with stricter parents, I may have been more ambitious than I used to be. I think parenting has everything to do with a child's success.

What do you expect kids to become when they have parents who may not set good examples or do not push them to excel? Your job as a parent is not to spoil your child, but to try to show them how to be a good citizen.

In some poor areas succeeding is consider selling out. So to be smart, and to behave, and follow the rules is consider weak character. Also drug addiction is a big problem in poorer areas, so those kids are too worried about their lousy parents problems than schoolwork.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
People are not all the same. The majority is ambitious, but some are not.
I am probably poor too officially in terms of income, but I don't receive any help, benefits etc.
But I have a lot of time for myself, I don't have much material stuff to be worried about, I am free in every sense of the word.
I avoid people who want to be wealthy or rich, bad company

Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Quote:
well, first of all, no one in this country is really poor. they are just whining cry babies. you want poor, go to pakistan. when I say poor, I am referring to who democrats love to point to. the poverty stricken during katrina. you know, those lovely people. people who live in low income neighborhoods. I am referring to those people who claim that they can't afford medical care, but have the internet and a cell phone. I am referring to those who say they can't afford gas, but have a $300 per month car payment. I am referring to the parasites of society who contribute nothing, but look for handouts everywhere. when I see a reply like yours, I am truly reminded of how off in their own world most liberals are.

Ahhh one can see where your going with this.
Should we euthanize these so called parasites or would you suggest stoning them?
This is clearly 'a bash the liberals for caring' about ALL people post.
Just who would good ole boys such as you have to pick on if the 'parasites' of society as you call them, didn't exist?
Tell us how you REALLY feel.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Many times it comes from stupid mistakes made during their youth. You roam with the wrong crowd and get a criminal record, or drop out of school after early, make too many babies and are stuck trying to raise them and balance work with caring for the kids.

We were poor when i was a child, my mother divorced with 5 kids, and she tried her best to work and provide for us, never accepting any government assistance. none of her children are poor, however.

Show me a poor person, and i may show you a reason. Not all those who are poor are just willfully lazy.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 926 times
So many people are poor because a very few people are extremely wealthy. There is only a certain amount of money. If only a few have most of it, then everyone else will have very little of it. The few have so much because everyone else agrees to buys their products, and agrees to work for them for very little pay. If there is any deserved blame on the masses, it is only blame for remaining uneducated and indiscriminating.

Everyone is born with personal power - this is the power of choice. If we all give that away to a few, then we are cultivating a society which disproportionately materially rewards a few at the harsh expense of the many. Many people who get power wield it to reduce the powers of as many other people as much they can. They reduce others by strengthening bad social structures such as scary controlling religion, superstition and poor public education. They encourage superficial culture with distractions on television, and unnecessary goods that will take away others resources as soon as they earn money. Some cultures, like Sudan, Pakistan, Iran and other places, keep people very poor with clear threats of physical force. These behaviors are driven by psychological compulsions, and not conscious decisions.

The 2001-2008 deregulations of American industry were not a "democratic decision" by the whole population - they were made by very few people to benefit only a very few people. Many, many jobs were sent overseas, where people will work for 10% of the salary required by people living in America. The owners of the companies saved 90% on each salary, and many people who live in America lost their jobs. The people who made those decisions had no misgivings about their actions. They only saw their opportunity to save money while running their businesses. They had no conception about the social network in which they live. Some, like the executives at Enron, WorldCom and others, actually stole money from their employees' retirement funds. Some, like Madoff, swindled huge amounts while working at investments and producing nothing. They also did not see that if people lose their jobs, they won't be able to buy goods. So these decisions will eventually backfire. This shows that these decisions were not well thought out.

In contrast, a few people have since been featured favorably in the news because they refused to send jobs overseas, precisely because they understand the need for local jobs, and they understand their role as skilled organizers in their society. These people are real leaders, like good parents and good teachers.

The "powerful people" are actually enslaved to their compulsions. Look up the Sociopathic disorders, Narcissistic Personality Disorder and related issues. Unfortunately, most wealthy people and political "leaders" are caught in this. Collectively, we are still running things unconsciously, just like chimps. The syndromes that run our societies are ancient.

Last edited by Researcher21064; 08-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: clarifications improvements

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
We have the most affluent poor in the world when compared to other countries.

While some stand in line for a bowl of rice, we got folks here demanding cell phone coverage.
Government pays for a roof over their head, food in their bellies, a cell phone in their hand, money to spend and clothes on their back.
The poor in America have no clue about "poor".

Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have the most affluent poor in the world when compared to other countries.

While some stand in line for a bowl of rice, we got folks here demanding cell phone coverage.
Government pays for a roof over their head, food in their bellies, a cell phone in their hand, money to spend and clothes on their back.
The poor in America have no clue about "poor".

While I agree with your assessment on "poor" & will agree that we do have some lazy people in our society, I respectfully disagree with some of your comments on what people get.
In my state of AZ the poor who collect welfare health benefits recently received a letter drastically cutting their benefits due to the ever increasing need for services. It is very hard to get cash assistance or food stamps now. Welfare does not pay for clothes or homes to live in & the cell phone thing isn't available in AZ & itself is a scam.

Don't be angry at the 'poor', we have more poor than ever in this economy, get mad at what brought us here & try to work on what would YOU do to help fix it.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,939 times
Quote:
if you can't afford health care, get another job, or quite complaining about it. I have heard of all those ways to get the internet, and I don't believe for a second that the majority of people are using those methods. I know cell phones can be had for cheap, but if you are poor, you shouldn't have one at all.
What a grinch! Are you aware of the state of the job market? Are you aware that there will never be as many jobs as there are willing able bodied workers? Are you aware of outsourcing? Are you aware of of cuts in wages, benefits, overtime, and hours for those who ARE employed?

So you would begrudge "them" a PHONE? Nice. A phone is needed for safety reasons for one thing, and it helps to have a phone when looking for a job.

I could go on, but I doubt anything that includes empathy or even practical facts would reach you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies