Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walksalone View Post
I don't vote based on religious convictions, political affiliations, financial status, or the pigment of someones skin.
So, how do you judge right from wrong, good from evil.

Pigment of skin makes no difference to me either. What one believes in their heart does. I think it is extremely important.

Does Obama believe what Jerimiah Wright does? He sat their for 20 some years. Why? He must agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Yes.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We are a representative republic, and there is no "separation of church and state" in the sense that most people think that means today. In fact, that phrase appears nowhere in any of our founding documents.

Where in the world did you here that? What leftist blog are you getting that from? Please provide me the link. That is an absolute lie, and I suspect you know it full well.

Well you are the one that believes the lie. Where is the proof? We have heard the tapes of Wright.

Google "honor killings in America" and see what you come up with.

Any person with any religious convictions at all, be they atheist, agnostic, Christian, Jew, or what-have-you, cannot help but base their judgements, decisions, etc. on their particular belief system. How does one divorce himself or herself from it? A Muslim has a Muslim world view. A Christian has a Christian world view. They are diametrically opposed. They cannot coexist. Muslims see our liberty and our way of life as corrupt and sinful.

The entire "Western World" is what it is today largely because of Christianity. This cannot be denied. Western civilization is under threat of extinction because of Islamic infiltration.

Christianity is not a political "system". Christianity, simply put, is having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ (God). Christians do not desire to take over the world. Islam does. Yes, Christians would like that everyone be "saved" (you may not know what that means). But we don't kill people who refuse the message. Islam does.

Really? Then why do you disparage Sarah Palin? You do not think that describes her?

Tolerance is different from acceptance. We can tolerate certain things, but that does not mean we accept them. In the world, there will be things we don't accept. We tolerate them, and pray for change or conversion. But we don't have to (and should not be) silent on issues that affect our society. We should speak out against evil, and we should participate and work for good. This is preciseley why Christians should let their voice be heard in government affairs, and influence decisions. Our founders did. Why should we let what they built go to hell in an handbasket?

I am not ashamed of my beliefs. I will speak out. I want my grandchildren (3 now) to have the kind of country that I grew up in. But I fear we are in grave danger of losing it.

From your posts, I honestly did not see a shred of Christianity. Are you now saying that you are a Christian?

I do see that happening. It is largely because of a rejection of our moral foundation by people who think Christians are just nut cases (as you described Sarah Palin or at least the pastor of her former church).
How about Newsweek and the Washington Post? Is that too liberal for you?

Under God: Palin's Pastor Problem - On Faith at washingtonpost.com

You could also google "Palin pastor witchcraft" and get 174,000 hits.

At youtube, search for "Palin minister witchcraft" and you can watch this same "minister" do a laying on of hands on Palin. I'm told he even asks God to save her from witchcraft, but I didn't watch the whole thing, so I don't know.

So you don't see a "shred of Christianity" in my posts and imply that I couldn't possibly be one...well, if being a Christian means meeting your definition of what a Christian is—accepting Jesus as your personal savior—then I am one. (Yes, I know what it is to be "saved.") But if it means intolerance, bigotry, and imposing my religious beliefs on others and proclaiming it the only worthwhile religion, then I'm not. There are many paths to the mountaintop. I'd never profess to know the right way for everyone.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,785 times
Default would vote

I would vote for an agnostic or athesit any day over any person of a religous persuasion.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
So, how do you judge right from wrong, good from evil.

You don't have to have a religion to have morals. Not to mention, morality is subjective anyways. And the constitution is not based upon the bible, rather, it's taken from numerous examples. Justinian's code comes to mind. Especially sense the founding fathers themselves said this was not a christian nation.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,699,048 times
Of course. Religion and politics are supposed to be seperate any way. I'd rather have someone make their own decisions rather than justifying it as God's choice. I'd have to belive in the ideas as well though.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,289 times
Quote:
Obama is no Christian. A Christian does not sit in a "church" listening to a man preaching hate and racism for 20 years, and I question the so-called "reverend" Wright's claim to be Christian as well. This is not the character of a Christian.

Christianity, and Judaism are the foundation of our moral code. But what is the moral foundation of an atheist or so-called agnostic? What guides them? On what basis do they judge right and wrong? From where do their ethics come?

Our entire system of government and our laws reflect the religious beliefs of our founders.

Muslims believe in "honor killings". Should we allow this to become legal in the U.S. under "freedom of religion"?

If we abandon our roots in Christianity, we will quickly see our country dissolve into anarchy, immorality, and third world status.

A President without a moral foundation is a dictator. You bet I require him (or her) to be Christian, and there is no such thing as being "too Christian".

A Christian is called to express "righteous indignation" and there is much
on all sides here to be that about.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
I wouldn't necessarily emphasize someone's religious preference over what their party platform stood for (of course, we've seen how many politicians don't always stay true to their original promises). However, if there were theoretically two candidates who had very similar platforms, but one was openly religious and the other was openly atheist, I would then vote for the atheist.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I would vote for an agnostic or athesit any day over any person of a religous persuasion.
Really? What if the agnostic or athiest believed in Eugenics?
What if the agnostic or Athiest believed in using disabled people for medical experiments?
No I don't vote based on someone believing or not believing in god.
I vote based on their history and where they stand on what matters to me.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
If they hold views I agree with, I see no reason why not to vote for an atheist or agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies