Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times

Advertisements

Becuase, its a part of your families history and your beliefs sometimes as well and where you came from..everyone in this country has roots to another country thats all there is to it, heritage in New Mexico is important to those who live here. My heritage is Hispanic-Spanish from Spain, and i do have sum Italian in meh too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
american culture is 500 years old (predates the declaration of independence) everybody in the world is clear on what is american culture except us.
americans dont like each other very much do they.
always trying to emphasize that they are not really americans they are from somewhere else.
until they find out what somewhere else is really like.
So, an interest in our ancestry indicates a self-loathing as Americans?
And the rest of the world has a better handle on what our culture is than we do?
Time to cap the vodka bottle.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times
Americans are certainly hyphenated because it's not a nation-state. Hence the feeling patriotism instead of nationalism. Americans are rarely of one ethnicity and tend to only know stereotypical things of say Italy or Ireland, which are even outdated as the countries have changed a lot since some of their ancestors emigrated.

Moose1234, a lot of Europeans didn't escape. Europeans kind of got rid of these people. A lot of people emigrated because they were poor looking for a better life - such as the Swedes that emigrated to Minnesota (read Vilhelm Moberg's The Emigrants). Many of the Europeans that came to the U.S were religious minorities like the christian fundamentalists we see today. They weren't crème de la crème of their respective societies. Europe as a whole was quite developed.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
America rules, and everywhere else sucks.
And you know this because you've travelled ther world extensively...

(Sorry, I used a long word - you probably think I'm gay now)

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
The groups most "into" their heritage seem to be the ones who were the most discriminated against in 19th and early 20th century America, for example, the Irish Catholics. The disconnect is while almost no one publicly discriminates against them now, Irish Catholic hyper-identity-politics and culture still exists as a defense mechanism. I think it'll disappear over the next generation or at least become more subtle.

My mother's family is Scottish. We enjoy baking shortbread at Christmastime and I love a good single-malt scotch whiskey, but that it the extent of our cultural identification with Scotland.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
While I enjoy looking at where my family history started, I am more interested in the legacy I am going to leave.

Respectable sons who hopefully turn into respectable men that love their families, and are honest in their dealings. Real men, who stick up for who and what they believe in and are willing to fight if need be to keep that safe, but who also can appreciate the beauty of a simple flower or enjoy the music of the wind in treetops. Well rounded individuals who are "hardcases" when they need to be, "softys" when they need to be, and intelligent enough to know when each extreme needs to be applied.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

My mother's family is Scottish. We enjoy baking shortbread at Christmastime and I love a good single-malt scotch whiskey, but that it the extent of our cultural identification with Scotland.
Which is probably the same for most Americans. The world is made up of potential Americans.

People of all kinds of ethnic groups eat shortbread and single-malt Scotch whiskey. I like Glenlivet.

I actually believe more in the importance of American influence through popular culture that have been great the last 50 years or so. So if an American travelling abroad feels familiar with a place it's most likely because of popular culture, and not something traditional.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Well personally for me, I was amongst the first generation in my family born here, so for myself and a lot others like me our foreign heritage is still very much relevant. I still have quite a bit of family in the Dominican Republic.

I think people should be proud of their heritage, it is after all part of what makes you. But of course you should never forget that if you were born in this country and/or live here you should be proud of the U.S.A. as well, if not more proud. Personally I consider myself American first before anything.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
i get awful sick and tired of people braggin and talkin about their heritage and askin me what mine is and ****, i always answer "American". when they dont know what im talking about, i tell them that being American is the only thing that matters, my ancestors escaped some ****hole in europe hundreds of years ago, who gives a **** which one it was?

America rules, and everywhere else sucks. so i dont give a **** what mine is

Ancestry is interesting. If you look in the right places, you can clearly see social trends in America based on one's ancestry. You might even learn something.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,036,491 times
They want to find something special and unique to them. Besides, we are nothing without our history. It is because of our heritage that we are who we are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies