Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Immediate gratification over long-term growth? That's what got us where we are today.
Two things wrong with that. First, one of the issues now *is* immediate gratification -- the economy is tanking, contracting at a "seasonally adjusted" annual rate of 3.8%.

Second, one thing the stimulus bill will take care of is long-term growth. You cannot have a robust economy without a strong infrastructure, and expanding tax cuts isn't going to get you that infrastructure.

Quote:
I agree, though the GOP insistence on tax cuts will force the Dems to make a few meaningful gestures in spite of themselves. But don't worry. The bureaucrats will still get their $600 million worth of new cars....
So far I've seen complaints, real complaints, of about 1-2% of the $800 billion package. A couple hundred million for the national mall. The family planning provisions. Little stuff. (Look at all the fuss for the $200 million for the national mall -- which would, by the way, be spent on purchasing things and employing people to put those things in the ground, and that's the whole point of this.) It's not perfect, in large part because I don't think it's big enough and I would prefer some of the money be allocated differently, but it's a lot better than letting the economy tank because some folks don't like a few of the programs in the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,610 times
Quote:
You'll feel differently when you have a job.
I have a great job! I also have reading comprehension and tax-cuts have proven to have a minimal effect! The ditto heads are lying to you!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
70% of spending towards porkification of the rich's bank account? Thanks, but no thanks. And to think I saw 30% in tax cuts in democrats' proposal as a sore thumb with little to no return, immediately or in the long. Term.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Two things wrong with that. First, one of the issues now *is* immediate gratification -- the economy is tanking, contracting at a "seasonally adjusted" annual rate of 3.8%.
Even if the stimulus were to pass in its current form, none of its provisions would kick in for at least a year. The "tanking" economy is immense; (approximately 7 trillion); the stimulus package is a fart in a windstorm.

Quote:
Second, one thing the stimulus bill will take care of is long-term growth. You cannot have a robust economy without a strong infrastructure, and expanding tax cuts isn't going to get you that infrastructure.
Without private investment, stimulated by tax cuts, you have bubkis.

Quote:
So far I've seen complaints, real complaints, of about 1-2% of the $800 billion package. A couple hundred million for the national mall. The family planning provisions. Little stuff. (Look at all the fuss for the $200 million for the national mall -- which would, by the way, be spent on purchasing things and employing people to put those things in the ground, and that's the whole point of this.) It's not perfect, in large part because I don't think it's big enough and I would prefer some of the money be allocated differently, but it's a lot better than letting the economy tank because some folks don't like a few of the programs in the bill.
No one is advocating the latter. I'm just not in the mood to throw (my grandchildren's) good money after bad. Perhaps you are.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,506,469 times
There is still too much money going into tax cuts. Tax cuts only do very minimal in a situation like this. Still, a big improvement for the Republican Party.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I have a great job! I also have reading comprehension and tax-cuts have proven to have a minimal effect! The ditto heads are lying to you!
I'm guessing your job is marketing punctuation! Exclamation point division!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing your job is marketing punctuation! Exclamation point division!
Keep guessing, thats seems to be what you are doing about every topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Keep guessing, thats seems to be what you are doing about every topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unlike a person who has all the answers he can Google.

I'll take me. Any day.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:
Without private investment, stimulated by tax cuts, you have bubkis.
It is this simplistic thinking that got us where TARP stood after phase I. Give them money and everything will be fine.

No, this is a smokescreen you and many others have bought into. Tell me, why would business hire to grow in a shrinking economy? Why would they not hoard the money instead?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Unlike a person who has all the answers he can Google.

I'll take me. Any day.
Yeah that evil researched informed opinion based on facts that ditto heads hate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies