Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times

Advertisements

I actually like this plan better and i'm a democrat.

The $713 billion plan was put together by Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, who has been working with a handful of other GOP senators.

The proposal includes $430 billion in tax cuts, $114 billion for infrastructure projects, $138 billion for extending unemployment insurance, food stamps and other provisions to help those in need and $31 billion to address the housing crisis.

GOP senators draft stimulus alternative - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
It does sound good. They're haggling... and they all to be cooperating, working together. GOOD.

The mention of John Behner's petition for Republicans to go plant sod on the Mall for free - sounds so funny, but if they (and everyone) just take that volunteer mentality to heart, we're really on the right track.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Look for a final markup that falls somewhere between Martinez' plan and the Pelosi Pork Chop. Compromise is good. Delusianne is right.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I actually like this plan better and i'm a democrat.

The $713 billion plan was put together by Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, who has been working with a handful of other GOP senators.

The proposal includes $430 billion in tax cuts, $114 billion for infrastructure projects, $138 billion for extending unemployment insurance, food stamps and other provisions to help those in need and $31 billion to address the housing crisis.

GOP senators draft stimulus alternative - CNN.com
I don't. First, it's not big enough (I don't even think Obama's is). Second, tax cuts are not stimulative as direct government spending, so the overall effect of the stimulus will be less on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

I don't think the end result will be halfway. The Republicans lost the last election, quite convincingly, so rather than splitting the difference between the Repub and the Dem plan, it will look much more like the Dem plan. (In particular, I don't see anything near that level of tax cuts.)

Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
I like it. Plain and simple, and it would provide almost immediate results.

As predicted, what comes out of the Senate is much mores sensible than what is thrown around in the House. However, I would much rather the remaining $350 be unfrozen from the TARP bailout to be used to cover part of the $430 billion.

From the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Article
$142 billion for education, $111 billion for health care, $90 billion for infrastructure, $72 billion for aid and benefits, $54 billion for energy, $16 billion for science and technology and $13 billion for housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Article
The Senate bill also adds a $300 payment to seniors, disabled people and others who can't work and suspends taxes on the first $2,400 on unemployment benefits.
Sounds a lot better than some of the crap in the $819 billion stimulus plan; At least this one does not contain a plethora of unnecessary expenditures.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
It is certainly an improvement over some other republican 'plans' that are being bandied about, however, I think it is still too much allocated for tax cuts. I think the numbers for tax cuts and infrastructure should be reversed.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is certainly an improvement over some other republican 'plans' that are being bandied about, however, I think it is still too much allocated for tax cuts. I think the numbers for tax cuts and infrastructure should be reversed.
I'm with you! Tax cuts have proven to only have a minimal effect!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I'm with you! Tax cuts have proven to only have a minimal effect!
You'll feel differently when you have a job.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I don't. First, it's not big enough (I don't even think Obama's is). Second, tax cuts are not stimulative as direct government spending, so the overall effect of the stimulus will be less on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
Immediate gratification over long-term growth? That's what got us where we are today.

Quote:
I don't think the end result will be halfway. The Republicans lost the last election, quite convincingly, so rather than splitting the difference between the Repub and the Dem plan, it will look much more like the Dem plan. (In particular, I don't see anything near that level of tax cuts.)
I agree, though the GOP insistence on tax cuts will force the Dems to make a few meaningful gestures in spite of themselves. But don't worry. The bureaucrats will still get their $600 million worth of new cars....

Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Delusianne is right.
That's my kind of compromise, Yeledaf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies