Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Thought you knew the facts - the torture, the decisions that have been made as to what they will do to the prisoners. Unless you know your facts, as I thought you might have and present no good argument for keeping Guantanamo open, it's useless to talk to you.

i'm starting to question your intelligence aylalou! please explain to me how you got the impression that i was in favor of keeping gitmo open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
what concerns me is that we are imprisoning people without charge in 'the land of the free'
Well, this isn't their land. However, we have to treat them as if they were prisoners of war, and respect international treaties of which we have been a part of, to lead by example. Not doing so is not only helping make a case against America by its enemies to recruit, it is also creating a sad scenario for our own brave. If we were to be involved in another war, any time in the future, we will be giving our enemy the reason to put our own people to be treated as such, and that is never a good idea. We won't be able to approach them with a straight face, and ask for justice per international law, because we set a precedent.

So, these prisoners need to be tried, as appropriate and on case by case basis. But it needs to be done in acceptable ways that can't be marketed against us, now and in the future. Such actions have to go beyond fulfilling political fantasies.

The incompetency, accountability and carelessness of the previous administration came to light, once again, thanks to missing case files on these prisoners. Why exactly would they do that? This is NO WAY to secure America.

"Several former Bush administration officials agreed that the files are incomplete and that no single government entity was charged with pulling together all the facts and the range of options for each prisoner"

I was also wondering, on what ground were over 500 detainees let go under Bush administration. I did hear one of the sorriest of excuses from an official, who was criticizing closure, last week that one prisoner (responsible in Yemen bombing) was let go on the ground that he claimed he was just a Muslim and not a terrorist. This official forgot, his point actually reflects badly on Bush administration and him, and has nothing to do with Obama and his move to clean the mess up.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,309,069 times

What the Arab World thinks about Barack Hussein Obama

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, this isn't their land. However, we have to treat them as if they were prisoners of war, and respect international treaties of which we have been a part of, to lead by example. Not doing so is not only helping make a case against America by its enemies to recruit, it is also creating a sad scenario for our own brave. If we were to be involved in another war, any time in the future, we will be giving our enemy the reason to put our own people to be treated as such, and that is never a good idea. We won't be able to approach them with a straight face, and ask for justice per international law, because we set a precedent.

So, these prisoners need to be tried, as appropriate and on case by case basis. But it needs to be done in acceptable ways that can't be marketed against us, now and in the future. Such actions have to go beyond fulfilling political fantasies.

The incompetency, accountability and carelessness of the previous administration came to light, once again, thanks to missing case files on these prisoners. Why exactly would they do that? This is NO WAY to secure America.

"Several former Bush administration officials agreed that the files are incomplete and that no single government entity was charged with pulling together all the facts and the range of options for each prisoner"

I was also wondering, on what ground were over 500 detainees let go under Bush administration. I did hear one of the sorriest of excuses from an official, who was criticizing closure, last week that one prisoner (responsible in Yemen bombing) was let go on the ground that he claimed he was just a Muslim and not a terrorist. This official forgot, his point actually reflects badly on Bush administration and him, and has nothing to do with Obama and his move to clean the mess up.

well put. for the record, maybe aylalou can read this too, i'm not criticizing to closure of gitmo, but imo gitmo is just a prison like any other. the real issue is the prisoners. if we just transfer them elsewhere and continue, business as usual, then i don't see that as change.

souixcia made a valid point that if the prisoners were transfered within the states, they'd be granted the same rights as detainees awaiting trial here. visitation rights, representation, no torture etc. i don't know if this is entirely true i guess time will tell!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
if your children were imprisoned without charge and a fair trial and the government decided to move them from a prison in alaska to a prison in delaware, what difference would that make?
i don't really understand the significance other than the obvious pr/spin!
well for one it would still be in the US STILL and that happens often. wheras they(Inmates from the middle east) are 1000's of miles from their native countries thats the difference in prison in another foreign country ran on another foreign country land

Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post

you couldnt even name all 22 arab countries

Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:

....... and your point is?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,309,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
you couldnt even name all 22 arab countries
I'm still waiting for Hussein Obama to name all 57 U.S. states!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Hussein Obama to name all 57 U.S. states!
im not because there arent, and dont care you do for some reason, but hey go ahead and wait on
another crazy thing is most americans think IRAN is an ARAB country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies