Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We weren't talking about being ultra rich versus poor. Just middle class which means you work for a living, buy some things, don't depend on government handouts. Most people can be and are middle class.
That would have to depend upon how "middle class" is defined, would it not? What is the lower limit of income where someone would be called middle class? 'Cause I don't think I meet that any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 19,507 times
TOO MARQUISE: If you don't like what your seeing. Why dont you just move somewhere (maybe another country) where your surrounded by your kind of people.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Oh no, I remember this guy from when I posted during the elections. He got banned. His posts were pure genius; such as this one.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Arrow Made in America

I watched two television shows last night. Both shows reminded me of this thread. One show, Extreme Makeover, and in that one they redid a community. And I thought, stop, stop, they choose to live like that, and now you have just gone and messed that all up for them.'--- I didn't actually think that, but 'the choice' posters of this thread my want to contact the folks of Extreme Makeover and let them know they are wasting their time and money.

The other show I watched was aired on PBS.

Quote:
Opportunities are few; services are limited. Learn how disparities in areas such as economics and health affect the neighborhood’s residents. Independent Lens . CRIPS AND BLOODS: Made in America | PBS
In that show they went back into history before the 1960's and brought history to present day and showed the development of the life.

Now it is true that some people choose to limit their lives in certain areas, so as to enrich their lives in other areas. Are they poor?

Some people strive to have material possessions but fail to cut the grade. Some reasons for the failure are economics and social structuring within our society. Are they poor?

One person asked define poverty. For those wishing to learn of the definition by our government threshold standard, you will find that definition here: Poverty - Main

As for as I am concerned poor is a state of mind. A person can be the wealthiest person on earth and still be poor in spirit. A person can be the poorest person on earth and be rich in spirit.

As for as one's ability to see to their own health attributing to the person's wealth or poverty---see the government and those of the government who believe America needs a nanny. To them your argument would be best served.

Poverty is made in America. The success or failure in the handling of this circumstance or circumstances are also, American made.

Judgment is called on by the people of America and it is that judgment that will aid in the success or the failure in the fight against poverty.

So there is another choice. Scream about it, or get off your tush and do something about it. It's your choice!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
the op sounds about right to me. anyone can join the army. they will pay for your housing and education while you learn a skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Oh no, I remember this guy from when I posted during the elections. He got banned. His posts were pure genius; such as this one.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
really? teenagers fill all lower paying positions? LOL

i was using mcdonalds as an example, didn't mean to stump you up. lol

why is it so hard to realize or admit not everyone can be rich?
Even McDonald's and other fast food places don't hire and pay only teens the minimum wage. Of the three fast food places and several convenience stores I've been in recently, most of the employees are either middle age or seniors.

Of course, not everyone wants to be 'rich'; they just want enough to get them the essentials and maybe a few 'luxuries'. I would have to count myself as one of them. I never saw the point of working just to buy 'things'. I own my home, I own a car, I have food in the pantry and freezer, I pay all my utilities. My 'luxuries' are my internet connection and my books. Only thing I don't have at the time of my life I might need it most is health insurance, except for eyecare which comes from my late husband's employer. And don't anyone tell me to give up my few 'luxuries' to pay for health insurance. What's the point of good health if you have to give up the few things you enjoy to obtain it?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Hi!

Hi back!

Quick update on that last - son did get to work this morning. He is now using my car, which means I have no car to do anything or go anywhere during the week, unless I can borrow cousin's car on his days off. I probably won't do that because his car is just too BIG. (I've been driving my little Miata for so long I don't know what I'm doing when I get behind the wheel of a larger vehicle. ) So I'm now basically housebound until the weekends!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I have been poor a couple of times and it was definitely NOT my choice. Once I got out by winding up in 'Nam as a well fed thug. That was not really a "transferable" skill. The other time was during a failure of my own business because the Feds under Raygun changed the rules on alternate energy. That was not exactly a choice either. I got out by finding a government job.

"we all know that poverty is a choice,..." is nothing more than an arrogant conceit and completely untrue.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have been poor a couple of times and it was definitely NOT my choice. Once I got out by winding up in 'Nam as a well fed thug. That was not really a "transferable" skill. The other time was during a failure of my own business because the Feds under Raygun changed the rules on alternate energy. That was not exactly a choice either. I got out by finding a government job.

"we all know that poverty is a choice,..." is nothing more than an arrogant conceit and completely untrue.
I think that people who say things like that are "whistling past the graveyard." They need to believe that things like poverty only happen to other people and only happen because of bad things that those people have done. They have to make themselves believe that because otherwise they would have to accept the reality that it could happen to them as well and that they can not handle.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
I think that there is a warped view of poverty in this country. we view someone as poor if their children have to wear hand me downs, they can't afford a steak dinner, and they can't afford gourmet coffee. let's face it, there are no real poor people in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies