Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Just read how they attack me.....not one poster has offered to debate a single issue with an open mind....all they are doing is serving to help reinforce what I have said in my post. And for the record, I've gotten an overwhelmingly positive response via DM on this post. Some people do get it. Those who don't, oh well, they probably never will.
Aye, most don't get it. Then again, most lack even the most basic understanding of what a logical argument is, what supporting an argument means and what ethical debate is all about. They love to point fingers at the politicians for being dirty while they themselves sit in a big pool of mud.

It begs the question though, why do they do it? I mean, a lot of these claims are easily researched. Why not deal with the information honestly? If people have to resort to name calling, focusing on personal aspects that are irrelevant to the issue, then it only serves to show they have a large hole in their reasoning.

I can tell you exactly why I dislike a candidate and I can do it without making a single comment about their speech, their appearance, or the like. I simply go back through their history and I look for the things they supported, the actions they took, and how they resolved them. That tells me a lot more about the person than hacked up video clips attempting to make them look stupid, to impress upon the viewer through subtle filming a certain bias.

It seems to me that if a person has to cut someone off to make a claim, then they are merely looking to manufacture a position of their choosing. All too common these days to be honest.

You won't get honest commentary from most people on these boards. Slander is the name of the game during this season and people act like children in its execution. They think if they bug you enough with it, you will give in and accept their childish demands. It may work for some people, but I find it amusing simply because they really do not see how silly they are being. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,628 times
Quote:
AMERICAN GREED PLAYED A HUGE PART IN THIS ECONOMIC CRISIS. John Doe "A" bought himself a nice big 4500 sq. ft. house with granite counters, 4 car garage, 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and on and on. John Doe "B" saw this and he wanted the same thing. He couldn't afford it, and he knew it but he wanted it. And Mr. Greedy lender wanted to give him the loan, because he got a commision on it. And of course with your shiny new house, you need a shiny new Mercedes, or Land Rover, or some other $70k vehicle so the nighbors won't think your below them. This went on very years with milions of households. It was one big Pyramid scheme, and now the money has run out. Too many people were loaned money that shouldn't have been, and now we are all paying the price. Hate me for saying it, I don't care. We need this kind of financial crisis to bring the American Public brought down to reality and realize what the important things in life are.
I agree with you on everything you wrote. But one thing I dont think your realize is that the "predatory lending" was required by law. Just ask obama, he would sue banks for not lending to risky borrowers, the government would impose fines. They have to lend those loans as per law that was put into effect by democrats in '76, but supercharged by clinton in the mid 90's and again in '99 before he left office. barely 10 years went by after that legislation to give a loan to everyone has passed and it crashed everything. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae need to be split up and downsized. They need growth caps. I am not saying that it isnt everyones fault and I am simply saying how it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sarah Palin is a hard-working mother, yes. All mothers work hard, especially those with jobs outside the home. Sarah may not be dumb, but she is way "out of her league", "not ready for prime time", "not ready to play with the big kids", and whatever other cliches you can think of that say she's not qualilfied to be the VP. She's a trained newscaster who can't even do an interview, b/c she doesn't know what she's talking about, literally.
Well, It can’t be easy. She wasn’t even republican till she ran for governor. She has her own set of ideals, but has to learn all of McCains for the debate and interviews. If she was allowed to state her own views she would be fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,252,369 times
This is a horrible thread. Those McCain and Palin concerns are valid. Dont lump Obama in there.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Default People in glass houses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
People in glass houses...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5477067-post25.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5473242-post19.html

I think you should take your own advice
'Relax, have a drink, enjoy the show. You are wrapped way too tight!'
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5472624-post12.html

...need a lot of insurance.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Exclamation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
I agree with you on everything you wrote. But one thing I dont think your realize is that the "predatory lending" was required by law.
Mortgage fraud inquiry nets hundreds

Government official says losses in the fraud cases total about $1 billion.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hundreds of people across the country have been arrested by law enforcement officials targeting crooked mortgage brokers, real estate agents, and other industry officials, the head of the FBI and a top Justice Department official said Thursday.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 PM

307 posts, read 715,727 times
Well I am new to the forum so I am not familar with your views or other posts but when you want to make a point about how people should not insult each other, etc why would you then go into a diatribe about how stupid we all are, none of us has half a brain, and throw out a ton of insults yourself? You started off with a point but then it just went totally the other way. Also if this was directed at dems and republicans than why the comments about us all being so lazy and wanting the gov to take care of us? Was that directed at both dems and republicans??

Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Did you have something to debate?
Do you?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
While I may agree with you on the point of your rant SS, I won't bother to respond otherwise since you yourself dissovle into insults, hatred, venom and spewage. Unfortunately, you became the thing you're rallying against.
You made my point so +1 for you! If the original post was coming from someone who actually engaged in thoughtful, non-insulting debate, it would be taken a lot more seriously (most of us have seen your postings and know better). I find it rather ironic that the OP resorted to insults when chastising everyone about being insulting. Then to add more humor, the OP proceeds to follow-up with more insults when responding to people that respond to the post.

P.S. To OP, I couldn't help but notice that all but one of your examples of "stupid" threads happen to be threads against your candidate of choice when we in fact know at least 50% (and I'm being conservative just to keep the peace) of these threads are anti-Obama, anti-liberal/Democrat. Next time, be less biased, could help with the credibility.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
3. Palin is dumb - Sarah Palin is not dumb at all. She is a hard working mother, and I suspect that if the mother of your children were to be called dumb by someone on the street to your face, you'd probably punch a hole in their head, I know I would.
No doubt she might be a hard working, loving, caring mother/wife/daughter/neighbor/whatever. That is not the point. The point is she is running for the VP position for which she does not qualify on any possible criteria.

If you think logically even for a split second, you will realize how wrong you are.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Well ShakenStirred, at least you got 5 pages of responses of most people proving your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies