Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times

Advertisements

quote=cpg35223;5839749]Okay. I'm game. This is coming from somebody who lived in close proximity to the 'Hood, have done a great deal of work with families in the hood, coached little league baseball, and a little bit of everything else.

1) Why can't you idiots stop shooting each other?

2) And what is all this macho posturing about? I think Martin Luther King had more testicles that all the Crips and Bloods put together, and he never shot anybody. Come to think of it, MLK never packed anything but a Bible and a first-class mind. He wore a jacket and tie, and spoke some of the most eloquent words ever voiced in the English language.

3) And if you guys are all about getting respect, why don't you guys learn to talk like educated people rather than like you just jammed a bag full of Stay Puff Marshmallows in your mouth? A man who can talk to me in clear, precise English gets a lot of respect from me, regardless of whether he's white, black, red, yellow, brown, or green with eyestalks. And that goes for pretty much everybody else in the world.

4) And what's the deal with all the ugly jewelry and outsized hubcaps on the cars? I know that's probably cool in your tiny little world, but the rest of the world thinks it's something to make fun of.

5) Oh, and why do you guys insist on blasting your music so that everybody in the Zip Code can hear it? Are you compensating for some feeling of inferiority?

6) Having done my share of work in the inner city with kids, what's with you guys knocking up somebody and disappearing the minute she tells you she's pregnant? I mean, a real man would stick around and be a father to the child.

7) If you gangbangers can lift weights for hours, dunk a basketball, or memorize rap lyrics, why can't you hold down a decent job or study for your high school biology exam? Because the guys who make it in this world are the ones who have brains. Meanwhile, the highwater mark of your life will be assistant manager at a car wash.

8) What's with rap, anyway? Don't you realize how boring it is, and what total frauds those guys are? For guys who get off on being streetwise, don't you realize how badly you're getting played by them?

9) Why don't you guys learn how to dress? The jewelry makes you look as if you're secretly pining away to be Elton John's special friend on Saturday night. And the outsized clothes that hang off of you like curtains looks as if you're wearing the castoffs from your cousin Stumpy who just returned from a successful six-month trip to the fat-farm.

11) What exactly is the attraction of prison? Is it so fun to you that you can't wait to rob a liquor store so you can go back?

Thank you. I've really always wanted to ask these questions.[/quote]

Black on Black violence is prevalent in "the hood" simply because the lack of a father figure- gangs become children's nonsurrogate father thus manipulating them and turning them into unproductive citizens. Also when you have a high consentration of low income individuals with a higher than normal unemployment rate people tend to find other ways to support themselves. At the end of the day the reason I just stated is the cause for most black on black crimes- it's all socioeconomic.

2) And what is all this macho posturing about? I think Martin Luther King had more testicles that all the Crips and Bloods put together, and he never shot anybody. Come to think of it, MLK never packed anything but a Bible and a first-class mind. He wore a jacket and tie, and spoke some of the most eloquent words ever voiced in the English language.
Macho posturing Did you really put Bloods and Crips in the same sentence as Martin Luther King??? Of course one would think more highly of MLK than any gang, but if you are in the hood you're thinking about survival- not wearing a jacket, tie, or speaking eloquent english for outsiders can understand you (African American vernacular). Everyone wants to fit in, yet stay under the radar- in the hood or in middle America- that my friend is human nature.

3) And if you guys are all about getting respect, why don't you guys learn to talk like educated people rather than like you just jammed a bag full of Stay Puff Marshmallows in your mouth? A man who can talk to me in clear, precise English gets a lot of respect from me, regardless of whether he's white, black, red, yellow, brown, or green with eyestalks. And that goes for pretty much everybody else in the world.
Most people in England would say a lot of Americans do not speak proper English- with that said ebonics- IMO is a dialect. Dialects across the world sometimes differ from village to village depending on cultural and regional differences ya digs me
4) And what's the deal with all the ugly jewelry and outsized hubcaps on the cars? I know that's probably cool in your tiny little world, but the rest of the world thinks it's something to make fun of.

I've seen people in white suburbia with rims- In the hood we don't care what the rest of the world thinks in case you haven't notice. Saying something is ugly is your opinion, but just because you wear opened toed sandles with jeans doesn't mean you have the highest fashion sense either.

5) Oh, and why do you guys insist on blasting your music so that everybody in the Zip Code can hear it? Are you compensating for some feeling of inferiority?

Well when I'm in the hood I listen to my music as loud as I can stand it- loud music gives one a feeling of excitement, exuberance, not to mention I'm compensating for my feeling of inferiority Don't worry- normally when leave the hood and enter your little world I turn the music down- I don't want to give the police another reason to pull me over

6) Having done my share of work in the inner city with kids, what's with you guys knocking up somebody and disappearing the minute she tells you she's pregnant? I mean, a real man would stick around and be a father to the child.

Seems like you've already painted a clear picture of what you think about people in the hood. People in the hood are animals correct? If so- most animals mate and keep moving. On a serious note- this is a problem that plagues the hood, and I have no real answers. I could say something about slavery- about how families were ripped apart starting a cycle of absent fathers, but then it would sound like I'm pointing fingers and that's not the case.

7) If you gangbangers can lift weights for hours, dunk a basketball, or memorize rap lyrics, why can't you hold down a decent job or study for your high school biology exam? Because the guys who make it in this world are the ones who have brains. Meanwhile, the highwater mark of your life will be assistant manager at a car wash.

Black Male unemployment rate for 2007 was around 9.7% which is higher than average, but this also means 90% of black males held jobs. At the end of the day what is wrong with making a honest living (assistant manager at a carwash)? You first bash people who aren't productive(gangbangers), but later belittle those who tax paying law abiding citizens. We're not trying to satisfy you people.

8) What's with rap, anyway? Don't you realize how boring it is, and what total frauds those guys are? For guys who get off on being streetwise, don't you realize how badly you're getting played by them?

More subjective criticism huh....Rap wasn't a problem until children from suburbia dressed, talked, and walked like their favorite rappers. Don't blame the rappers, blame the CEOs for putting out the propaganda you love to hate.

9) Why don't you guys learn how to dress? The jewelry makes you look as if you're secretly pining away to be Elton John's special friend on Saturday night. And the outsized clothes that hang off of you like curtains looks as if you're wearing the castoffs from your cousin Stumpy who just returned from a successful six-month trip to the fat-farm.

In the hood we don't have cousins named Stumpy- we have cousins named Pookie and Bey-Bey. Also no need for homosexual subliminals- if one wants to be Elton John's special Saturday night friend it's his right( do I sound politically correct enough?) Also individuals who wear their pants down their asses are no different than people who wear super duper long pants that sweep the ground (or mop when raining), wrinkled clothing, and smedium tee shirts and pants- they do it to fit in.

10) Can you speak two or three successive sentences without the f-word? I know you weren't paying attention in English class at Booker T. Washington High school, but didn't you learn any vocabulary at all?
Take a break from 'Friends' or 'Seinfeld' and then go watch 'The Original Kings of Comedy'- Bernie explains why we use motherskunker so much

11) What exactly is the attraction of prison? Is it so fun to you that you can't wait to rob a liquor store so you can go back?
It has to be the three hots and a cot

This was fun- Holla Black...oops I mean talk to you soon

Last edited by noid_1985; 10-25-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I'm game. This is coming from somebody who lived in close proximity to the 'Hood, have done a great deal of work with families in the hood, coached little league baseball, and a little bit of everything else.

10) Can you speak two or three successive sentences without the f-word? I know you weren't paying attention in English class at Booker T. Washington High school, but didn't you learn any vocabulary at all?

Thank you. I've really always wanted to ask these questions.
Interesting thread. Reminds me of Ask a Mexican. I like noid_1985's answers, for the most part, but I think the answer to a lot of your questions can be summed up in two words: The Ghetto. It is doing the job it's supposed to do, which is to warehouse and contain a certain segment of the population. What else can you expect from a high concentration of poor and low-income people, people with limited choices and limited means? Think about the neighborhood you probably live in and turn it inside out. Two-parent home in a well-to-do suburb? Single parent home in the ghetto. Dual incomes? One income. Two newish cars? One beater or none at all in the hood. After-school activities or mom at home waiting for the kids and can help them with their homework? Boys & Girls Clubs, if they're lucky, otherwise it's hanging out on the block because mom's working a minimum-wage job to keep food on the table and pay the rent, too tired to help with homework by the time she gets home, if she's educated well enough to, and so on. Until these kids get out of the ghetto or find a way to overcome it, by some miracle or positive peer/adult influence, these patterns will continue.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Interesting thread. Reminds me of Ask a Mexican. I like noid_1985's answers, for the most part, but I think the answer to a lot of your questions can be summed up in two words: The Ghetto. It is doing the job it's supposed to do, which is to warehouse and contain a certain segment of the population. What else can you expect from a high concentration of poor and low-income people, people with limited choices and limited means? Think about the neighborhood you probably live in and turn it inside out. Two-parent home in a well-to-do suburb? Single parent home in the ghetto. Dual incomes? One income. Two newish cars? One beater or none at all in the hood. After-school activities for the kids? Boys & Girls Clubs, if they're lucky, otherwise it's hanging out on the block, and so on. Until these kids get out of the ghetto or find a way to overcome it, by some miracle or positive peer/adult influence, these patterns will continue.
After all the questions I answered- you've summed it up best

Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Interesting thread. Reminds me of Ask a Mexican. I like noid_1985's answers, for the most part, but I think the answer to a lot of your questions can be summed up in two words: The Ghetto. It is doing the job it's supposed to do, which is to warehouse and contain a certain segment of the population. What else can you expect from a high concentration of poor and low-income people, people with limited choices and limited means? Think about the neighborhood you probably live in and turn it inside out. Two-parent home in a well-to-do suburb? Single parent home in the ghetto. Dual incomes? One income. Two newish cars? One beater or none at all in the hood. After-school activities or mom at home waiting for the kids and can help them with their homework? Boys & Girls Clubs, if they're lucky, otherwise it's hanging out on the block because mom's working a minimum-wage job to keep food on the table and pay the rent, too tired to help with homework by the time she gets home, if she's educated well enough to, and so on. Until these kids get out of the ghetto or find a way to overcome it, by some miracle or positive peer/adult influence, these patterns will continue.
See, as somebody who lived nearby one of those neighborhoods for fifteen years and volunteered for Little League baseball, literacy and tutoring, job training, GED, and every other program under the sun, I'm actually more sympathetic than you might think.

At the same time, I don't buy that "We're trapped" argument, particularly when you look at the huge web of social services and the fact of a very large and growing black middle class with whom I work and socialize every day of my life. Nope, my scorn is pretty much reserved for the self-perpetuating stupidity of inner city culture, with its self-destructiveness and violence. Yet while one points out the obvious, you tend to get a lot of rationalizing.

Well, guess what? The average 2nd generation immigrant from Africa or the Caribbean has a higher per capita income than the average White American, so you can't exactly blame discrimination. Instead, the inner city's toxic culture is doing far more to prevent economic success than any external factors.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, as somebody who lived nearby one of those neighborhoods for fifteen years and volunteered for Little League baseball, literacy and tutoring, job training, GED, and every other program under the sun, I'm actually more sympathetic than you might think.

At the same time, I don't buy that "We're trapped" argument, particularly when you look at the huge web of social services and the fact of a very large and growing black middle class with whom I work and socialize every day of my life. Nope, my scorn is pretty much reserved for the self-perpetuating stupidity of inner city culture, with its self-destructiveness and violence. Yet while one points out the obvious, you tend to get a lot of rationalizing.

Well, guess what? The average 2nd generation immigrant from Africa or the Caribbean has a higher per capita income than the average White American, so you can't exactly blame discrimination. Instead, the inner city's toxic culture is doing far more to prevent economic success than any external factors.
I don't think a change of geographical location will change a toxic culture. When Katrina victims were moved into Houston, I thought "that's great people are getting a fresh start." In spite of getting a fresh start, the crime rate increased in Houston. So maybe it's not the ghetto itself but the ghetto mentality. I remember hearing about a woman who spent her Katrina aid on a Louis Vuitton purse. Could status be more important than day to day needs for survival? I don't think people will change unless they have a strong desire for change.
Also I'd like to ask the OP if he thinks Affirmative Action or any other programs have been helpful for black people. Thanks for posting this thread.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
As a white man, if I walked through the hood arm in arm with a black woman, minding my own business, how many minutes would it take until I got the living crap beat out of me?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
As a white man, if I walked through the hood arm in arm with a black woman, minding my own business, how many minutes would it take until I got the living crap beat out of me?
Oh. That's a pretty good one.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
I ran the numbers, and included seasonal factors in the calculation. In summer it would take 4 minutes, 3 seconds. In winter it would take 7 minutes, 28 seconds. There's a margin of error of +/- 12 seconds. Should you be walking near a payday loans or bail bondsman establishment, subract 20-29 seconds.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Heh, same thing in an ultra conservative, kkk, skin head ridden small town.

Stop trying make us brothas feel bad by having an attractive black woman at your side, you don't have to rub it in :P

Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
This is a question my mother (an asian immigrant) has often asked (rhetorically, but I bet she'd like to really know the answer b/c she is a student of political and social sciences)...

She wonders aloud why it is that many immigrants from other countries can come to the U.S. with literally nothing, not use any of the welfare/social systems, and become very successful while the black population already living in the U.S. seems to overall not fare well economically.

She states with growing up here, knowing the system and infrastructure, speaking the language from birth, and knowing people in the country, it makes no sense for the black population not to be better off than they are...and certainly does not make sense that they are not better off than poor immigrants.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies