Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
who would help the poor if the rich stopped making money?

I give of my OWN free will, I do not need a middle man to distribute the 20% of my income I donate to Charity's in my area, especially one that would keep a good portion of that 20% for overhead, and office costs.
Who would keep the rich people rich if the poor and middle class stopped making money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who are you, that thinks you can rake in a quarter-million a year off the top of the US economy, and not have any responsibility whatsoever to the well-being of America?
You are pathetic. I work for mine, you apparently live off of others.

Quote:
You did not create any new money. At the end of the year, you had $250,000 that belonged to somebody else at the beginning of the year.
Apparently it didn't belong to you because you couldn't get your behind out of bed to work the hours I do. I create new money all the time...through a lottery machine, a new product I buy and sell AND they new money goes to me , not you. You pathetic example of an Obama lover.

Quote:
And the nation and the community, who have paid you all that money our of their own pockets, making you wealthier than 95% of Americans can even imagine, have no right at all to expect anything back from you? There are very few people that I have absolutely no respect or admiration for, but occasionally one pops up..
Poor you. Get a real job or get over it. What DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING? How many kids do you have? How old are you?

My business is recession proof. The worse off the economy is the better I do. I hope Obama gets elected but I will never vote for a liberal. Obama as POTUS will only increase my sales. Maybe it will make up for the extra taxes that I have to pay and pass off to the likes of you. And other morons who have no clue what a "copyright" violation is.

Quote:
I don't know you, but I will bet that not only do you not work your arse off, but you have never done a day's work in your life that you could not have done wearing Gucci shoes. You "make" $1,000 a day "working your arse off"---about a quarter of the people in the world do work that would physically kill you in a week, and make less than that in a whole year.
That's how pathetic you are. Where are you on Christmas? How many hours do you work in a week? I don't own anything Gucci or any other brand -name "Real houswives" crap. I don't make ENOUGH to waste it on Gucci or Prada or anything of the like. Good luck with that one. Jeans and sweatshirts...t-shirts and shorts in the summer...Asics are the most expensive sneaks I've bought.

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you a hard luck story, because I was born as lucky as you, I just didn't spend my whole life grabbing a thousand dollars a day from people who were less lucky than I was, and then gloating over it on message boards and daring people to try to ask me to do something for those beneath me. If you want to brag about yourself, tell us about the gaudy trinkets you buy to ostentationsly show off to the peasants. If we could do our lives over again, and I could choose mine or yours, yours is not even under consideration. I've heard you sob story, and I don't have one. I haven't earned one.
I wasn't born lucky, jerk-off. I worked for it. And my money isn't hanging off my ears or put into my cars or my "toys". It's all socked away for my kids. The rest is fun stuff like, I don't know, clothing for me and my husband? College funds for my kids? Sorry you can't afford it, but you are NOT my responsibility. Change jobs or grow up and actually work for something rather than a union or out of spite.

Quote:
Moderator: Yes, this is personal---but the OP specifically asked, dared, me to tell him what I think.
No dare. A simple question as to why YOU think you can take from ME when you haven't done or given up what I have. Not in a day, a week a month or a year.

Go cry to your union. Noone else cares.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Are you a good Christian? The Bible teaches the rich to share their wealth with the sick or poor. If they don't they are dammed for eternity.
I'm a Jew. Got something to say?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 PM

218 posts, read 468,747 times
Default got worms

yep exactly! But some people would want you to put the worm on the pole.

Quote:
to summarize in short

"give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I bet he sets the price. It used to be somebody else's money, and now it is his. He hasn't told us what he does to so richly deserve a thousand dollars a day. except some vague "worked his arse off". I suspect he buys things low and sells them high, and never even sees what he sells, and the heaviest thing he lifts all day is a Blackberry or maybe a third martini. I'm looking forward to seeing the OP and a camel duking it out at the eye of the needle.
Why didn't you answer the question? How old are you and what makes you think I owe you ANYTHING?

Nice try, however.

Vague? Of course it is. You can't IMAGINE anyone working more than you DON'T. You and your fellow "poor me, the "rich" don't deserve it"[mod cut] can't grasp the simple fact that there is a HUGE difference between making $300K a year and $1 mil +. How can you NOt get that? I don't make $10 mil a year for crappy acting in a crappy movie like Angelina Jolie does. Please! If I made $10 mil a year for a few months of work I'd be MORE than happy to give your [mod cut] at least a million. Who really NEEDS that kind of money anyway?

And HE is a SHE (me).

SHE doesn't deal with the stock market. SHE runs a retail business that all the Obama supporter buy their lottery tickets, booze, cigs, snacks, little things, etc. at. SHE also owns apartment buildings full of morons....[mod cut]

I work my arse off. You apparently do not . Must be nice! You won't be getting an additional penny from me. Trust me.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-03-2008 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-02-2008, 10:53 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Yah that is all well and good unless the guy with the huge boat and fishing nets didn't happen to come along and clean the lake out of fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma
to summarize in short

"give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Or the guy dies of starvation waiting to afford to go to school to learn to fish....or maybe Noahma believe in free college education...I do.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma
to summarize in short

Or the guy dies of starvation waiting to afford to go to school to learn to fish....or maybe Noahma believe in free college education...I do.

I worked my tail off and received many scholarships. I worked two jobs, and went to school full time to get where I am now. It was not easy, but I managed to earn my own education. With the grants and scholarships available for anything under the sun there is NO reason for someone to NOT go to school, well... unless they do not want to work hard for it.

I managed to get a 2000.00 scholarship for being left handed, and a 1500.00 one for having hazel eyes. They are out there for anything and everything you can imagine.

No I do not believe in free college education.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM

117 posts, read 168,085 times
Quote:
Who are you, that thinks you can rake in a quarter-million a year off the top of the US economy, and not have any responsibility whatsoever to the well-being of America?
And who are you to say that he doesn't have the right, and hasn't earned the right, to keep the money he has worked hard to get? Who are you to say that the people who started from scratch, had no money at first, got a good education, tho they depended solely on scholarships, and made something of themselves, who are you to say that they don't deserve the things in life that they have?

Also, who are you to say they ARENT giving back? My step dad is clearly above the 250k mark, but also below the 1 million mark. He CONSTANTLY is giving and giving and giving. He is ALWAYS being asked for money from charities and he rarely turns any charities down. So who are you to judge based on income only? Seems rather unjust and really ignorant of you to do. You don't know those people that make that money and you really don't know what they do with it.

Sure, not everyone donates to the poor or to charities, but who are you to say who does or doesn't if you don't even know their name?

Quote:
You did not create any new money. At the end of the year, you had $250,000 that belonged to somebody else at the beginning of the year. And the nation and the community, who have paid you all that money our of their own pockets, making you wealthier than 95% of Americans can even imagine, have no right at all to expect anything back from you? There are very few people that I have absolutely no respect or admiration for, but occasionally one pops up..
You, seriously, need to site your numbers because I, for one, don't believe any of that BS.

250k somehow is only 5% of America? Funny, because roughly 79% of income taxes are paid by the TOP 20% of Americans. The bottom 40%? Pay nothing. So there goes that argument of, "I shouldn't have to pay as much taxes as the rich" because, quite frankly, you don't. Ask the "rich" when they get their tax returns how outrageous the numbers are.

[% Ranked by AGI] - [AGI Threshold on %] - [% Federal Personal Income Tax Paid]

Top 1% - $388,806 - 39.89%

Top 5% - $153,542 - 60.14%

Top 10% - $108,904 - 70.79%

Top 25% - $64,702 - 86.27%

Top 50% - $31,987 - 97.01%

Bottom 50% - <$31,987 - 2.99%

Who Pays Income Taxes? See Who Pays What

Quote:
I don't know you, but I will bet that not only do you not work your arse off, but you have never done a day's work in your life that you could not have done wearing Gucci shoes. You "make" $1,000 a day "working your arse off"---about a quarter of the people in the world do work that would physically kill you in a week, and make less than that in a whole year.
Please refer to the bolded part of this statement as I, once again, draw upon this concept.

"I don't know you"... at least you're honest. You don't know him. So you don't know that he enjoys a nice pair of Gucci shoes while he buys his wife a Prada bag. You know, I used to sound just like you? I hated my step dad because he would buy a new car every few years just because he didn't want to lose value on the previous one. I'd get so mad, telling him what a waste of money it was... but one thing he pointed out to me, it wasn't my choice, it was HIS hard earned money and I am one that knows first hand just how hard he worked. He was a business owner, that doesn't involve just going into a fancy office and sitting their all day in some nice Gucci shoes, no sir. It involves a lot of **** that someone like you may not understand, especially if you're throwing around unstable accusations such as these.

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you a hard luck story, because I was born as lucky as you, I just didn't spend my whole life grabbing a thousand dollars a day from people who were less lucky than I was, and then gloating over it on message boards and daring people to try to ask me to do something for those beneath me. If you want to brag about yourself, tell us about the gaudy trinkets you buy to ostentationsly show off to the peasants. If we could do our lives over again, and I could choose mine or yours, yours is not even under consideration. I've heard you sob story, and I don't have one. I haven't earned one.
Well congratulations on not having a sob story, it'd serve no purpose anyway. I, myself, don't have one either. Granted my family now has money, I am not spoiled like a rich kid would often be viewed as being. I am in no means like Paris, where I have things handed to me, only to screw things up for myself. I'm am in college, I have a part time job, and I eat Ramen Noodles like it's all this earth contains. I don't complain, I'm trying to make something better for myself. I appreciate what life has given me.

See, what I'm trying to point out here, is that not everyone fits your stereotype, in fact, a lot of people don't. Those are the silent ones, the silent majority. Only those that are loud and gloat, those are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name. So before you just so harshly on a group as a whole, remember to check yourself and remember that you're sadly mistaken in your overly exaggerated views of them (tho some fit it perfectly, very few :P)

Old 11-03-2008, 02:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
You are pathetic. I work for mine, you apparently live off of others.

Apparently it didn't belong to you because you couldn't get your behind out of bed to work the hours I do. I create new money all the time...through a lottery machine, a new product I buy and sell AND they new money goes to me , not you. You pathetic example of an Obama lover.

Poor you. Get a real job or get over it. What DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING? How many kids do you have? How old are you?

My business is recession proof. The worse off the economy is the better I do. I hope Obama gets elected but I will never vote for a liberal. Obama as POTUS will only increase my sales. Maybe it will make up for the extra taxes that I have to pay and pass off to the likes of you. And other morons who have no clue what a "copyright" violation is.

That's how pathetic you are. Where are you on Christmas? How many hours do you work in a week? I don't own anything Gucci or any other brand -name "Real houswives" crap. I don't make ENOUGH to waste it on Gucci or Prada or anything of the like. Good luck with that one. Jeans and sweatshirts...t-shirts and shorts in the summer...Asics are the most expensive sneaks I've bought.

I wasn't born lucky, jerk-off. I worked for it. And my money isn't hanging off my ears or put into my cars or my "toys". It's all socked away for my kids. The rest is fun stuff like, I don't know, clothing for me and my husband? College funds for my kids? Sorry you can't afford it, but you are NOT my responsibility. Change jobs or grow up and actually work for something rather than a union or out of spite.

No dare. A simple question as to why YOU think you can take from ME when you haven't done or given up what I have. Not in a day, a week a month or a year.

Go cry to your union. Noone else cares.
Wow, you have the worst grasp of how nations work. A stable middle class is crucial to a nation. That's great that you made tons of money. I applaud you. I strive to do the same (I work effin hard). However, let's face it, the rich are erroding away the middle class. The ultra-rich. The people in the UC system that increased tuition to give themselves pay raises and buying luxury highrise apartments (chancellor at UCSC, later killed herself since she was exposed for stealing money). Enron execs, Worldcom execs. AIG people who went to Vegas. It's not you personally, its the entire system. My brother makes as much as you. My parents made (prior to retirement) a respectable 80-95k. But in California, it does not go far. At least they bought WAY before the bubble, thus, able to live like they were making more. However, when my dad was done with grad school, he was on food stamps. Not because he didn't work hard, but because he was a teacher not making that much money. You have to understand that pay is not tied to hardwork. There are more factors involved. My brother made more than my dad, but my dad made more of a difference as an inner city teacher. I went to my dad's school got a 4.5 gpa. It was a school highly divided along social lines; middle/upper middle/upper class IB students and really poor regular ed students. Funding was better for the IB classes, in terms of books, but our seats were literally from the 1950s. The roofs were leaking constantly. There was asbestos, roaches in the cafeteria. I think that fostering a stable middle class is crucial to our economy. Otherwise, we will have a third world, two tiered economy. It's already starting to happen in Los Angeles. LA has the nation's largest homeless population, larger than NYC which has a bigger population. Do it for your children, they won't have healthcare immediately after college (once they are done, your benefits run out). This is assuming that they don't get a job immediately after (hardly anyone does). Oh, and they will pay A LOT for college. I'm 40k in debt, I am so thankful my parent paid 30k and scholarships were around 10k. This was at a public school. Most people don't have 80k to give. If you do, congrats.

I'm just saying that a healthy middle class actually is better than an ailing middle class. It's not always individual strength. Most of the time it's due to circumstance.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
Quote:
I worked my tail off and received many scholarships. I worked two jobs, and went to school full time to get where I am now. It was not easy, but I managed to earn my own education. With the grants and scholarships available for anything under the sun there is NO reason for someone to NOT go to school, well... unless they do not want to work hard for it.

I managed to get a 2000.00 scholarship for being left handed, and a 1500.00 one for having hazel eyes. They are out there for anything and everything you can imagine.

No I do not believe in free college education.
Why shouldn't a college eduaction be free? Just because... I mean most people don't have the resources to obtain scholarships...plus THERE IS A LIMITED AMOUNT of scholarships and grants. I mean in a society that places so much value on education, we are really f'ed up in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies