Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,316,428 times

Advertisements

'RESCUED' CITIGROUP BUYING $50 MILLION JET

JUST PLANE DESPICABLE

January 26, 2009

Beleaguered Citigroup is upgrading its mile-high club with a brand-new $50 million corporate jet - only this time, it's the taxpayers who are getting screwed.

Even though the bank's stock is as cheap as a gallon of gas and it's burning through a $45 billion taxpayer-funded rescue, the airhead execs pushed through the purchase of a new Dassault Falcon 7X, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The French-made luxury jet seats up to 12 in a plush interior with leather seats, sofas and a customizable entertainment center, according to Dassault's sales literature. It can cruise 5,950 miles before refueling and has a top speed of 559 mph.

<snip>

JUST PLANE DESPICABLE - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,214,355 times
Certainly you don't expect these exec's to drive through America's unemployed while heading to Cancun for the weekend?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,218,146 times
Lol, not even American-made. (They bought it/contracted for it awhile ago, though, I think.)

Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,930,936 times
As I said on the other thread posted about this...all the facts please!!

They sold TWO of their current fleet for $27mil each, and they already paid the down payment on this plane two years ago. They're actually saving money by reducing their fleet.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
As I said on the other thread posted about this...all the facts please!!

They sold TWO of their current fleet for $27mil each, and they already paid the down payment on this plane two years ago. They're actually saving money by reducing their fleet.
They could have saved 50 million more by canceling this order. As you mentioned, they sold two in their fleet and since the only place they are traveling to today is Washington to beg for more and more money, a bus would suffice.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,930,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
They could have saved 50 million more by canceling this order. As you mentioned, they sold two in their fleet and since the only place they are traveling to today is Washington to beg for more and more money, a bus would suffice.
Hey, I hate 'em just as much as anyone else, but when facts are deliberately ignored in favor of sensationalistic reporting, that's annoying. The point is they didn't JUST spend 50 million on this jet. The contract for it and the downpayment for it were made two years ago, and they've downsized to compensate.

But yeah, I know...facts are hard, facts make heads hurt. Easier just to point fingers and tsk in disapproval.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,218,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Silly Tn, they dont serve brandy on buses. Didnt Willy Loman say something about "You've got to look successful to be successful"?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Hey, I hate 'em just as much as anyone else, but when facts are deliberately ignored in favor of sensationalistic reporting, that's annoying. The point is they didn't JUST spend 50 million on this jet. The contract for it and the downpayment for it were made two years ago, and they've downsized to compensate.

But yeah, I know...facts are hard, facts make heads hurt. Easier just to point fingers and tsk in disapproval.
There is that old adage, "Beggars can't be choosers", and in today's climate of economic crisis, little things like this make a big impact in peoples perceptions. Lets face it, 50 million is a spit in the bucket and hardly worth mentioning as the American people dole out billions upon billions of dollars, but don't expect people to be very understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Silly Tn, they dont serve brandy on buses. Didnt Willy Loman say something about "You've got to look successful to be successful"?
I think Billy Crystal once said, "It is better to look good than to feel good", but hey, if you can do both, let them eat cake.

In the next two years, American's are going to have to sacrifice a good many things, some due to their own apathy and some of due to predatory practices of a grossly indulgent corporate-plutocracy, so I see nothing wrong with sharing the sacrifice.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 01-26-2009 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,023,308 times
For the latest actual factual:

UPDATE 2-Citi going through with $50 mln plane order-source | Reuters

Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,343,270 times
I don't care if this is their version of downsizing.....they ran their company into the ground, they should be flying Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies