Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Look everyone!!! Another angry response against the Christian faith... Do you participate in any Christmas related activities? Gift giving? Holiday pine trees? Holiday parties? Holiday decorating? Watching holiday themed tv programs?
Oh come on. A lot of that's just old pagan stuff anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
So say Merry Christmas! And I'll say "Happy Holidays" or something similar if I'm not sure what someone celebrates! And we'll all be thoughtful and happy!

This is really an invented crisis.
Well that's the problem. We say Merry Christmas, and SOME people don't consider that thoughtful and become very UNhappy. It absolutely is an invented crisis. Invented by people who hate Christianity.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
So on your next birthday if I said Happy Columbus Day, you would not be offended?

After all, its the thought that matters.

Of course it matters.
That all depends. If my birthday was on Columbus Day, I wouldn't be offended at all! So if someone wished me "Happy Holidays" during the "Holidays", I'd be juuuust fine with it.

Seriously, guys. MANUFACTURED ISSUE.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I don't see why that should even be an issue. I don't live there, but I know there are plenty of Jewish people in the south for starters. If I know someone is Jewish I will wish them a Happy Hanukkah. It isn't about hurting anyone's feelings. If I'm not sure, I say Merry Christmas. If someone wants to take offense at my genuine well-wishes for them, then I guess they can do so.

It really is a shame that the PC crowd has to try to make people feel BAD about sending GOOD wishes. Maybe they didn't get enough love when they were growing up and the holidays are a reminder of all that they missed out on in their lives.

Not an issue for me either. It's an issue with the kids...KIDS...you know...kids!

Quote:
Well that's the problem. We say Merry Christmas, and SOME people don't consider that thoughtful and become very UNhappy. It absolutely is an invented crisis. Invented by people who hate Christianity.
Hahahaha. That, of course, is THEIR problem. This has nothing to do with hating Christianity. That's silly.

This has to do with people using generic greetings and other people getting pissed off about it. It's silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Not an issue for me either. It's an issue with the kids...KIDS...you know...kids!
Well they're your kids, so it's your issue.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Oh come on. A lot of that's just old pagan stuff anyway...
And what is it primarily known to represent today?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha. That, of course, is THEIR problem. This has nothing to do with hating Christianity. That's silly.

This has to do with people using generic greetings and other people getting pissed off about it. It's silly.
OK, so why is it wrong when one side gets upset (the Merry Christmas people), but it's not wrong when the other people get upset (the Happy Holidays crowd)

Do you really think it's only one side who gets upset over this?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Who cares?

The vast majority of so-called Christmas traditions, (the tree, the holly, the mistletoe, presents to children) derive from Pagan traditions and winter solstice celebrations. If a person isn't a Christian, then it is likely the holiday doesn't hold the connotations of a religious celebration.

If you want to say "Merry Christmas", then fine. If you want to say "Happy Holidays", I'm good with that one too.

Live and let live I say. It's certainly not worth getting your panties in a twist over.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Well they're your kids, so it's your issue.
You know...I don't really care what they say to their friends..Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or Happy Kwanzah or Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! You need a life and mind your own kids. I'll make sure to have them respond to your post and you argue with a 10-year old, okay? Now go to your room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies