Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 AM

138 posts, read 196,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unemployment - Race, Gender, And Marital Status

Unemployment trends by race

Oh, I keep forgetting that blacks are lazy and don't want to work. They ALL prefer to receive welfare, and live off of the hard-working non-black taxpayers. That explains why they have a substantially higher percentage of unemployment.

But wait . . . white people aren’t getting hired due to preferential treatment those unqualified blacks receive, who only get jobs through Affirmative Action and quotas.

This is so confusing.
Putting words in others' mouths are we???

Nobody said that. Without affirmative action and other racist programs, those statistics would be even more reflective of reality than they are. In no event, should a White person (or any person) be discriminated against because of his race and/or skin color. That's what makes the "diversity industry" the corrupt immoral racist thing that it is.

Are you going to deny incarceration rate differentials too? purport that they only exist because of racism, which is what it seems you are implying as the reason for the low White unemployment rate.

Gee, did it ever occur to you that Whites are employable, less likely to be incarcerated, etc. etc.? That they deserve to earn and achieve what they can fairly?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I have applied for maybe 10 jobs this year and every time the question about my race comes up. Why is that? Really?
How do we know that companies are not using that for what I fear they do?
Because the government needs to know they are meeting race quotas, that's why.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
I wonder how many white people sued for being fired due to color of their skin and won?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 34,030 times
I am black and from the ghetto and grew up poor but that is no excuse for not wanting to compete in the "white world". I have excelled in every field I have worked in and have achieved a great deal of success. In my experience my friends from childhood who are black like me and had the same opportunities as i did either get intimidated by a majority white environment or get involved in the wrong things and get sidetracked in life. What alot of non blacks do not realize is it is intimidating to be the only black person because you have to be 2 times as good as your white counterpart to receive any praise. Put yourself in an environment where you are the only white guy in the building and tell me how that feels and i dont mean prison guard. It is hard and different but the understanding is that fear is what keeps us as a nation from excelling together we are all americans and if you just look at it from the other side of the window you might understand why affirmative action is there to keep the few minorities that do want to compete in the race.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
I have applied for maybe 10 jobs this year and every time the question about my race comes up. Why is that? Really?
How do we know that companies are not using that for what I fear they do?
It's optional to fill that in (and illegal as LSD to require you to). Don't fill it in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Social engineering...

Tell 'em you're part hispanic, part black or "African", part chinese, part eskimo and so on.

They'll love you for the tax breaks they can reap off of your claim.

I've done it before....
On second thought, this is a better idea

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. REO View Post
I am black and from the ghetto and grew up poor but that is no excuse for not wanting to compete in the "white world". I have excelled in every field I have worked in and have achieved a great deal of success. In my experience my friends from childhood who are black like me and had the same opportunities as i did either get intimidated by a majority white environment or get involved in the wrong things and get sidetracked in life. What alot of non blacks do not realize is it is intimidating to be the only black person because you have to be 2 times as good as your white counterpart to receive any praise. Put yourself in an environment where you are the only white guy in the building and tell me how that feels and i dont mean prison guard. It is hard and different but the understanding is that fear is what keeps us as a nation from excelling together we are all americans and if you just look at it from the other side of the window you might understand why affirmative action is there to keep the few minorities that do want to compete in the race.
The black C-D members who were discussing the OJ case here, didn't seem intimidated by whites.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Because the government needs to know they are meeting race quotas, that's why.
I work for city government in staffing. The supplemental page that asks for race is completely optional. The reason it is asked is because the commission sends the statistics out to another agency that reviews who is applying for what position. The city has quotas to fill for hiring minorities, that's it. If a certain position is lacking numbers of minorities, that is looked at. I don't see where the paranoia is coming in w/some on this thread.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM

138 posts, read 196,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. REO View Post
Forced diversity and affirm action are racist. I can't believe that a black man would support racist anything.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I work for city government in staffing. The supplemental page that asks for race is completely optional. The reason it is asked is because the commission sends the statistics out to another agency that reviews who is applying for what position. The city has quotas to fill for hiring minorities, that's it. If a certain position is lacking numbers of minorities, that is looked at. I don't see where the paranoia is coming in w/some on this thread.

So if you don't answer the question will you even be considered then? Or do they waite until they see you in person?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
So if you don't answer the question will you even be considered then? Or do they waite until they see you in person?
Yep, as long as you have the minimum qualifications for the position, you'll be scheduled for the civil service exam. Then, depending on if you passed or not, you get put on an eligible list. The department that is doing the hiring hires people based on their rank on the eligible list, so they just go down the list. They have no idea who is male or female or what their race is, it's all completely based on the score. Of course, if you have convictions that are job-related or if you didn't list your convictions on your application, where it clearly tells you to list them, then you're out of the running. But again, has nothing to do w/the supplemental page. As I stated, that page is optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.