Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM

140 posts, read 232,326 times

Advertisements

It's amazing nowadays how in today's world of the Internet some uneducated flamer who doesn't have the brains to write a simple sentence correctly--"Did Cubans & Haitians Ruined [the word is "ruin"] South Florida/Miami?" can start a flame war with a leading question that encourages haters to come out of the woodwork. Then you have bitter and unhappy, delusional fools with too much time on their hands and an ax to grind, who, also, happen to have a shangri-la view of Florida before 1959 posting dribble all over the place.

To start off, the question combines two groups that have nothing in common with each other. One is mired in poverty and the other has produced people like the Fanjul's and the Bacardi's as well as at least 100 families worth over $100,000,000. While Haitians live primarily in Liberty City, the Cubans have moved out of Little Havana [which is now mostly Central and South American] and have settled all over South Florida including exclusive Palm Beach and Star Island where homes run into the millions of dollars.

Of course, the haters on this board focus on Cubans [they see Haitians as little fry not worth bothering with], but they were never the focus of the string anyway. The intent was to phrase the question in the most negative way possible in order to elicit the most negative types of responses. And of course, it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Did you live in Miami in the 50s, 60s, 70s?
No, but i didn't live during slavery either. But i know damn well that it existed.

That's irrelevant whether or not i lived there.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
It's amazing nowadays how in today's world of the Internet some uneducated flamer who doesn't have the brains to write a simple sentence correctly--"Did Cubans & Haitians Ruined [the word is "ruin"] South Florida/Miami?" can start a flame war with a leading question that encourages haters to come out of the woodwork. Then you have bitter and unhappy, delusional fools with too much time on their hands and an ax to grind, who, also, happen to have a shangri-la view of Florida before 1959 posting dribble all over the place.

To start off, the question combines two groups that have nothing in common with each other. One is mired in poverty and the other has produced people like the Fanjul's and the Bacardi's as well as at least 100 families worth over $100,000,000. While Haitians live primarily in Liberty City, the Cubans have moved out of Little Havana [which is now mostly Central and South American] and have settled all over South Florida including exclusive Palm Beach and Star Island where homes run into the millions of dollars.

Of course, the haters on this board focus on Cubans [they see Haitians as little fry not worth bothering with], but they were never the focus of the string anyway. The intent was to phrase the question in the most negative way possible in order to elicit the most negative types of responses. And of course, it worked.
All true, but to be fair, the Cubans and Haitians didn't exactly come here under the same circumstances either. Now don't take it as me picking on the Cuban community because it's neither here nor there to me...i don't give a damn about South Florida one way or the other.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,346,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, but i didn't live during slavery either. But i know damn well that it existed.

That's irrelevant whether or not i lived there.
You stated:
Quote:
My point is that it was no paradise before the Cubans and Haitians arrived there. Simple as that. Maybe for a narrow portion of the population, but it was hell for other people.
We agree on your first statement - I said as much in my post. Your second statement, "a narrow portion of the population" is just not true. The majority of Miami residents in the 50s would have said it was "a nice place to live." Not a paradise, just a nice place to be.

You didn't live here, yet you are certain that living in 1950s Miami was "hell for other people" - in your opinion, the majority of people. Who would those people be? Where did they live? What were the "hellish" conditions of their lives?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,801,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
EVERY group here drives terrible because the Key Stone cops here need to go to traffic school so they learn that turn signals, not going through red lights,reckless driving should be ticketed.

The drivers here are an abomination becasuse the politicians couldnt care less thus laws arent enforced and the key stone cops seem to not know what basic driving rules are.

If you took the same Black-White-Hispanic ,etc drivers put them in another place like N.Florida they will drive correctly real real fast .
Here its acceptable ONLY due to the worse politicians in N.America in charge.

Keep in mind people have a tendency to do what they can get away with and in S.Florida as far as driving and few other things the sky is the limit.
Yeah. Like ability to fix any ticket for about $75

Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,801,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The City is called Lake Worth, and if you think I'm kidding, do yourself a favor and google it. It's a major problem where there wasn't one before. Jesus, if you don't want honest responses to questions, WHY do you ask?

World's Most Dangerous Street Gangs: Top 6 one of the most criminally successful- and brutal- gangs in South Florida

Lake Worth? I used to play chess at sbux on Lake
The east side is tollerable, the west - real ghetto.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,417,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Some [like you I presume?] would call them cowards, then apparently "some" don't know Cuban history. What was the Bay of Pigs? Oh, I forgot, those who fought back are usually called "mercenaries." That's the word that's usually used to describe them. And what about the Escambray uprisings? When thousands of peasants rose up against the regime and were bombed to Kingdom come? Of course, the fact that Cuba had more political prisoners per capita in the early years of Castroism than even Nazi Germany in its onset, doesn't mean a thing. That's not a sign of bravery. All of those Cuban prisoners of conscience were probably all just a bunch of cowards.

Communism created millions of exiles all over the world. Cubans weren't the only people who fled that scourge of the 20th century, a scourge that killed more people than Nazism. In fact, the figure hoovers at around 100 million people worldwide. The United States had an open doors policy towards anyone who fled communism. Cuban Americans weren't the only people who benefited from the U.S.A's cold war policies. My Russian Jewish friends from the Bronx got generous aid to go to New York University one of the most expensive schools in NYC, simply because they had come from a communist country, they also breezed through immigration, no long waiting lists, instant residency and then citizenship. So, please, don't single Cubans Americans are as these singular recepients of "priviledges."

While Cuban Americans will be eternally grateful to the U.S.A.'s for its generosity, it is what you do with that generosity afterwards that determines who you will be.

There are millions of people in the USA who have been the recepients of much larger largesse, welfare, affirmative action, medicaid, generous scholarship grants to go to college, etc...and they have done ABSOLUTELY nothing with this help. They are bogged down in a cycle of generational welfare where everyone from the grandmother to the newborn grandchild lives off the government doe.

Cubans on the other hand used their ingenuity and work ethic to built up businesses and to re-validate their professional liscences in order to again become doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, etc.. What ever aid was given to them was quickly returned as they created a strong tax base and opened up businesses that not only employed Cuban Americans, but also created a job source for native Floridians.

As for crime. What ethnic group doesn't have crime? Especially when you have a have a tyrant 90 miles off the coast of Florida who purposely empties his prisons into the USA in order to defame Cuban Americans and so that people like you can play into his into his hands and then harp about how Cubans are criminals.

I got news for you, if I went to any country in the world, even a famously low-crime, and model-country like Switzerland and I started emptying their prisons into Miami, you would also have a steep rise in crime in Miami in no time. However, would it be fair to then blame the average Swiss for this orchestrated crime wave?
You mean businessmen like Jorge Mas Canosa and Luis Posada Carriles?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We've been through this before........................Just because you have never encountered a light Haitian does not mean that light Haitians don't exist............and just because you deny the existence of most black Dominicans (by saying they're really Haitians), does not mean that lots of Dominicans are not obviously of predominantly African origin.
Agreed, I attended high school with several light skin Haitians.

Also

Born in Cap-Haitian and very religious man, the new Haiti Prime Minister designated, Daniel Gerard Rouzier is a successful business man. He is the CEO of Sun Auto and the president of a 30-megawatt heavy fuel oil power plant named E-Power S.A. with assistance from the World Bank

In a recent statement, businessman Daniel Gerard Rouzier told the public that Haiti was open for business again. The only thing he did not know is that he was going to be designated by the new
Haitian president to direct the the business of Haiti.

Quote:
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Thursday July 7, 2011 - President Michel Martelly has issued an urgent call to businessmen in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) to invest in Haiti to help create wealth for that country’s development and reconstruction.

Most Dominicans will run as far away from their African roots as they can. A substantial portion of was is considered "Dominican History" is predicated on sweeping any traces of their African origins under the rug. The reality is there are very few Dominicans that do not have at least some African lineage in their family.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 08-12-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,463,139 times
We need to start another one of these threads, in California for a certain group of people.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
Haitians? No. Cubans? Yes.

Sadly, African Americans have become completely marginalized in South Florida. Section 8 housing vouchers go to Cubans first. African-Americans who have lived in Miami for generations have been shoved aside for Cubans. Speaking Spanish has become almost a pre requisite for employment in Miami now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies