Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

I know this is somewhat random, but after watching a 70-minute documentary on YouTube about "The Falling Man" in which we are re-introduced to all of those who had to struggle with the terrible decision of either burning alive in their offices (or Windows of the World restaurant) or leaping to their doom thousands of feet below I am now shedding tears. Words can't describe how powerfully moved I was by those photos. Living so near to New York City I knew of people whose relatives and friends were lost on that fateful Tuesday morning over seven years ago. That entire day all we did in school was watch the national news, pray, and console one another. When I heard the vague headline of "plane down in Pennsylvania" my stomach turned sour as I knew of several potential terrorist targets here in NEPA. Thankfully the plane went down in a very rural area on the opposite end of the state, but that didn't make knowing that dozens more perished in that field near Shanksville any easier.

I watched a few 9/11 videos of the World Trade Center with Enya's Only Time playing in the background, and I felt as if I was just undergoing a total emotional catharsis. Here at the end of 2008 many people have all but long forgotten the horrors of that day, including myself. Earlier this evening on our way home from dinner the topic was somehow broached, and my parents and I discussed where we were when we first learned of the attacks. I had to go home, fire up YouTube, and just have my mind re-flooded with all of those terrible memories. We still have a small stack of newspapers in our basement from that week from various local and national publications. One of those, the Wilkes-Barre, PA Times-Leader newspaper did a special section entitled "Just Like Us" in which they showcased a collage of portraits of some of the victims on the front page with more personal stories of the victims and their loved ones on the inside pages.

God bless America!

http://dixieugadawg.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/wtc-firefighters-raising-flag-flores-large.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Yes. Too many have forgotten.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Far too many have forgotten. Complacency will only get you killed.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
One of those, the Wilkes-Barre, PA Times-Leader newspaper did a special section entitled "Just Like Us" in which they showcased a collage of portraits of some of the victims on the front page with more personal stories of the victims and their loved ones on the inside pages.
It's always so painful to sit and look over that section again. You see grandmothers, brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, neighbors, co-workers, bosses, daughters, mothers, fathers, young children, fire fighters, police officers, secretaries, waiters, business executives, etc., etc. They all come from very different walks of life, yet they all perished in the same location. This tragedy honestly knew no boundaries whatsoever. I can only imagine what must have been going through the minds of those sitting in the offices in the World Trade Center as they looked outside and saw a large commercial air craft barreling right into their building, much less wondering how terrified those on-board the planes must have been. I'm reminded of "Let's Roll," a phrase now synonymous with heroism over the Pennsylvania wilderness that likely saved many more lives in Washington, DC. I'm reminded of those brave souls in the World Trade Center who rushed back inside the building in an attempt to save those still inside. I'm reminded of the story of one individual who wouldn't leave the side of his physically-handicapped friend, who had no way out, and they perished together as a result.

I'm just so deeply humbled and moved now about my own life that I truly can't describe these emotions. I've been getting very depressed over my failure at being able to locate a job, my failed long-term relationship, my ailing grandmother, etc. as of late but this truly makes me feel some solace and comfort in at least knowing that I'm alive and have friends and family who care about me.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Scran I don't have the option to forget anything. I do have the option of turning off my television when people choose to exploit the tragedy to further themselves politically or economically.

So no, I don't care too much for fake patriotism, wearing a T-shirt or putting a bumper sticker on a car. Every attempt at emotional manipulation has been met by my resistance. Even in the form of my reluctance to read your thread.

That flag... America is a great place when we stick together in truth. When we put aside differences in deference to the constitution. Cali's on fire, all fire fighters across our great nation come to aid and defense. Louisianna is drowning, the rest of the states mean to martial their efforts to help if not for gov't in the way. NYC falling down tractor trailers full of supplies arrive from all over the country.

That flag... THIS is the real WE the PEOPLE standing firmly outside the reach of political manipulation.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Forgotten, who would those people be?

Is the problem that people don't wear it on their sleeve, don't anguish over it everyday is that the problem?

What would you like Americans to do, relive on a daily, weekly, monthly basis those frightening moment that have been forever etched into the mind of every sentient being?

Trust me, no one has forgotten, we are just trying to get on with the mental healing.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Is the problem that people don't wear it on their sleeve, don't anguish over it everyday is that the problem?

What would you like Americans to do, relive those frightening moment that have forever been etched into every who sentient being's mind on a daily basis?

Trust me, no one has forgotten, we are just trying to get on with the mental healing.
Possibly you based on your defensive reply.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Harborlady, I share your sentiments about the flag image. To me that is indicative of how that tragedy touched each and every one of us from sea to shining sea---not just those in Manhattan, Shanksville, or Arlington. I can still remember the prayers, flowers, supplies, money, etc. that was sent to those who were in need at the time. To me this snapped us out of our self-centeredness as a nation and brought us all closer together in order to help one another cope with the unimaginable. That image to me represents the best our nation has to offer, which is exactly why I posted it.

I was deeply, deeply touched and moved by 9/11, but I had largely swept its emotional impact into a dark corner of my memory until tonight when I just let it all come flooding back into my mind. Now I'm truly just in awe at the sheer power and magnitude of this disaster. I can still remember flirting with the idea of joining the military when I had turned eighteen a few years after 9/11 in order to help avenge those whose lives had been lost. Now people just carry on with their lives as if nothing had ever happened. 9/11 came and went here in PA in 2008 with nothing to show for it. There was no moment of silence, bells chiming, ceremonies, etc. People just went on their merry ways text messaging, chowing down on fast food, trading stocks, etc. as if the day meant absolutely nothing. It was a shame. It truly was.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

What would you like Americans to do, relive on a daily, weekly, monthly basis those frightening moment that have been forever etched into the mind of every sentient being?

Talking about your feelings and emotions is the best way to heal. I still feel as if a great number of those who were affected grieved for a while, and then just bottled up their emotions without fully coming to terms with what had happened. I suppose I did too to an extent because for years I had not even given 9/11 a second thought until tonight, and now I realized through my tears earlier this evening that there was still some unresolved emotions within me as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Possibly you based on your defensive reply.
Is that supposed to have some sort of rational meaning?

Defensive? No, my friend, more like insulted that you would have the arrogance of assuming some exalted sense (and thereby delusional) of self perception that you have some greater reverence for those events than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies