Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Oh yeah as if Israel is serious about peace. Look it up and you will see that Israel will always initiate something whenever it looks like peace might break out. As for Israel's security? What??? A nation with all of the US's money n weapons behind it plus the illegally production of nuclear weapons...?
You mean like when the nation was first formed and almost the entire Arab world invaded? Or like that time in 1967 when the Arab world amassed troops on the border with Israel and publicly declared there will be no talks and no peace? Or when Egypt and Syria attacked Israel during the most holy of Jewish holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Excuse me for someone supposedly well educated you are stereotyping.
All I was trying to do was to educate people on the historical foundation of Israel. I have never said Hamas is good or Jews are bad. The Jews from the bible who were living in Palestine were gone. Those that came to fight for Israel were from Europe and other parts of the world. In the most recent history it was the Jews that took it all from the Palestinians. Period. Forced them to live in the gaza and west bank or all over the world -- a large diaspora.

You should not make assumptions as I am a non-practicing ex-Jew though I am not semitic. I am now agnostic. I have been to Israel and I know many Israelis who are symphatetic to the plight of the Palestinians. .I too have 2 advanced university degrees like you. So do not diminish me by your trite comment. It appears there is no arguing with you as you fail to understand the analogy between what is happening in the middle east and what happened in north america and in all other countries in the world where populations move.
Don't try to discipline me--it's not going to work. I haven't made any "assumptions" about you. I've responded to the content of your posts, which are almost wholly ignorant about the history of the Middle East. For example, the Jews didn't just "pretty much leave"--as though "leaving" were a voluntary act on their part. They "were gone"--how antiseptic your view of history is--because they were murdered or driven out. Those that came to fight for Israel were from other parts of the world because those were the parts of the world where they ended up after having been driven out of their homeland.

The Palestinians have attempted to destroy Israel from the beginning. You can either accept that reality or not. And they will not stop trying, no matter how much land is given to them. Apparently, that's a concept you just can't understand.

There is no "analogy" between the U.S./Native American history and the Israeli/Palestinian history. European settlers of the U.S. were invaders of a foreign people and land. Israeli settlers are taking back land occupied by Arab invaders. For you, apparently, the time difference makes all the difference.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'm saying that Israel is attacking those who attacked it and I do not have any sympathy for Hamas. I do not enjoy civilian death and destruction and I sympathize with the innocent people in Gaza.

There is an African proverb that comes to mind, "When elephants fight, the grass gets trampled". That is basically what is happening in Gaza, innocent people are getting caught up in a fight that they have no control over.

However, although I sympathize with the innocents of Gaza, I make it clear that it is Hamas that caused this conflict. And I do not think that Israel is deliberately targeting civilians, if for no other reason that Israel has even firepower to make it far more than a few hundred civilian deaths. If Israel did not care about killing civilians (or if it actively wanted to kill civilians) they would do something similar to what Syria did with the city of Hama in 1982, they would close off the entire area and shell it constantly until nobody would dare to launch another rocket. Yes, Syria killed over 20,000 of its own citizens to deal with the Muslim Brotherhood (which Hamas is an outgrowth of).

Think of that next time you accuse Israel of deliberately trying to kill civilians or imply that it is somehow the most heavy handed nation in the region.
This thread is about Gaza not about Syria..and oh...1000 civilians deaths is not much??

Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Luckily its not too late for the palestinians to fight for what's theirs
The problem is that the Palestinians think that what's "theirs" is not just the land, but the lives of Israelis. Just like Iran, and the growing contingent of nutcase Muslim movements, think that what's "theirs" is the destruction of the West.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You mean like when the nation was first formed and almost the entire Arab world invaded? Or like that time in 1967 when the Arab world amassed troops on the border with Israel and publicly declared there will be no talks and no peace? Or when Egypt and Syria attacked Israel during the most holy of Jewish holidays?
Let me ask you a simple question : Was Israel founded on terrorism? Did the early zionists terrorise the palestinians until quite a number of them fled for fear of their lives and murder the british? With a 'neighbour' like this who wouldnt get pissed off?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
This thread is about Gaza not about Syria..and oh...1000 civilians deaths is not much??
Mentioning Syria adds context to what is going on and it works as a comparison to how other nations in the region would deal with Hamas and Gaza.

Considering that Gaza is heavily populated and that much of the fighting and bombing is taking place in some of the most populated areas of an already heavily region; I think that they have been quite limited.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The problem is that the Palestinians think that what's "theirs" is not just the land, but the lives of Israelis. Just like Iran, and the growing contingent of nutcase Muslim movements, think that what's "theirs" is the destruction of the West.
Er..what university did you go to? Can't be harvard or yale

Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Or when Egypt and Syria attacked Israel during the most holy of Jewish holidays?
By the way, you do know that Israel used jewish elements in Egypt to bomb the American university (if im not wrong but sorry if i got the establishment incorrect) in order to frame Egypt and get the US to attack Egypt?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Don't try to discipline me--it's not going to work. I haven't made any "assumptions" about you. I've responded to the content of your posts, which are almost wholly ignorant about the history of the Middle East. For example, the Jews didn't just "pretty much leave"--as though "leaving" were a voluntary act on their part. They "were gone"--how antiseptic your view of history is--because they were murdered or driven out. Those that came to fight for Israel were from other parts of the world because those were the parts of the world where they ended up after having been driven out of their homeland.

The Palestinians have attempted to destroy Israel from the beginning. You can either accept that reality or not. And they will not stop trying, no matter how much land is given to them. Apparently, that's a concept you just can't understand.

There is no "analogy" between the U.S./Native American history and the Israeli/Palestinian history. European settlers of the U.S. were invaders of a foreign people and land. Israeli settlers are taking back land occupied by Arab invaders. For you, apparently, the time difference makes all the difference.
We are going around in circles and by the way I am familiar with the middle east. I have had a good opinion of your posts in the past but on this one I think we should just agree to disagree.

This thread is a good example as to why there is no peace in the middle east.

Back to work for me.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Mo.. one has to look and understand the root of the problem before you can fix the problem.

Correct! And since Hamas has decided in advance they will not accept one single compromise, Why are we trying to find something that appeases them while they continue to target Israeli civilians with terrorist rockets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies