Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Childbirth is a much more taxing, complicated process than an early abortion.

I guess the CDC is wrong.

How safe is abortion?

* The risk of abortion complications is minimal when the procedure is performed by a trained professional in a hygienic setting: Fewer than 1% of all U.S. abortion patients experience a major complication. The risk of death associated with abortion in the United States is less than 0.6 per 100,000 procedures, which is less than one-tenth as large as the risk associated with childbirth. (40) However, 68,000 women in countries where abortion is illegal die each year of abortion complications, and many times this number are injured by unsafe procedures. (5)
My point is, and always has been that abortion is not a procedure without risk, and if you are one of the 1% to develope a complication like Ashermans Syndrome, then it is especially daunting.
My d&c was performed by a highly regarded obgyn who had been in practice for over twenty years. It was performed in a surgical center. Everything should have been fine --- it wasn't. Furthermore, when women present with symptoms of Ashermans Syndrome, they are often pooh-poohed by their drs (fearing litigious recourse, who knows?).
At anyrate, most women do not have the abortion provider as their regular gyn, so how would the abortion provider know if complications developed? All I know is that I belonged to a Yahoo group of women from around the world who suffer from Ashermans - developed by both abortion and miscarriage - so rare its not.
Again, not downplaying the dangers of pregnancy, but lets not gloss over the danger of abortions, either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Lionking But the solution you are proposing is draconian..
Actually I don't think I have proposed any solutions because I know this is one of the most hard topics with no real easy answer with people on both sides very passionate yet I think tunnel visioned about this.

We have one side that has advanced women's rights,and I think women's rights are a good thing but in this case in the process have narrowly focused their attention on the rights of a women and forgotten about the fact that a future life is in question and also not just the woman's future as a parent but the man's also.

We have the other side that is passionate about protecting the childs future life but has used wrong publicity in trying to further their cause and many of whom believe in small government and individual rights yet are ready to use government and bans as a way they think will stop abortion.

As I have racked my mind and debated over various subjects using the guide principle of individual rights and the ideal that what freedom is is up to a person to decide and that nobody has the right to obstruct a person's freedom until they use their freedom to intrude on anothers.And as I have witnessed people on both sides of issues tend to champion their freedom yet ready to use laws and bans to obstruct others freedoms I have come to the conclusion that if America is to remain free as a nation people need to start not trying to limit people's freedoms when they don't agree with them.But there needs to be more respect for life both for one's self and others.

And this where In my opinion topics be it abortion,substance use,prostitution,and anything as a moral topic is best resolved or at least made a step in the right direction by public awareness and debate,not by bans and laws.People change when they want to change,people are more open to persuasion when they are challenged to thought not by force but by those who can give reason to why people should agree with them in a non threatening way.

The anti abortion crowd often call people murderers who do a abortion.That is a wrong way that is hostile to people and does not make people feel united to them.They often use religious example why abortion is wrong and that is another way they turn away some people.If you want to persuade someone to believe what you believe you have to make them think and feel that they are like you,and to make them look to themselves but not make them think they are less than you.

This is where I think a campaign by anti abortion people would be better reaching if they were to conduct awareness more by making people believe their life is valuable and if you love your life you should respect and love anothers also.Make people think,don't preach to them though.

Now the pro abortion crowd have also mismanaged their cause because they have made this about the woman and discarded the respect for life.And that means responsibilty also.It has become about "me" and have less thought about "what I do effects others also and I'm responsible for that".

True change starts in the home and society.It is the foundation of whether any moral topic I mentioned will decrease or not.The government can pass laws and bans or it can pass the right to choose,but ultimately a person that does the right thing and loves life including anothers and is responsible is because they believe it and live it.

I don't believe there is a one size solution to eliminate abortion at least using government.I do believe like the campaign against cigarettes is that you can have something remain legal yet with effective awareness make people think and change people's habits.It won't eliminate it but it will decrease it and like I said people are usually more responsive to what makes them think rather than trying to force will upon someone.That is freewill and freedom afterall.

A person passionate and sincere or at least seemingly so can effect more change by persuasion rather than rule of law.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,858,030 times
I started a thread like this. men have no rights in this issue, they only have wallets.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,444,846 times
If you are going to have sex with a woman, you should be having this conversation BEFORE you do the deed, that way you know where you both stand. If you don't even know where she stands on this issue, why are you having sex with her, if it is such a big issue to you?
Men can always chose not to have sex with women that would get an abortion.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Of course a man can have a say but he cannot coerce the woman to continue a pregnancy when she decides she cannot continue.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes. However, the point at where their choice is given to them is when they have sex. Decide not to use birth control? You've made your choice. After that, your choice has passed and it's the woman's turn.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I started a thread like this. men have no rights in this issue, they only have wallets.
So open up your wallet, take out a few bills, and buy some condoms.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Oh, so it's always the woman's fault.

Gotcha.

Better punish her with unwanted pregnancy. That'll teach her.

If you don't want to get pregnant...........don't have sex. If you do, there is a chance you will get pregnant. That's kinda what sex is for............

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM

not sure what the point of that is. I don't get women pregnant. I don't have this problem. I do have a problem that it takes two to tango, but it only takes one to ruin the life of another. you think guys enjoy spending money on a child they have no say in raising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
So open up your wallet, take out a few bills, and buy some condoms.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 PM

ok, who called me a nutjob?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies