Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The funny thing about that 10 year time frame is that many were pushing for more drilling more than 10 years ago.

If we wait another 5 years to start drilling then guess what, it will still be 10 years before we get the oil.

That has the be the most overused, useless sentence in the whole drilling debate.

Really??? People were pushing for more oil when gas was selling for a buck or less per gallon?

No one complains until it hits their wallet. Do away with oil and put your mind at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The funny thing about that 10 year time frame is that many were pushing for more drilling more than 10 years ago.

If we wait another 5 years to start drilling then guess what, it will still be 10 years before we get the oil.

That has the be the most overused, useless sentence in the whole drilling debate.
whats useless is thinking more oil will fix our energy problems in the long run.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,163,511 times
Just wait til the inflationary aspects of the recent Treasury/Federal Reserve involvements in the financial sector hits. Will you still blame OPEC then?

$4trillion injected over the past 6 months just based on the articles I've read. This doesn't include the bailout money.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Untitled Document (http://cc.pubco.net/www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.html - broken link)

We could spend less money on this technology than we have spent in Iraq to fuel our growth with little adverse effect.

Also, hemp, switchgrass, and sugar beets need to be looked at.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
is your expert the attendant at your local station?
The attendant at your local station probably wants to never see high gas prices again so people will quit going in there angrily blaming him for the cost of gas that he has no control over. Moreover, gas stations make little if any profit actually selling gas.

I might be wasting my time trying to explain this to anyone who is uninformed enough (granted, you didn't start this topic and name it) to think that OPEC has any direct influence over gasoline prices. They can only affect their output of crude oil, which is refined into gasoline, and their talk of pulling back has had little effect slowing the slide of crude prices so far due to slowing global demand and the correction of a speculative bubble in the market.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Untitled Document (http://cc.pubco.net/www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.html - broken link)

We could spend less money on this technology than we have spent in Iraq to fuel our growth with little adverse effect.

Also, hemp, switchgrass, and sugar beets need to be looked at.
I will add used cooking oil to that list. You see a guy or gal every so often on the local news who has powered their vehicle to run on used cooking oil. It would help out seeing as we are a country of lard-a--es!!! Me included...lol

Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I might be wasting my time trying to explain this to anyone who is uninformed enough (granted, you didn't start this topic and name it) to think that OPEC has any direct influence over gasoline prices. They can only affect their output of crude oil, which is refined into gasoline, and their talk of pulling back has had little effect slowing the slide of crude prices so far due to slowing global demand and the correction of a speculative bubble in the market.
So you're telling us that with global demand decreasing, we should expect supply to decrease as well? That sounds like free market thinking. That's not how we do it in America.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I will add used cooking oil to that list. You see a guy or gal every so often on the local news who has powered their vehicle to run on used cooking oil. It would help out seeing as we are a country of lard-a--es!!! Me included...lol
Be sure to pay your state fuel taxes.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The attendant at your local station probably wants to never see high gas prices again so people will quit going in there angrily blaming him for the cost of gas that he has no control over. Moreover, gas stations make little if any profit actually selling gas.

I agree somewhat on OPEC, however you are wrong about the stations not making much money on gasoline. If they only make a couple pennies per gallon on gas, they wouldn't be in business. Most people don't even go inside to pay for gas anymore, so that rules out the owner making money on snacks. The bottom line is when the "boss" calls the station and tells them to raise the price three times in one hour, they are adjusting their profit. These station owners are in business for a reason. Like I said, if gasoline sales weren't profitable, they wouldn't sell it.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Why is it so hard to want an ALTERNATE form of energy? Are you AFRAID of change? Do you really think drilling, which is not progress by the way, will really help? It will be 10 years before the first drop hits a gas tank. How about continuing to cut back? Oh...that's right. We need oil to power that big Chevy Suburban that drives a 3-person family. Years of greed and excess, this is what you get.

Biofuel
Electricity
Solar
Wind
Fuel Cell

THESE are the true answer to our fuel problems. When you master the alternate forms of energy, you truly become independent and will choke the Middle East off the map. If we can go to the freaking moon in 1969 in a rocket with computers that would pale in comparison to even our worst home PC's, we can master alternate forms of energy to power our cars. God, has this country become lazy!!! Stop thinking like a caveman!!!
I agree that we need alternative fuel cars. But you apparently haven't considered that they currently aren't affordable for many Americans or even widely available! It will take a VERY LONG TIME to finesse the technology enough to make the cars affordable enough for average folks to buy and to increase the supply of them.

in 2004, I was third on a waiting list for six months to buy a Toyota Prius and the list never moved. My car bit the dust and I had to buy something else -- a Saab sport wagon that gets very good gas mileage. A few months after buying the Saab, I called the Toyota dealer to see how much the list had moved. They had only received ONE Prius. I would have been on that waiting list for two years at that rate!

We're NOT THERE and it will take a while to get there. In the meantime, we need to expand our domestic oil sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies