Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Semites(Arabs included) are one of several branches of the Caucasian race, but are not white.

Not all caucasians are white. Caucasians run the gamut from very fair to olive.
Well not many people are actually "white" -- maybe if one is an albino with a 25% hematocrit. Blacks aren't really black either. Skin color is just the amount of melanin -- a brown pigment.

Really race is just the box that someone feels like checking on government forms. It really bugs the census workers if you don't check one off -- they come to your house trying to get you to pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 03:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
First, why is it important to you that Arabs be considered "white"? Second, by "white," most people mean "Caucasian." Are Arabs "Caucasian"? If so, then they are "white."
And why should it matter, unless it is seen as some [financial] advantage over being anything else??

Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And why should it matter, unless it is seen as some [financial] advantage over being anything else??
Indians used to be counted as White on the census, but they lobbied for their own category so they could get minority status and qualify for government set asides. This is the system that we've created, where there is actual institutionalized discrimination in favor of those that aren't White. Of course some groups will try to play this system to their own advantage. Why would Arabs want to be counted as White when not being counted as White actually benefits them?

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 PM

23,577 posts, read 17,249,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
First off, I know the term Arab is controversial in itself, and I've come across a number of Lebanese, Syrians, and Egyptians who don't consider themselves Arabs but rather descendents of Phoenicians and such. However, going by US Census definition, we'll include them as Arabs.

My question is why doesn't American society accept Arabs to be part of the White race? Is it because they're tanned? And if so, why do Italians and Greeks classify as White but Arabs do not? Either way, 2/3 of the Arabs in this country are Lebanese and Syrian, they're fully assimilated, Christians, and some are blonde/blue eyed. John Sununu (Bush Sr.'s Chief of Staff), Tony Shalhoub (aka Monk), Doug Flutie, Michael E. Debakey are of Lebanese descent and they could all pass for any American of any European ancestry.

My father tells me this has increased since 9/11. Pre-9/11, many considered Arabs, in particular Lebanese and Syrians, to be White. Then after it, some people in the country just wanted to single us out, as "Arab Americans."

Thoughts?
So where is the 'American society consensus' to be found?
There is none!

Most don't know who the vice president is let alone be able distinguish or care about tribal and ethnic differences.

Clearly an alien or ethic enclave mindset in the op if you think American's are homogeneous in thought, attitude, behavior and have any collective interest in someone's ethnic or tribal background unless they intend to marry that person and then Love has great anesthesic properties to make even that irrelevant.

Time to leave the old country attitudes and get with the program. Though you have a friend in the democratic party as they make a living growing 'victims' and cultivating class differences in order to get votes.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,023,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
First off, I know the term Arab is controversial in itself, and I've come across a number of Lebanese, Syrians, and Egyptians who don't consider themselves Arabs but rather descendents of Phoenicians and such. However, going by US Census definition, we'll include them as Arabs.

My question is why doesn't American society accept Arabs to be part of the White race? Is it because they're tanned? And if so, why do Italians and Greeks classify as White but Arabs do not? Either way, 2/3 of the Arabs in this country are Lebanese and Syrian, they're fully assimilated, Christians, and some are blonde/blue eyed. John Sununu (Bush Sr.'s Chief of Staff), Tony Shalhoub (aka Monk), Doug Flutie, Michael E. Debakey are of Lebanese descent and they could all pass for any American of any European ancestry.

My father tells me this has increased since 9/11. Pre-9/11, many considered Arabs, in particular Lebanese and Syrians, to be White. Then after it, some people in the country just wanted to single us out, as "Arab Americans."

Thoughts?
I would think in this day and age you'd want to be considered anything but white. But personally I don't really care.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM

510 posts, read 431,030 times
The Left/Mainstream American elite encourage use of the term "Arab American" in order to discourage those of ethnic Arabic origin from identifying as "white", since assimilation and "whiteness" are an anathema to the goals of the Left/Mainstream American elite(ie: an ethnically-centered constantly bickering easily manipulated non-elite population).

Before the Left fully took control of the media culture in the mid to late '90s it was indeed common for Arabs to be considered white.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
The solution really is to have the government get completely out of the race business. Stop giving government preferential treatment on the basis of race and as far as the government, people's race is of no concern. Take race off all government forms and census questions.

Then the whole race-ethnic questions are just between people themselves. If you want to say you're 1/3 german, 1/3 kenyan, 2/3 chinese and 1/3 french --- totally your discussion piece.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Native Americans are believed to have Asian lineage.
American Indians ARE "Asian" going by their DNA tho word is many "full bloods" are part "white" since their ancestors mixed it up in Asia way back in the day. It makes sense to me since I've run into people I thought were mostly "white" in looks who claim pure Cherokee family.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
White should ONLY be European. This means a good portion of white-Americans would no longer qualify.
Don't tell THAT to the vice chancellor of Germany: he's a German of full Asian family. LOL

Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Well, we aren't all simply out of Africa. That model was destroyed a few years ago once we confirmed through genetic testing that non-Africans are part Neanderthal. After we discovered that, we have found other groups to be mixed with other archaic species. Melanesians (Papuans, Aussie Aboriginals) are part Denisovan as well. Africans are at least 13 percent mixed with another unknown species. Chinese have signs of an ancient mixture in their genes that goes back at least 500 thousand years. Now that we know what to look for on the human genome, we are finding all sorts of evidence of archaic admixture in different human populations.
Tho ALL human beings without medical problems can have babies with each other and THEIR kids, once grown, can also have kids. To me we're the same "species".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies