Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State your stance on Abortion and the Death Penalty
I am "Pro-Life" and for the Death Penalty 35 28.46%
I am "Pro-Life" and against the Death Penalty 10 8.13%
I am "Pro-Choice" and for the Death Penalty 42 34.15%
I am "Pro-Choice" and against the Death Penalty 36 29.27%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do your research, murder rates are LOWER in countries without the death penalty. Or prove yourself the fool, the choice is yours.

I suspect you belong to the party of "no facts shall be considered in my rants", a.k.a., the repukes.
Not always.

Homicide Rate by Country

The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

Of the four countries with the highest number of homicides, two have the death penalty while the other two do not.

Two countries with a very low murder rate which do allow capital punishment are Saudi Arabia and Japan.

While France enjoys a much lower homicide rate, the suicide rate is about 80% higher. I wonder what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
I am "Pro-Choice" and against the Death Penalty.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I am Pro-Choice and against the death penalty.

I am Pro-Choice until viablity. I think up until then it should be between a woman and her health professional.

As for the death penalty. I am against it for two reasons. The first is that I have met and listened to people who were on death row, but were proven innocent. In many cases racism, and or poor representation played a role in their original conviction. As such I feel there is often at least a small risk of wrongful conviction. Secondly with executions they tend to be both expensive and painless. Why pay tens of millions of dollars so someone can peacefully die in their sleep when when you could put them in a ****hole correctional facility making license plates for life with no chance parole. (and by no chance of parole I mean no chance of parole).

Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Is it hypocritical to be Pro-Life and for the Death Penalty? Or vice versa ("Pro-Choice" and against the Death Penalty)?
I suppose it depends on your reasoning.
I don't really see embryos as having acquired actual personhood, so I have no real problem with a woman choosing to abort for whatever reason floats her boat (though in the case of the apocryphal Woman On Her Twenty-Third Abortion, I reserve the right to opine that she's stupid not to try something less invasive as a means of avoiding parenthood).
As for the death penalty...I have mixed feelings. Mostly I'm against the idea of the State killing people on behalf of the populace. OTOH, it's not like humans are an endangered species, and the world would be the worse if a select few went missing.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
pro-choice here.....until the 5th month anyway. then my opinion changes.

death penalty???? ABSOLUTELY! as a matter of fact it needs to be expanded to include repeat sexual predators [violent or not] and repeat violent criminals, especially gang members. and no more of this lethal injection horsepucky. let the punishment mirror what the victim was put through.
Capial punishment for speeding in residential areas! Yay!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
what you talkin bout son. them folks on death row HAD THEIR CHANCE. killin a babys alot different then killin a murderer. you lib folks really cant tell the difference or ya just talkin **** to keep abortion legal?
First off, you don't "kill" a fetus. It is not murder to prevent a fetus from completely developing because a fetus is NOT a baby.

Capital punishment, however, IS murder. No matter what a person's done, he or she is still a living human being.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
First off, you don't "kill" a fetus. It is not murder to prevent a fetus from completely developing because a fetus is NOT a baby.

Capital punishment, however, IS murder. No matter what a person's done, he or she is still a living human being.
Ultimately, on a societal level, I think the question comes down to defining murder, and further defining whether it's ever justified. From a purely biological-level POV, one could posit that it's not entirely unheard of. From a moral level... depends on how you define your morality. And that gets sticky, when even people who claim to follow the same beliefs can't agree.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Deliberately harm a pregnant female causing the death of the unborn child and in over half of the states - you can be charged with murder of a human being.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

439 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't believe that abortion amounts to killing a baby. That doesn't mean I like the idea at all--
Why don't you like the idea if it's not a baby?

If it's no more than a bit of tissue like a wart or mole, why the hand wringing?

What's causing your discomfort with it?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post

When the fetus has been aborted, it is dead. Before it was aborted it was alive. If that isn't killing, you don't have a hole in your ass.

Murder is the unlawful taking of life -- hence its definition as a felony. In states where capital punishment is legal, the taking of lives under the statute relating to executions does not constitute a crime of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies