Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I agree somewhat on OPEC, however you are wrong about the stations not making much money on gasoline. If they only make a couple pennies per gallon on gas, they wouldn't be in business. Most people don't even go inside to pay for gas anymore, so that rules out the owner making money on snacks. The bottom line is when the "boss" calls the station and tells them to raise the price three times in one hour, they are adjusting their profit. These station owners are in business for a reason. Like I said, if gasoline sales weren't profitable, they wouldn't sell it.
I work at a title company and one of our clients has a slew of gas stations. He's constantly refi'ing, buying and selling the land and businesses. Between THAT and his markets/service stations at the gas stations, thats where he makes his money.

In fact, he sometimes breaks even on gas just to get patrons into his stores and service centers.

Gas is not very profitable at the gas station level. Its the ancillary income from those stations that keep them in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
I agree somewhat on OPEC, however you are wrong about the stations not making much money on gasoline.
When you consider the energy needed to run the pumps and the money needed to maintain them (and the fines that can result (http://www.khou.com/news/defenders/investigate/stories/khou082108_tnt_gas_pump_fuel_cheating_sunmart.1be4 d159.html - broken link) in not doing so), they really don't.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I agree that we need alternative fuel cars. But you apparently haven't considered that they currently aren't affordable for many Americans or even widely available! It will take a VERY LONG TIME to finesse the technology enough to make the cars affordable enough for average folks to buy and to increase the supply of them.

in 2004, I was third on a waiting list for six months to buy a Toyota Prius and the list never moved. My car bit the dust and I had to buy something else -- a Saab sport wagon that gets very good gas mileage. A few months after buying the Saab, I called the Toyota dealer to see how much the list had moved. They had only received ONE Prius. I would have been on that waiting list for two years at that rate!

We're NOT THERE and it will take a while to get there. In the meantime, we need to expand our domestic oil sources.
That's why car makers are tanking. Toyota had the mindset to think ahead. That's why they are #1 in the world. There's a reason why GM is in the tank. They will come out with the Volt and it will be too late. It will be expensive and unreliable. Toyota will have something better by then, more than likely. No vision by U.S. automakers.

Hell, if the entire U.S. drove hybrids, we wouldn't have a problem.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
OPEC vows to jack up gas prices to ruin US economy.

OPEC Pushing to Cut Production, Drive Up Oil and Gasoline Prices

Just as Americans are finally beginning to reap the benefits of plunging gasoline prices — including more money in their pockets — OPEC is getting ready to squeeze them once again by cutting oil production and driving up prices to refineries.

The 13-nation global oil cartel — which includes Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Iran and Hugo Chavez's Venezuela — will hold an emergency meeting in Vienna Friday to discuss the steep and rapid decline in oil prices.
"The era of cheap oil is finished," Iran's Oil Minister Gholamhossein Nozari boasted on Tuesday.

When asked what price Iran would want for its oil, Nozari declared, "The more the better."

FOXNews.com - OPEC Pushing to Cut Production, Drive Up Oil and Gasoline Prices - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Your post, with picture, is such classic Fox News/Right Wing fearmongering. I love it, and I'll bet the graphics artist(s) did too.

OPEC is considering cutting production because demand has been low, because no one could afford to buy gasoline.

Your "news" sources want you to stay afraid, not educate yourself like you think you're some kinda a elitist.

Doesnt it insult you that they have so little respect for your intelligence?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Your post, with picture, is such classic Fox News/Right Wing fearmongering.

OPEC is considering cutting production because demand has been low, because no one could afford to buy gasoline.

Your "news" sources want you to stay afraid, not educate yourself like you think you're some kinda a elitist.

Doesnt it insult you?
Still - IMO it would be a huge mistake to be complacent and think that the now lower gas prices will stay that way long term and go back to driving gas guzzlers. Prices will be back up and even higher than it was, because it only takes a small somewhere in the world problem or "if the breeze is not blowing quite right" to jack up oil per barrel prices almost instantaneously.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Doesnt it insult you that they have so little respect for your intelligence?
Awesome. I would rep you, but I still have to spread the wealth around a bit.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Really??? People were pushing for more oil when gas was selling for a buck or less per gallon?

No one complains until it hits their wallet. Do away with oil and put your mind at ease.

The dabate over drilling in ANWR started back in the mid 70's.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The dabate over drilling in ANWR started back in the mid 70's.
And then the embargo ended, and we went right back to gas guzzlers once the cheap OPEC oil started flowing in again.

The boat to "energy independence" pulled out of port decades ago.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
That's why car makers are tanking. Toyota had the mindset to think ahead. That's why they are #1 in the world. There's a reason why GM is in the tank. They will come out with the Volt and it will be too late. It will be expensive and unreliable. Toyota will have something better by then, more than likely. No vision by U.S. automakers.

Hell, if the entire U.S. drove hybrids, we wouldn't have a problem.
A danger of relying on Toyota is that they manipulate cost by limiting production. Folks who were on waiting lists and finally got their Prius were complaining that the price of the car had jumped from about $23,000 to over $26,000. They don't have to increase production for us and probably won't.

I agree about GM. Sheesh, they're really behind the times and need to get with it!!!!!! Of course, GM is so mired in labor and union issues that the behemoth isn't as versatile as a company like Toyota.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Still - IMO it would be a huge mistake to be complacent and think that the now lower gas prices will stay that way long term and go back to driving gas guzzlers. Prices will be back up and even higher than it was, because it only takes a small somewhere in the world problem or "if the breeze is not blowing quite right" to jack up oil per barrel prices almost instantaneously.
It's only supply and demand. This is what happens when the oil doesnt get bought. I'm just saying the OP's "news" source mangles the information it provides her in order to keep her afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies