Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Two Louisiana high school girls are fighting their expulsion and criminal charges after officials discovered laxative-laced cupcakes left in the teachers' lounge.
Jeannie Nguyen, 17, of Kenner, and Kamrin Kennedy, 17, of Marrero, were expelled from Patrick F. Taylor Science and Technology Academy after their principal, Kristi Phillippi, found 22 cupcakes made with the over-the-counter laxative MiraLAX, The Times-Picayune reported.
Authorities said that Nguyen and Kennedy made the cupcakes as a senior prank, but other students warned a teacher to avoid the treats, the New Orleans paper said.
The girls admitted adding the laxative to a cupcake mix and icing, according to a police report. They were booked on charges of mingling harmful substances, which carries a two-year prison sentence and $1,000 fine as punishment, and were suspended for the rest of the school year, The Times-Picayune said.
It's a punishment that parents are calling too tough.
"We're not justifying what these kids did," Kamrin's mother, Marietta Kennedy, told the paper. "But the thing is, we just think the punishment doesn't fit the crime."
I'm laughing all the way to the bathroom!

FOXNews.com - Students Fighting Punishment After Laxative Cupcake Prank Discovered - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Can people have an allergic reaction to this laxative? Is it potentially fatal? If no to both questions then all these girls deserve is a slap on the wrist.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Prison? No. But they do deserve to be expelled, or at the very least suspended with a boat load of community service work.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Prison? No. But they do deserve to be expelled, or at the very least suspended with a boat load of community service work.
I agree. Prison? No. However-they do need a severe punishment-certainly more than a slap on the wrist.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
They deserve to be exposed and self-humiliated for doing something that they later realized was show-offy stupid. When I did stupid things, that's how I learned not to be a stupidity-recidivist. Nothing more need be done. They will not re-offend, and the matter settled as soon as they got summoned to the principal's office.

And a major daily newspaper of the integrity of the Times Picayune has no business covering a story like this., For their information, the newspaper was named after the small coin of the French colonies that was once the newsstand price of the paper, not after their journalistic aspirations.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:59 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
Wow. People have been doing this for generations. Has anyone ever died of laxative ingestion?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:03 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
too many laxatives can make you really sick. they deserved to be expelled.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
I have to disagree; I can see them being suspended, yes. Expelled for a stupid prank that intended no real harm, no.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I have to disagree; I can see them being suspended, yes. Expelled for a stupid prank that intended no real harm, no.
I think they completely intended to do some real harm. I suppose it could have been *worse* (as in, the could have laced it with psychotropic drugs or crushed glass...), but as it is, they chose to do something they were well aware could cause someone to have a bad reaction. Be it on a dare or not, the actions of these 2 put other people in danger of physical pain. And at 17, they *really* should have known better.

If it wasn't to cause physical pain and/or discomfort, then what do you think their intention was?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
If a teacher or other students can be fired or expelled, respectively, for giving a student an aspirin then these girls deserve no less than an expulsion.

In a school setting there is Zero Tolerance and that extends to over the counter drugs. This action is considered assault.

We don't know what type of laxative this was. Many people may not be allergic to the active drug itself but could be allergic to the type of vehicle in that drug.

I am highly allergic to perfumes, colognes, air fresheners and scented deodorants. In the beginning of the school year my students' parents were given a letter that stated this fact and were alerted that they as well as the child could be held responsible if I was subjected to same. In all my years of teaching I only had a problem with it once and the student was expelled and criminally charged. He didn't take it seriously and sprayed his cologne around the room. I was hospitalized with an asthma attack. That student, also, was high school student.

At age 17, if they are to stupid to know that they could do damage to another human, they should suffer the consequences.

After all, when they turn 18 they get to vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies