Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You can't be "ex-gay" anymore than you can be "a little bit pregnant" - LOL. One can live as a straight person, but they will always be gay/bi if those are their natural tendencies... just my opinion, of course.
If they are bi, they have a choice. Who are you to look down on them for perusing a female relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If they are bi, they have a choice. Who are you to look down on them for perusing a female relationship?
Unrelated, but why do people keep talking about gay people like they're all men?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Unrelated, but why do people keep talking about gay people like they're all men?
Because the thought of two dudes getting it on is gross, while the thought of two women getting it on is HOT!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Because the thought of two dudes getting it on is gross, while the thought of two women getting it on is HOT!
I think it's also part of society's idea that women are unimportant compared to the other sex, so you never see the anti-gay crowd carrying on about women--women aren't even worth hating like gay men are. It's like we barely even exist.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Hey, can I call in Gay on April 15th....I'm whaaaay to ghaaay to pay taxes!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Hey, can I call in Gay on April 15th....I'm whaaaay to ghaaay to pay taxes!
Boy, you've got the voice inflections down perfectly. Moderator cut: Inappropriate

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-11-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
I think it's also part of society's idea that women are unimportant compared to the other sex, so you never see the anti-gay crowd carrying on about women--women aren't even worth hating like gay men are. It's like we barely even exist.
Did you ever see the Six Feet Under episode where Kathy Bates gets "Claire" to start shoplifting? She says, 'we are two women over fifty, we are invisible - we'll never get caught'.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Nah, it's not that, I don't believe. It's more that two guys together have always gotten a much stronger negative reaction than the idea of two women together. Gender identities for men in our society are a lot more rigid than gender identities for women. Example: It's perfectly acceptable for a woman to wear a dress or pants. For men? Uh, well, no way.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Hey the Bible says women are NOT to wear men's clothes..

Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Did you ever see the Six Feet Under episode where Kathy Bates gets "Claire" to start shoplifting? She says, 'we are two women over fifty, we are invisible - we'll never get caught'.
Never seen Six Feet Under before, but that sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale
Nah, it's not that, I don't believe. It's more that two guys together have always gotten a much stronger negative reaction than the idea of two women together. Gender identities for men in our society are a lot more rigid than gender identities for women. Example: It's perfectly acceptable for a woman to wear a dress or pants. For men? Uh, well, no way.
So you think that men always come up in the arguments because opponents of GLBTQ rights are using gay men because people react more negatively to them and it helps their cause?

I think all of these things are at work in some way. I remember hearing in the Holocaust course I took that lesbians were rarely taken to concentration or death camps, while gay men were quite often. I understand there's some evidence that the government felt that it would be easy to use women for reproduction even if they were lesbians, whereas gay men were considered useless. You could take a lot from that--gay men are considered more repulsive, women in general are seen as more receptive to manipulation, lesbianism wasn't even thought to be something real, women weren't worth bothering with/punishing for lesbianism, yet somehow male homosexual relationships were seen as harmful to society, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies