Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,406 times

Advertisements

This is truly not a political question - it is a question of being rational. The fact that Bin Laden is still alive 7 years after the 9/11 attacks truly bothers me. We might have lost focus on him, we might have missed opportunities to get him, he might be 'ungettable', I don't know, but it really ticks me off that he is still alive.

Is this rational?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM

594 posts, read 1,044,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
This is truly not a political question - it is a question of being rational. The fact that Bin Laden is still alive 7 years after the 9/11 attacks truly bothers me. We might have lost focus on him, we might have missed opportunities to get him, he might be 'ungettable', I don't know, but it really ticks me off that he is still alive.

Is this rational?
Heck yes it's rational, esp. since I think the administration lost its focus. It's much easier to fight a "war" than it is to go on a manhunt in the caves and mountains of Afghanistan. I could be wrong, but regardless, it's perfectly rational to be ticked off that he's still out there.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I doubt that he's still alive.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I doubt that he's still alive.
Yeah, who even said he is still alive?

oh yeah, I remember -- the CIA (I mean AQ -- yeah that is it the AQ) videos and tapes.

Oh well, maybe the body will be found JUST in time for the election.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
I don't know if he is or not; my concern is that if he is alive, he is being "held in check", as it appears to be. And do you think that if he IS dead, that his cohorts are going to declare the same, not use and abuse his recorded youtubies for their use, their terror, their propaganda? Kinda hard to lead an organization when one is a dead martyr, eh?

As far as the US "losing focus," well, I suppose that could be true. I've not been to Afghanistan, but I have read the region of Tora Bora is truly inhospitable to man and beast alike. Thousands of caves and little hideaways, places of refuge for someone on the run. Granted, the US nullified the taliban in short order when first in-country, but then Bush decided to nullify Hussein as well, and there you have it. This is not to say there has not been an ongoing search for OBL, alive or dead, but yes, it was scaled back. Too bad Slick decided his head wasn't worth the effort, that it was a police action, that he wouldn't take the Saudis or Syrians or whoever it was offer for his hide way back when, then possibly the events of 9/11 may not have even happened. Of course, Zawahiri is another force to be reckoned with.

Miami Vice may well have a point in his belief. What's the bounty for OBL's head now, $50M? However, for some poor soul to lay a dime on OBL's whereabouts would mean certain and swift death for the poor soul, don't you think? Some folks value their lives more than money, you know?

But that's my input on this matter, take it or leave it, I'll stand by what I wrote.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Yes, it bothers me that we still don't know where the heck Bin Laden is, or whether he's dead or alive. At this point, I don't think it matters as much as before whether he's still alive or not. 9/11 has attracted thousands of twisted muslims who share Bin Laden's extreme view of Islam, young people who have nothing to live for in their current lives but the rewards of Jihad. These people can be anywhere, all across Europe, inside the US, Asia, Africa, anywhere, like shadows ready to kill. The problem is, how do you fight shadows?

Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,406 times
I do think if we could have found and killed him fairly soon after the attack that it would have sent a much stronger message to the rest of the world than if we find him years later. To me the side benefit of showing the rest of the world that they better not mess with us by tracking him down and killing him decreases everyday that he is at large. My concern is at this point the extremists could view this as a success simply because he has evaded us for 7 years.

The speculation of whether he is still alive at this point doesn't make me feel any better.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Quote:
I do think if we could have found and killed him fairly soon after the attack that it would have sent a much stronger message to the rest of the world than if we find him years later.

The speculation of whether he is still alive at this point doesn't make me feel any better.
This is how I feel as well. It has always bothered me that Bush wanted to go to war in Iraq instead of focusing on capturing the person behind the 9/11 attacks.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
I do think if we could have found and killed him fairly soon after the attack that it would have sent a much stronger message to the rest of the world than if we find him years later. To me the side benefit of showing the rest of the world that they better not mess with us by tracking him down and killing him decreases everyday that he is at large. My concern is at this point the extremists could view this as a success simply because he has evaded us for 7 years.

Sure, but if BushCorp acknowledged Bin Laden was dead before the Iraq Invasion, that would have ruined the pre-text (War on Terror, Inc., BS) for invading Iraq.

Can't wreck a great game by winning to quickly, yunno.

The British passed on killing Hitler early in WW2 because it would have been over too soon, as well.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM

239 posts, read 701,886 times
if we put as many resources into afganistan as we did in iraq i think we would know for sure obl was dead.. but america has never won a war against an insurgency,korea and vietnam are good examples.and the russians poured huge resources into afganistan and still got run out fairly quickly........The general who is skilled in defense hides in the most secret recesses of the earth; he who is skilled in attack flashes forth from the topmost heights of heaven. Thus on the one hand we have ability to protect ourselves; on the other, a victory that is complete.....Sun Tzu...the art of war...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies