Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:10 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Show me this gun ban.
Cut and pasted from his own website:

They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,728,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I am impressed by the manufactured rage over Obama during the past week and the dramatic prophesies that have been posted over and over again.

I have to ask those who are so quick to judge; what if Obama manages to reverse the economy in the next couple of years? What if Obama keeps us safe during his term? And what if Obama increases your personal freedoms with regards to gun ownership or government surveilence?

If he does so without raising your taxes and without invading your privacy will you vote for his re-election in 2012 or would you vote against him based on party line ideology?
Yes I would. I hope he can pull it off....More power to him...

Carrie

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If he succeeds, Bush will be given the credit.
Actually Bush will look just like Clinton without the impeachments. Leaving the office in economic downturn. Obama will dump bunches of credit into the system with projects that won't provide feedback for atleast 1-3 years depending on the project. Things will look up long enough for him to get re-elected then that stupid buying everything on credit problem will pop backup.

One major difference Obama better fight hard for. No more attacks on US soils (Americans are *unless things have changed* willfully ignorant to attacks on Americans overseas). It's all or nothing now and none of the attacks that happened throughout the Clinton years receded in size, they grew. If another attack greater than 9/11 happens (which cost NY alone around $90 billion without the cost of the now surfacing lung diseases in everyone who inhaled the garbage from the implosions) it won't just shock our financial system which just had a heart attack it will undermine what many Americans believe as the best hope for America ever (Obama). I don't think he is putting enough weight on that fact but that's probably just the neocon coming out of me.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Cut and pasted from his own website:

They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent

Pretty skimpy...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,349 times
Quote:

I have to ask those who are so quick to judge; what if Obama manages to reverse the economy in the next couple of years? What if Obama keeps us safe during his term? And what if Obama increases your personal freedoms with regards to gun ownership or government surveilence?

If he does so without raising your taxes and without invading your privacy will you vote for his re-election in 2012 or would you vote against him based on party line ideology?
Powerful as he may be, Obama CAN'T just flip a switch and 'reverse the economy'? It's not under his control and that's the way we like it! I don't want a central planned economy.

What I don't like about his recovery plan is that the GOVERNMENT is picking winners and losers and choosing which jobs and projects are worthy and which are not. The House GOP plan places a smaller tax burden on citizens, small businesses and corporations so they can create (and, in some cases, eliminate) positions as they see fit. This recovery plan can, potentially, spend the same as the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined in one fell swoop! It's a big package and Obama is taking a huge risk by trying to get it through so quickly. He wants to sign it within the next 3 weeks.

I'm unlikely to support him in 2012, b/c he's promoting bigger Government. He is also promoting more Government borrowing and more consumption (vs production). Were he to shrink Government and let the private sector and individuals lead us out of the recession, I'd consider supporting him. At that stage, though, he'd have to leave the (D) party which WANTS larger Government!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

24,428 posts, read 23,088,846 times
Quote:
That post makes no sense. Please give examples of how "his current course will make things worse" and how Hillary was loved by the left but didn't get the nomination.

Basically you are hoping that your speculation outweighs his political expedience right?

Like this thread addressed you are judging on preconceived ideologies that are based on your own interest rather than that of the nation.
>>>>>> I suggest you start looking at the many economists that are warning that that US government simply cannot spend its way out of bankruptcy. Obama's plans have some very real long term dangers even if in the very short term they may delay further economic downturns. The fact that he's being compared to Bush in his spending plans doesn't raise any alarm bells?
Hillary was loved by the left until they felt she no longer offered the best chance at defeating her republican rivals. Then they, the true haters, fell on her like wolves. You have a short memory or at least never spent anytime reading these boards or in political chat rooms. The Obama crowd savaged her up until she conceded the nomination.
The Obama supporters are hoping that their speculation on hope somehow pays off, but more and more people aren't so sure.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,349 times
There are many very prominent economists who strongly oppose this stimulus package. Read this blog starting with the 'Is Joe Biden Disingenuous or Misinformed' entry. The recovery package is guaranteed to cost a lot of money and raise the deficit and debt, but its benefits are much less certain.

Greg Mankiw's Blog

Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Actually Bush will look just like Clinton without the impeachments...
Made to look like? Sure. But, we know better.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
I think it would be wonderful if Obama was a great success as President. I would be thrilled to see it!
Would I vote for him in 2012? Honestly, I don't know at this time. It would depend in no small degree on who else is running.
However, sooner or later he is going to HAVE to increase revenue. With all that he is talking about spending, the money HAS to come from somewhere. The ONLY source of funds the government has is taxation. He will HAVE to ask Congress for higher taxes someday. It is an absolute fallacy to think that one can increase spending and reduce taxes at the same time.
The Presidency is a killer job. Will Obama survive the stress? That remains to be seen. When it comes to his job performance, that remains to be seen as well.
I wish him luck.
He will no doubt need it.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,403 times
Quote:
I am impressed by the manufactured rage over Obama during the past week and the dramatic prophesies that have been posted over and over again.

I won't hold my breath, but I guess if he manages those things, especially in removing restrictions that the government has put on the Bill of Rights, he will have earned my vote in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies