Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Pro-life 66 35.68%
Pro-choice 119 64.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,193,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I believe she stated that she miscarried but was arguing about the potential effects had she carried the child to term.
I know now. I didn't realize that at the time. Though she supports abortion, and perhaps therefore in her own circumstance too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
We'll take it step by step then.

I wrote: "Again I'll repeat myself. Not all laws are just. Ever hear of Nazi Germany, American slavery? Apparently not."

What do we have here...."not all laws are just," followed by, "Ever hear of Nazi Germany, American slavery?"

That's the context. It isn't extremely ambiguous.
Why are we arguing about this anyway. What a waste of time.
Duh...

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Duh...
Fine, then let's take the greater context which was....

"Well fortunately the issue of legality was solve, oh, thirty-five some years ago. Obviously some people have trouble moving on..."

My statement that followed this post concerned the unjustness of laws being the justification for not "moving on". My reference to Nazi Germany and slavery was within the context of my statement on unjust law. They were used as examples. So, if you couldn't see that, then that is not my fault alone.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Fine, then let's take the greater context which was....

"Well fortunately the issue of legality was solve, oh, thirty-five some years ago. Obviously some people have trouble moving on..."

My statement that followed this post concerned the unjustness of laws being the justification for not "moving on". My reference to Nazi Germany and slavery was within the context of my statement on unjust law. They were used as examples. So, if you couldn't see that, then that is not my fault alone.
Okay then.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
*sigh* Abortion is a sensitive subject for many. I am pro-life in the sense that I believe that all children have the right to life. Although I do not wish to go into specifics, had my biological mother been pregnant with me during today's times, I'm sure she would have been talked into an abortion considering the specific circumstances surrounding my birth and the embarrassment and shame she went through to carry me to term. I was born with multiple genetic issues that took surgery to correct and have had a challenging life. I was fortunate to be adopted by a loving family who raised me as their own flesh and blood. Although I have suffered a lot in my life, I'm very grateful to my biological mother for bravely carrying me to term. She (and of course God) is the reason I am here today.

Although I am pro-life and wish to see abortion eliminated, there are some circumstances where I feel it is justified.

1. If the mother's life is in jeopardy if she continues carrying the baby
2. If the pregnancy was due to rape. I do feel that abortion may actually make it emotionally harder for a woman to heal from rape, but that is a choice that I would support if the mother chose to have an abortion.

Charolastra00 and ArmyPoohFan317, both of your stories have touched me and I can only imagine how difficult it was to be impregnated after being raped. My heart goes out to you both. God bless.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Okay then.
whatever.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
whatever.
Dude, don't be so combative, I said "Okay then" to acknowledge that your words had been taken out of context, although unintentionally. You don't have to start stuff.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
"The government doesn't choose who dies, the person who gets the abortion does."

How can that possibly justify killing a baby?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The government doesn't choose who dies, the person who gets the abortion does."

How can that possibly justify killing a baby?
Did I say that was justification? No, that particular statement was in regards to a claim that legalized abortion was the same as euthanasia as employed by Nazi Germany. I think those two are hardly the same thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Did I say that was justification? No, that particular statement was in regards to a claim that legalized abortion was the same as euthanasia as employed by Nazi Germany. I think those two are hardly the same thing.

"Nazis didn't regard Jews as persons deserving rights either. They were correct by their own standards."

You inserted euthanasia into the conversation on abortion. An innocent person is murdered in either case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies