Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,811,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
I'm the proud owner of a Confederate Battleflag, as an homage to my Scots-Irish heritage, the Scots-Irish being instrumental in the fundamental construction of this nation and the spearhead of its manifest destiny.

The flag is derived from the St. Andrew's Cross, the national flag of Scotland:

Every man or woman of Scots-Irish heritage should own a Confederate Battleflag and fly it from time to time in honor of their Celtic heritage.
I actually prefer this flag because it seems a less controversial:

The STARS AND BARS:

Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,676,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm Irish/Scottish and I'll shoot myself before I ever do that. To me, the Confederate Battle Flag represents bigotry and lack of education. Your flag may have meant something else, at one point. But it's been hijacked.
I believe that the burning cross was also once a Scots thing. A burning cross on the hill signaled that the Clan was in danger.

Here, of course, it came to mean something different and shameful.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I believe that the burning cross was also once a Scots thing. A burning cross on the hill signaled that the Clan was in danger.

Here, of course, it came to mean something different and shameful.
Burning Crosses the Klu Klux Klan. Not the Confederacy.

At least make a valid arguement.

Apple and Oranges.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,676,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Burning Crosses the Klu Klux Klan. Not the Confederacy.

At least make a valid arguement.

Apple and Oranges.
I wasn't attempting to make an argument, or start one, either.

Another poster referred to the Confederate Flag as a symbol of his Scots-Irish heritage. I think it's come to mean something different over here.

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of. People up here display it as a symbol of rebellion. I think all this foo-fraw over it is pretty silly. It's another non-issue for people to get excited about, an excuse for Jesse Jackson to get his name in the paper, and another distraction to keep peoples minds off the fact that the government is picking their pocket.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 PM

Well, this is why i love and respect the Confederate Flag:

-All my ancestors fought for the Confederacy

-Robert E. Lee was the finest gentleman who ever drew breath

-I am a 12th Generation Richmonder. With relatives also in the deeper south- i.e. Ark, Miss, Ala.

- We should learn and honor and respect our Southern heritage. Not belittle it because of misunderstanding and northern elitism.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,871,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
But once you get that part, you'll realize that most people who fly it aren't literally racists, they just see it as sort of a 'mascot' for being southern. The fact that it's offensive to some people just isn't important to them.
Bingo! That's probably what the directors of Dukes of Hazzard had in mind.
(Though I think there were a lot fewer people offended by it back in the early 80's.)
I also remember seeing the flag printed on record covers in the 80's and not many people noticed.

Even though I might never fly it, I will never consider the flag by itself villainous. Now that flag while flown by a white supremecist group, well that's just plain retarded. Like other posted have called it, it's symbol hi-jacking.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-22-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,871,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I think all this foo-fraw over it is pretty silly. It's another non-issue for people to get excited about, an excuse for Jesse Jackson to get his name in the paper, and another distraction to keep peoples minds off the fact that the government is picking their pocket.
Me too! As I stated in another post, I find it annoying that so many Americans spend so much time and money (sometimes tax payer's) fighting other Americans over such trivial issues, instead of diverting their energy to illegal immigration, strengthening the economy, impoving health care etc.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,760,030 times
Quote:

-I am a 12th Generation Richmonder. With relatives also in the deeper south- i.e. Ark, Miss, Ala.

- We should learn and honor and respect our Southern heritage. Not belittle it because of misunderstanding and northern elitism.
Excellent post! I totally agree with your position.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,206,809 times
Quote:

I agree as well.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 PM

259 posts, read 940,417 times
Quote:
Originally posted by James T

I'm the proud owner of a Confederate Battleflag, as an homage to my Scots-Irish heritage, the Scots-Irish being instrumental in the fundamental construction of this nation and the spearhead of its manifest destiny.
The flag is derived from the St. Andrew's Cross, the national flag of Scotland:
Every man or woman of Scots-Irish heritage should own a Confederate Battleflag and fly it from time to time in honor of their Celtic heritage.
Sorry James T you are incorrect!
In statistical terms because the north had a Larger Population than the south as a result most Scots-Irish fought for the Union.

The So called Scots-Irish settled on Plymouth rock and New England as Puritans. Most converted to Presbyterian churches. Interesting to note most Puritans were From Poland. A Branch of New England Puritans called Quakers were excommunicated moved to the south and converted to Baptist and Pentacostal churches.

The majority of Scots-Irish fought and died to save the Union from being partitioned by France and England. You are doing a terrible disservice to all of your So-called Scots-Irish ancestors who fought and died in both the American Revolution and the Civil war to save liberty, freedom and the pursuit of happiness. If the North lost the war we would still be living in a medieval feudal system with no private property rights or capitalism.

Quote:
Originally By James T

the Scots-Irish being instrumental in the fundamental construction of this nation and the spearhead of its manifest destiny.
The above statement is extremely oxymoronic because most So called Scots-Irish people (Puritans) came from Poland.

Last edited by Dee62; 03-22-2007 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies