Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,339,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My family moved to Miami in 1951 when I was 5 years old. I still live Miami-Dade. It was never a "paradise," but it was a damn nice place to live. And, contrary to what some have posted, it was not a backwater "town" - it was a city. We had a thriving downtown, suburban shopping centers, expressways, an international airport, a nationally televised New Year's Eve parade, restaurants, movie theaters - everything that defined a metropolitan area for the times (50s/60s/70s).
Question: could a black man go down to the pool for a nice swim in 1951?

Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Retired Jewish people from up north

Quite safe, quite cheap. Really was a paradise back then. (late 70's for me).
Right. A paradise for a sliver of the population. I doubt it would've been a paradise for me in the days before the Cubans arrived.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,359,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Right.
No - Miami was a segregated city, just like all others in the south. What's your point?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Right. A paradise for a sliver of the population. I doubt it would've been a paradise for me in the days before the Cubans arrived.
Seriously - do you think Miami desegregated at the urging of Miami's Cuban refugees? Really??

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,662,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
"Did Cubans & Haitians Ruined South Florida/Miami?" (You meant "Ruin," right?)

No, of course not. Nothing ruined SoFla, it is what it is and suits me just fine. MUCH better today than 30 years ago TO ME (actually DW too).

What slowed down/hampered Miami's development into an even better/more interesting place with more professional opportunities was a combination of the influx of Marielitos + the cocaine wars + growth + many established people leaving all within a few years of each other. (Andrew being the last straw for lots of folks.) The whole combination.
A vacuum was created and it's taken a while to fill the void (I still don't think we're 100% there). Many people took advantage of the vacuum, some good, many bad. As Luiso pounds on every post, politicians got/get power without having the populations interest at heart, etc.

TO ME, much of the "anger" you see is usually 1 of 3 things, anglo's being "angry" that they became a minority, hispanics being "angry" that they aren' being acknowledged for their contributions and "old timers," of all colors, being angry that Miami has changed so much. Well, of course, some people are just jerks and some people get a bit antsy in the heat too, but pride is a tough nut for some people to get past.

EVERY city in the US has poverty, crime and "bad" people. EVERY SINGLE ONE. SoFla is not immune, THAT fact has nothing to do with Cubans or Haitians. Are things worse than they have to be b/c so many poor/under-educated immigrants have filled in? Of course. But to me, that alone hasn't held Miami back.

Good post.
All cities are merely microcosms of what goes on everywhere.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Seriously - do you think Miami desegregated at the urging of Miami's Cuban refugees? Really??
Obviously that's not what i mean. Hell, they were the segregationists in their own country to some degree.

My point is that it was no paradise before the Cubans and Haitians arrived there. Simple as that. Maybe for a narrow portion of the population, but it was hell for other people.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
No - Miami was a segregated city, just like all others in the south. What's your point?
That it was no paradise on the eve of the Cuban Exodus for many of its own residents.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,593,659 times
Quote:

Right.
Exactly. Hell, it wasn't even until 1949, that Jews weren't banned from hotels in Miami Beach--and for a long period they were restricted to live south of 5th Ave. Miami was strictly segregated, WASP controlled town for a long time.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
That it was no paradise on the eve of the Cuban Exodus for many of its own residents.
Did I say it was a paradise?? Go back and read my post.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Obviously that's not what i mean. Hell, they were the segregationists in their own country to some degree.

My point is that it was no paradise before the Cubans and Haitians arrived there. Simple as that. Maybe for a narrow portion of the population, but it was hell for other people.
Did you live in Miami in the 50s, 60s, 70s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies