Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,877,621 times

Advertisements

I have the solution.

Miami Vice: best Opening Theme ever! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,485,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Let's be civilized, and not start any flame wars..

I was just watching a documentary on the miami dade county channel, on cubans arriving in the 60's and 80's, when the haitians came.

and how the south florida paradise was lost after the cubans/haitians came.

I've been hearing the same from old white folks.

Your opinion?
Never been so can't really comment but if the First 48 is any guide I can see how someone can arrive at such a conclusion.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,359,162 times
Quote:

I was just watching a documentary on the miami dade county channel, on cubans arriving in the 60's and 80's, when the haitians came.

Your opinion?
I've lived in Miami for 60+ plus year and so have observed every second of its change from a lovely American city to a quasi banana republic.

We few white non-Hispanic residents who still remain in metro Miami-Dade (a single digit demographic) have learned to live as foreigners in our home city.

As a long time resident, I think what irritates me the most is the assumption of the Cuban population that their rise to power in Miami was due to their superiority as a people. They often point to their accomplishments, as compared to those of other immigrant groups, as evidence of this assumed fact, without ever acknowledging that they were given an advantage that no other immigrant population in the history of this country has ever been given: there is no such thing as an illegal Cuban immigrant - never has been. Cubans have entered this country with impunity since 1959. The Cuban American Adjustment Act of 1966 (3/16/00 Cuba: The Cuban Adjustment Act) made it official. Cubans in Miami have prospered, not by their superiority, but by their sheer overwhelming numbers. They are Miami's 50 year tsunami, with no end in sight.

Last edited by ray1945; 08-31-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM

17,412 posts, read 12,036,891 times
Quote:

Your opinion?
Well, I guess this means Rubio is in contention for VP. Why else would the "Cubans are evil" talk be starting?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,160,477 times
Yankees ruined it long before anyone else had a shot at it.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,359,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, I guess this means Rubio is in contention for VP. Why else would the "Cubans are evil" talk be starting?
I can assure you that, down here in S. Fl, it has been an on going conversation for 50 long years.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
Quote:

Your opinion?
Alright here's the story when Cubans arrived in the 80's they started trafficking drugs mostly cocaine. All the building that that were built in downtown Miami were made from that cocaine money. The Haitians really didn't do anything they were just the ones who messed up downtown Miami by laying on the streets as homeless and filling those streets with crime that did not involve drug dealing.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,060,513 times
Quote:

Your opinion?
In some sense, I always think of haitians as being drags on society (welfare queens) and cubans as being arrogant, rude. But on the other hand, the latin flavor has made miami a major tourist destination and fashion center. I don't know how it was before they came? Was miami considered to be exotic? Or just like any other city on the gulf coast? I mean, where would you choose to go for fun, miami, fla or mobile, ala?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,914,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In some sense, I always think of haitians as being drags on society (welfare queens) and cubans as being arrogant, rude. But on the other hand, the latin flavor has made miami a major tourist destination and fashion center. I don't know how it was before they came? Was miami considered to be exotic? Or just like any other city on the gulf coast? I mean, where would you choose to go for fun, miami, fla or mobile, ala?
I think Miami was already a tourist destination before it was turned over to the Cubans. Once, Miami was the door to the Everglades, and known for orange groves and was somewhat exotic because of the tropical climate and alligators. It was more of a US-American city, not the Capital of Latin America, more middle class including middle class tourists instead of the ultra rich with third world poverty that it is today. Now it's exotic because it's the playground of the very wealthy Latin American oligarchs and of course the drug lords.

There are other reasons that Miami was always more a tourist destination than Mobile, Alabama. The ocean and beaches mainly. My grandparents used to love going to Miami but they would talk about the orange groves, ocean fishing, and tropical birds, it seems it was more nature and parks around back then.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,329,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I don't think it's the Cubans and Haitians that "ruined" South Florida/Miami, it's the fact that most of them were poor. The blame should be on the government for accepting so many poor people. It's good to help out, but if there is too many, you cannot help them anymore and the ghetto will just continue to grow and grow.

In the late 19th and early 20th century the United States accept tens of MILLIONS of poor Europeans into the country MOST OF THEM ENDED UP IN LARGE URBAN GHETTOS AND ENCLAVES. Some of these urban enclaves still exist in many American cities today. Usually after 2 or 3 generations people assimilate, get educated and move up the economic ladder. This has happened to basically every immigrant group that has ever came to this country of their own free will.

Don't act this has never happened before in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies