Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,946,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You do realise more has ALREADY been wasted on the 'bailouts' than has been spent on EVERY war in US history?
And I was completely against the bailouts too. Who is going to bailout the US when it goes under? China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Prior instances of poor spending (be it the Iraq war, TARP, bailouts and other stimuli) are NOT a justification for more wasteful spending projects moving forward. This stimulus plan is an independent project and its benefits and costs are independent of previous actions.

The decision to implement this stimulus plan has NOTHING to do with the Iraq War or any other misguided past expenditures. If anything, our financial situation is a lot worse now than it was in the recent past so we need to be even MORE careful before spending money that we DON'T have.

This stimulus (as written) is a complete dud and waste of taxpayer money. I sent an email to my Congressman (through his website at least) and urge others to do the same.
Dud is putting it lightly. Some of the pork won't even take place for a couple of years. Even when it does we all know how inefficiently government is with money. I would bet that we will be lucky if even %50 percent of the stimulus package ever sees the light of day. Most will be absorbed by the corruption we call politics. I can see all the graft, payouts and under the table dealings already. Boy are the American people blind. It is time to take back the country guys.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,196,396 times
How about this use of money??

"After much delay the United States opened its new $700 million embassy in Iraq on Monday, inaugurating the largest — and most expensive — embassy ever built."

FOXNews.com - U.S. Embassy in Iraq Largest, Most Expensive Ever - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,916,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Who is going to bailout the US when it goes under?
Ever thought this is the goal??

Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,638,082 times
how bout for starters lets stop spending more than we have.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
how bout for starters lets stop spending more than we have.
The US citizen is the worst in the civilized world when it comes to spending and saving. We live on credit and are irresponsible when it comes to our debt. Is it no wonder our country is one of the biggest debtor nations in the world?

I am amazed when I see children of poor people with their cell phones. Of course what we call poor in our nation would be considered very well off in many poor nations around the world. We live in excess and don't seem to care.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,138,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I guess they are laying the ground work for possible failure and unending spending of your and my dollars. If this were a business it would already bankrupt and settling with it's creditors.

Democrats: Stimulus plan no quick fix for economy

WASHINGTON – The White House warned Sunday that the country could face a long and painful financial recovery, even with major government intervention to stimulate the economy and save financial institutions.

"We're off and running, but it's going to get worse before it gets better," said Vice President Joe Biden, taking the lead on a theme echoed by other Democratic officials on the Sunday talk shows.

At the end of the Obama administration's first week, the party in power at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue sought to lower expectations for a quick fix despite legislation expected to pass by next month that would pump billions of dollars into the economy. Democrats also opened the door for even more government aid to struggling banks beyond the $700 billion bailout already in the pipeline.

Democrats: Stimulus plan no quick fix for economy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090125/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_economy - broken link)
Clearly not a quick fix and there is no magic bullet. Also liberal Democrats from big city districts and states have and are trying to pour pork in it. Don't be surprised to see Obama relying on McCain and Republicans to help fight the pork. Remember the governors and urban mayors want to be handed checks for them to decide how to spend. That won't fly. Pelosi is no help as she needs their support within the Democratic Caucus to hold on to power.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,490,393 times
The republicans in part lost this election due in part to what is going on in this thread, a lot of complaining but no solutions. Not one republican on this board could ever explain what McCain's economic solution was. It was because he didn't have one and none of you have one either. All you're reduced to doing is critisizing Obama's plan..It's pretty pathetic but I guess you can't be wrong if you don't take a position or propose a solution.

Oh yeah, I know Soccer you're not partisan but every thread you start is critisizing everything Obama does.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,916,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
The republicans in part lost this election due in part to what is going on in this thread, a lot of complaining but no solutions. Not one republican on this board could ever explain what McCain's economic solution was. It was because he didn't have one and none of you have one either. All you're reduced to doing is critisizing Obama's plan..It's pretty pathetic but I guess you can't be wrong if you don't take a position or propose a solution.

Oh yeah, I know Soccer you're not partisan but every thread you start is critisizing everything Obama does.
What is Obama's plan??

To throw more money at it and hope something good happens?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What is Obama's plan??

To throw more money at it and hope something good happens?
LOL!!! Like I said, complaints without solution..People with brains know that Obama's plan is more than that but conservatives are stuck in a mental quagmire. Still NO solutions from the right............................

I think conservatives in congress like Obama's plan but they have to oppose it to satisfy their wingnut base. It's also a covert way to play both sides. If it works we all win, and if it fails i told you so..Conservative cowards I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies