Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the crashing world economy a bigger threat than Islamic Terrorism?
Yes, unemployed broke people can get really angry and desperate 13 86.67%
No, Islamic terrorism is still more severe 2 13.33%
Uncertain 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

40 posts, read 128,984 times

Advertisements

I understand that Homeland Security and the CIA are more concerned about the social and economic effects of the terrible economy than Islamic Terrorism. They think that as unemployment all over the world continues to growth that this will create civil unrest with a huge increase in crime and disorder. They say it has a higher risk to world stability than Islamic Terrorism. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
I understand that Homeland Security and the CIA are more concerned about the social and economic effects of the terrible economy than Islamic Terrorism. They think that as unemployment all over the world continues to growth that this will create civil unrest with a huge increase in crime and disorder. They say it has a higher risk to world stability than Islamic Terrorism. Do you agree?
Crime and disorder are the least of your problems. Periods of economic distress have more often than not been a harbinger of radical social transformation, whether it was the finacial crisis of 1776 that eventually led to the overthrow of the French monarchy or the Great Depression which resulted in the rise of marxism and fascism, and a second world war. Of course all of this is lost on the, let the markets correct themselves school of governance.

But I digress.

To answer the question, yes, economic collapse is a far graver risks to nations than Islamic terrorist. How does one compare the collapse of social orders to a few bombings and acts of terrorism regardless of how horrific the localized cost.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM

312 posts, read 507,375 times
after I've experienced the fright of a terrorist attack, I think there is really nothing worse. economy will fix itself.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Yes, Yes and Hell Yes!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Crime and disorder are the least of your problems. Periods of economic distress have more often than not been a harbinger of radical social transformation, whether it was the finacial crisis of 1776 that eventually led to the overthrow of the French monarchy or the Great Depression which resulted in the rise of marxism and fascism, and a second world war. Of course all of this is lost on the, let the markets correct themselves school of governance.

But I digress.

To answer the question, yes, economic collapse is a far graver risks to nations than Islamic terrorist. How does one compare the collapse of social orders to a few bombings and acts of terrorism regardless of how horrific the localized cost.
Very important point. When massive numbers of people suffer not only do they become desperate enought to do what needs to be done regardless of if they would have before, but the mob psychology kicks in. Re Hitler. And even more the French Revolution. The blood stained streets and people were acting on the psychology of the mob. We have plenty of people who would have no difficulty falling into that.

And remember that terrorism and bombings do not have to be external. When you can blame a guy half way across the world its one thing, but when its someone out there who could be readying the next bomb and nobody will tell its quite different. No reason to think that this would not be a part.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
after I've experienced the fright of a terrorist attack, I think there is really nothing worse. economy will fix itself.
Well until you've lived through an economic collapse on the scale of the Panic of 1873, or the Great Depression, you argument doesn't hold much weight. To make an analogy; You have experienced the fright of a tornado so you don't fear hurricanes, not realizing that hurricanes also spawn tornados.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
I voted on economic trouble being more dangerous. I wonder why all of the "militia movements" are so creepily quiet during all of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And remember that terrorism and bombings do not have to be external. When you can blame a guy half way across the world its one thing, but when its someone out there who could be readying the next bomb and nobody will tell its quite different. No reason to think that this would not be a part.
Precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
I believe the economic crash is more important than Islamic Terrorism
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies